Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fndmylove:
Ok so Lamont was right, that sounds too defensive.
I missed the all the good stuff in the DIR forum.

But I'm going to break it to you....

1) a pony bottle solves only one of many problems. Its not the end all and be all.
2) Depth doesn't really matter. It may make you feel more comfortable...but thats it.
3) You don't know...what you don't know
4) I know where you are coming from...at 30 dives, I thought I could do solo...at 300 it gives me the hebbie jebbies.

FWIW....My guess is that you will ignore it.

fndmylove:
...I'm also pondering a third redundant source,mounted to my main, could it hurt?

That statement in itself, sounds to me like you shouldn't go solo. If you don't trust your redundant system and want to add yet more complexity, chances of you being too task loaded to manage when the shhite hits the fan are huge IMO.

When things really go sideways, having a clear cut strategy for 'making it through' is the best defense IMO.

JeffG:
I missed the all the good stuff in the DIR forum.

But I'm going to break it to you....

1) a pony bottle solves only one of many problems. Its not the end all and be all.
2) Depth doesn't really matter. It may make you feel more comfortable...but thats it.
3) You don't know...what you don't know
4) I know where you are coming from...at 30 dives, I thought I could do solo...at 300 it gives me the hebbie jebbies.

FWIW....My guess is that you will ignore it.

Nah, I'm not going to ignore it...I have already decided to make changes.

I believe the main deal is that you are inexperienced. You might not believe it...but you are. And I'm not saying that from some high-horse pedestal, I'm very inexperienced too. Get a few hundred more dives under your belt, then think about it again and see where you stand. Many times, diving is a social sport. Meet some local divers and go diving, perhaps organize regular outings. I never would have started diving as much as I do had I not been introduced to NCDivers and the great group we have. :)

jeckyll:
That statement in itself, sounds to me like you shouldn't go solo. If you don't trust your redundant system and want to add yet more complexity, chances of you being too task loaded to manage when the shhite hits the fan are huge IMO.

When things really go sideways, having a clear cut strategy for 'making it through' is the best defense IMO.

It's not that I don't trust my current redundant system, it was more of a "couldn't hurt" attitude. It would be a sequence in an emergency, 1 OOA, 2 OOA, try the third option. Just like an uncontrolled ascent (dump weight, spread eagle, and scream all the way up) is the FINAL choice in a sequence of resolutions in a disastrous OOA.

SparticleBrane:
I believe the main deal is that you are inexperienced. You might not believe it...but you are. And I'm not saying that from some high-horse pedestal, I'm very inexperienced too. Get a few hundred more dives under your belt, then think about it again and see where you stand. Many times, diving is a social sport. Meet some local divers and go diving, perhaps organize regular outings. I never would have started diving as much as I do had I not been introduced to NCDivers and the great group we have. :)

Ok, the "social" part doesnt really apply to me (I prefer to enjoy it by myself, it's a personal thing), but I like this response and agree with you.

fndmylove:
It's not that I don't trust my current redundant system, it was more of a "couldn't hurt" attitude. It would be a sequence in an emergency, 1 OOA, 2 OOA, try the third option. Just like an uncontrolled ascent is the final choice in a sequence of resolutions.
You are solving theoretical underwater problems that don't occur in real life. Thats why you souldn't be solo diving.

You don't know...what you don't know.

Be safe...don't die.

JeffG:
You are solving theoretical underwater problems that don't occur in real life. Thats why you souldn't be solo diving.

You don't know...what you don't know.

Be safe...don't die.

Since so many of you experienced guys are saying this, I do agree that there is probably much I don't know. But what things might I not know, will save me in an emergency?

fndmylove:
Since so many of you experienced guys are saying this, I do agree that there is probably much I don't know. But what things might I not know, will save me in an emergency?

Quit cyberdiving, find some folks who dive like you'd like to dive and get in the water.

Repeat.

Once you hit 100 dives, re-evaluate :)

Just my $0.02

jeckyll:
Quit cyberdiving, find some folks who dive like you'd like to dive and get in the water.

Repeat.

Once you hit 100 dives, re-evaluate :)

Just my $0.02
toss in my $0.02 too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom