Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fndmylove:
All Scuba pro...but you are probably concerned with redundancy...I do want to restate that I only have dived and plan to dive solo, very shallow for a long time, less than 30 ft. and at an average of 15-20 ft. . I use a standard 80 cu. ft. and a 13 cu. ft. slung on my right side (right handed and I prefer to use my best hand in an emergency). I know the 13 cu. ft. does not give me that much time at depth, but what depth? Also, the 13 cu. ft. has an H20Odessey Second Stage and it hangs directly beneath my face during the dive. I have my right hand placed on this second stage for most if not all of the dive. I'm also pondering a third redundant source, upside down mounted to my main, could it hurt?

Ok so Lamont was right, that sounds too defensive.

You should not dive solo because.....
you seem to think redunacy only refers to air supply.
What if you get caught in some line? do you have a knife to cut yourself out?
What if you drop your knife? do you have cutting redundacy?
What if your BC fails? Do you have redundant lift?

I cannot speak for the original poster but from my own experiences.

Packhorse:
You should not dive solo because.....
you seem to think redunacy only refers to air supply.

Packhorse:
What if you get caught in some line? do you have a knife to cut yourself out?
yes, a knife is standard equipement on all dives. I never got tangled in anything either.

Packhorse:
What if you drop your knife? do you have cutting redundacy?
actually I did but even if I didn't I am on the bottom the knife falls and I pick it up. As a backup I could remove the gear and swim to the surface from the shallow depths.

Packhorse:
What if your BC fails? Do you have redundant lift?
No, I would just drop my weight belt and kick up and float to the surface. From what I read, the early divers did not even have BC's. Also how does a BC fail?

If you have to ask then your not ready and may never be and that is not intended to be an insult. People have different personalities and different processes and reactions and that is normal and natural, not better or worse but just different. Some people will never make a good solo diver, it is not just a matter of skills or training but also a mind set and a personality. Some people are loners, I have been going solo since I sneeked out of the house with my scuba gear when I was 14 and I have never looked back. N

Divmstr223:
Why shouldn't you solo dive?

This one is easy. Because if something does goes wrong, you won't have anyone around to say "I told you so" and laugh at you...:D
And of course to kick back at the bar with and say " dam that was stupid"

How can a BCD fail, let me count the ways.

Sticking inflator, not working inflator, sticking deflator, not working deflator, stuck open dump valve, tank band or cam coming loose, buckles releasing, gear tangled in BCD, ruptured BCD.

These are what I can think of now but these don't scare me because I can plan for them. What does scare me is the 20 things that I can't think of and therefore 20 things that I can't plan for and wont expect.

David, We have a few things in common. I was brought up in Atlanta, I solo dive (at a recreational level), and my name is also David. One characteristic of scuba questions/arguments is that the answer to most of them is: "It just depends". Frequently those who are so opposed to solo diving are swimming in a more technically demanding environment with more complicated equipment: deep wrecks, cold water, current and kelp, caves, twin tanks, dry suits, etc. Team diving in these situations makes sense.

Although you have very few dives, little experience, and are young and probably "head strong" you do seem to be thinking your way through this and will probably do what you want to anyway. I am assuming that since you live in "Hotlanta", and that your dives are shallow, you are likely diving in a lake. This can be a good way to improve your skills, especially navigation, slowly increase your confidence, and increase your experience. I am not suggesting that this is a good course of action for everyone but you are likely going to "do what you're gonna do".

Another way of looking at this is to consider that, right off the bat, the odds are 50/50that if you are buddy diving the problem will occur with the other person and that you will be required to help him thereby increasing the risk to you. If the other diver's equipment is not as well maintained as yours or his experience or comfort level is less than yours, this might tilt the odds a little against you. You will have taken on the obligation to help him, but can he help you?

Again I am not recommending solo diving for anyone but it probably isn't as dangerous, in some environments, as it is made to sound. In Atlanta the risk of driving your car around the block far exceeds anything you will find in the water. Read a book entitled "Solo Diving" for a few ideas, think through what you are doing, go slowly. Also a third tank is overkill, adding only more complication and bouyancy issues. You want to keep equipment as simple as possible for solo shallow recreational diving. Have fun, be careful. David.

fndmylove:

Thanks for sharing your perspective on solo diving. More power to you. Self reliance and having fun. (glad motorcycling never heard of the buddy system!!) Could this be the secret to living a fulfilled life? I think so.

The buddy system and solo diving have their pluses and minuses. We decide our level of acceptable risk, and accept the consequences good and bad.

My perspective is that we all 'solo dive' each time we get into the water.

BTW: the thread hijacking and insults are dealt with by using the 'add to ignore list' in the smart aleck's profile. The 'usual suspects' jumped on your thread. Consider it a target rich environment for the IGNORE option. There are many thoughtful and respectful members of this board that will provide HELPFUL information, as in the preceding post.

Enjoy the water, and your solo diving.

ams511:
I cannot speak for the original poster but from my own experiences.

yes, a knife is standard equipement on all dives. I never got tangled in anything either.

actually I did but even if I didn't I am on the bottom the knife falls and I pick it up. As a backup I could remove the gear and swim to the surface from the shallow depths.

No, I would just drop my weight belt and kick up and float to the surface. From what I read, the early divers did not even have BC's. Also how does a BC fail?
This is the mentality that can reach out and bite you in the arse at the worst possible time.

Had a gal ... an instructor, actually ... die here a few years back while diving solo. It was a pretty casual, easy dive after a class and she just wanted to go out and unwind a bit. Got tangled up in some fishing line and dropped her knife. Because she was tangled up in fishing line she wasn't able to go retrieve it. They found her several hours later, still tangled up in fishing line.

That lady had several hundred dives under her weightbelt at the time.

If you're entangled, dropping your weights is likely to only make matters worse ... once you've assured that there'll be tension on the line ... due to your inherent buoyancy ... the chances of getting unentangled are dramatically reduced.

These are the sorts of things most people either don't ever think about or resolve behind a keyboard ... which is a much different environment than you'll face in reality, when your heart's thumping and your mind's working hard trying to hold off a panic attack.

Humans aren't built for the underwater environment ... we have a hard-wired survival instinct that's meant to help keep us alive. Problem is that underwater it can make us do things without thinking that could kill us. The major reason to get experience before going solo is to help you condition your mind to work on problems methodically, rather than instinctively.

Something as simple as an unexpected current or a constantly-leaking mask can turn into a major issue for the inexperienced diver who hasn't conditioned himself to handle it calmly. The problem itself isn't what will get you into trouble ... how you respond is what will often turn it into a bigger problem than it actually is. Most diving accidents are the result of improperly handling resolvable problems.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Goatfish face:
How can a BCD fail, let me count the ways.

Sticking inflator, not working inflator, sticking deflator, not working deflator, stuck open dump valve, tank band or cam coming loose, buckles releasing, gear tangled in BCD, ruptured BCD.

These are what I can think of now but these don't scare me because I can plan for them. What does scare me is the 20 things that I can't think of and therefore 20 things that I can't plan for and wont expect.

You're right! Got me thinking:

What could happen if I choose to get out of bed in the morning.
Stub toe, fall over, heart attack, fall down stairs, crash car, fall in love, heart attack, stroke, asteroid beans me on the head, pulmonary embolism, sudden death syndrome, nuclear terrorism, deadly contagion. This 'living' thing appears to be chock full of unknown dangers!

I may go back to bed!!

:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom