Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511:
From what I read, the early divers did not even have BC's. Also how does a BC fail?

Funny you should ask that.

On way is that you grab the inflator hose and discover it tore off the BC at the shoulder, leaving your BC with a perfect 1" opening at the top.

Terry

matt_unique:
Solo divers do not suffer from buddy reliance.
Perhaps not ... but sometimes they suffer from misconceptions ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Lesson #1
You cannot evaluate your own degree of situational awareness, impossible. You must get feedback from a buddy or instructor to be informed about what you didn't notice/see/preceive.

NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps not ... but sometimes they suffer from misconceptions ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

It sounds like you convinced him to get some more experience - hope so. Well Done!

tedwhiteva:
Bob,

It sounds like you convinced him to get some more experience - hope so. Well Done!

He was helpful and so were others. Please read my previous post for those of you who have not already.

rjack321:
Lesson #1
You cannot evaluate your own degree of situational awareness, impossible. You must get feedback from a buddy or instructor to be informed about what you didn't notice/see/preceive.

I don't completely agree with this, because I think you can make comparisons to driving a car. I force myself to be more aware of my surroundings on a daily basis while driving. I know how aware I am because I am constantly thinking about it. I have become this way by driving alone. But of course, diving is not the same, and with respect to it, I think your statement is more valid.

tedwhiteva:
Bob,

In the long run, you can't convince people of anything ... you can only put things in a way that make them want to hear it, and decide for themselves whether or not to take the advice. Good on David for choosing to listen to the people in this discussion who've been there.

But actually, the quoted comment was more for Matt's benefit ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

fndmylove:
I don't completely agree with this, because I think you can make comparisons to driving a car. I force myself to be more aware of my surroundings on a daily basis while driving. I know how aware I am because I am constantly thinking about it. I have become this way by driving alone. But of course, diving is not the same, and with respect to it, I think your statement is more valid.
But just as with driving a car, the more you do it the more you learn ... not just in terms of physical skills, but also in terms of anticipating conditions, other driver's reactions and how to avoid situations could put you at greater risk of an accident.

Diving is indeed a lot like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Soggy:
Good thing team divers don't either... :rolleyes:

Yes, the "team" and all that. I prefer solo diving for the peace and the tranquility, no "signals" "drills" etc. Just the quiet ocean and a nice dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom