Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's like this: the experience factor give you that little voice in your head that will stop you from doing stupid things that might kill you.

With so many people telling you not to do it don't you think they might be right? Personally I do not care if you kill yourself doing solo.... but here's another vote for Don't do it. I'm not bagging on solo guys there are plenty of capable solo guys out there but they also have hundreds of dives under their belts....

When I was at about 150 dives, and was feeling like I was starting to get modestly competent at this, I had a combination of circumstances that brought me very close to panic. I don't panic easily in other areas of life, and I'd never been particularly anxious or worried underwater, but this hit me like a ton of bricks and scared the stuffing out of me. Not the incident, but that I could still come very close to panicking after what I regarded as "all this experience".

Malfunctions don't kill people, in general. Maladaptive responses kill people, and maladaptive responses are possible to anybody, but become far less likely if you've had a chance to cope with some stresses that stretch but don't break you. Somebody with as few dives as you have just doesn't know enough about his reactions to things underwater to be safe there alone, in my opinion.

fndmylove:
Since so many of you experienced guys are saying this, I do agree that there is probably much I don't know. But what things might I not know, will save me in an emergency?

Seems to me (and I am a new diver as well, so take it for what it is worth) that it is a combination of both what your do/don't know, and experience underwater. One can be taught, another is earned by paying your dues. I think what a lot of the experienced divers on this board are driving at is the latter . . . build experience (and you probably have a head start because of your freediving experience).

Listen to Bob (Grateful Diver). While I am biased because he is my instructor, I can say he is an exceptional teacher and diver, and also has a genuine interest in helping build a safer dive community.

FWIW, I trend more towards the DIR approach of doing things (I don't consider myself DIR) but that isn't the point. One of my regular dive buddies has thousands of solo dives under his belt, and I NEVER worry about him when he is on his own. He's also a good buddy when we dive together-and has spent the last few months focussing on building better team skills. Personally, I like the team approach, and may never solo dive. But, I'm not going to look down or dis people that solo dive. I don't have the wisdom, experience, credibility or the need to do so. That being said, lots of people who do possess that wisdome and crediblity have made some pretty compelling arguments in a civil manner here, and I'm glad to see you are listening. It takes a lot to set aside your ego and sit up and take notice.

The one thing I will contribute is I thought I was just figuring diving out around 50 dives, and the last 25 make me realize how little I actually know . . . and I think all experienced divers go through that phase. Being squarely in it may be a bad time to take up solo diving.

JeffG:
Well...You said something about Edmonton, so I have to assume Nadwidny is behind it. (That would be Brian Nadwidny)

Wasn't me. There is nothing going on in the DIR forum that hasn't been said 10 years ago so I'm not overly interested in joining.

Now if that Tonka guy wants to start flogging Gentile's book again then I'm in like pongo on a pig.

nadwidny:
Wasn't me. There is nothing going on in the DIR forum that hasn't been said 10 years ago so I'm not overly interested in joining.

Now if that Tonka guy wants to start flogging Gentile's book again then I'm in like pongo on a pig.
my bad

Instead of Gentiles book...how about a newbie wanting to solo dive?

JeffG:
...how about a newbie wanting to solo dive?

We had a thread about that somewhere around here...

you are from Atlanta and I am from Marietta. Apparently we both need to get out and "Just Dive" let me know when you want to go. May not be able to play hookie for the next few weeks. But I am thinking of heading to Haven this weekend.

And yanno what, you can leave the Pony at home. :) You'll have a backup with a buddy.

JeffG:
toss in my $0.02 too
Hold on now...your 0.02 CAD = 0.017 USD. :D

I dived solo after 20 dives or so myself. It wasn't a conscience decision or because I am anti-social but because all my friends that said get certified and we can dive together never wanted to dive. So I went alone with my GF on the beach watching the flag. I started doing this in 92 and never had a problem. When I lived in PA and was a member of the diving club i used to dive with a buddy. I am not trying to be a troll but buddy diving is overrated. The viz in the quarries in Pa was so bad that it was common to loose contact with the buddy intermitantly during the dive. The DIR people realize this and stress the team diving approach which makes sense not the "hey lets go in together approach" which satisfies the letter of the law but not the intent. If your diving with a pick up buddy shouldn't you also carry a pony? Can you rely on someone with unknown skills to save your behind when trouble starts. Also 2 divers equals twice the potental for problems. Do you know when his regs were last serviced? When he made his last dive? Does he have any medical conditions? If the other guy gets in trouble and panics you are in danger also. The training agencies never seem to cover this part in the OW or AOW courses. This only comes out in the rescue course.

Back
Top Bottom