Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
But just as with driving a car, the more you do it the more you learn ... not just in terms of physical skills, but also in terms of anticipating conditions, other driver's reactions and how to avoid situations could put you at greater risk of an accident.

Diving is indeed a lot like that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm not sure which is more dangerous...I suppose there are too many variables involved to say for sure, but for me, I prefer diving, but I drive on a very bad highway. My issue with driving being worse than diving is the lack of control of others, I prefer to be more in control of my own fate. I honestly cannot think of a better comparison to diving though.

catherine96821:

I dive with guys who freedive to 130, and I suspect they could handle doing it with a tank. Seems reasonable. I am solo cause I can only get to 50 ft.

Catherine:

I don't free dive so I'm curious, are the entanglement risks similar when freediving vs scuba?

Just looking at this from my standpoint it would seem to me that when freediving you're moving through the water vertically, but when scubadiving you're moving both vertically & horizontally and the risks may be different.

:)

Bjorn

well, you have a buddy that you have to basically pass to get to Lanier or Dive Haven. PM or email me and let me know when you want to go. I'll dive with ya, I claim to be pretty calm under water and other's have said that they enjoy my cautiousness when planning or learning or even getting my bouyancy correct.

NWGratefulDiver:
Perhaps not ... but sometimes they suffer from misconceptions ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ha ha, touche......I'm sure "they" (I) do. Indeed we all suffer from misconceptions from time to time, you're not excluded from this human reality.

As a seperate topic, solo diving also does not indicate a lack of interest in training. I think an OW diver who solo's from that point forward would definitely limit his/her skill development. I agree one learns faster with a more experienced diver providing insight and suggestions.

--Matt

Web Monkey:
Funny you should ask that.

On way is that you grab the inflator hose and discover it tore off the BC at the shoulder, leaving your BC with a perfect 1" opening at the top.

Terry

If your rig is balanced then dropping the belt will make you positive. Alternatively, you could assume a shoulders down position and insert the mouthpiece of the octo into the hole and press the purge to trap air in the bc. You could remove the BC and swim up with the pony. Finally, you could shot a bag and use it for lift. Personally I would drop the belt.

GA Under Water:
well, you have a buddy that you have to basically pass to get to Lanier or Dive Haven. PM or email me and let me know when you want to go. I'll dive with ya, I claim to be pretty calm under water and other's have said that they enjoy my cautiousness when planning or learning or even getting my bouyancy correct.

Sounds good pal. I am planning a dive on the 13 th, at either location (I have been to both), there is a general thread I started in the looney bird forum, but I'll give you more specifics in a bit.

fndmylove:
I don't completely agree with this, because I think you can make comparisons to driving a car. I force myself to be more aware of my surroundings on a daily basis while driving. I know how aware I am because I am constantly thinking about it. I have become this way by driving alone. But of course, diving is not the same, and with respect to it, I think your statement is more valid.

Well on your drive home tonight, why don't you list the number of pedestrians you see compared to the number of pedestrians you didn't see?

Then you'll have a good idea about your relative degree of situational awareness.

ams511:
If your rig is balanced then dropping the belt will make you positive. Alternatively, you could assume a shoulders down position and insert the mouthpiece of the octo into the hole and press the purge to trap air in the bc. You could remove the BC and swim up with the pony. Finally, you could shot a bag and use it for lift. Personally I would drop the belt.
Personally, I would only drop my weights at depth if I have exhausted every other possibility for solving the problem, and the only remaining option was death.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Catherine:

I don't free dive so I'm curious, are the entanglement risks similar when freediving vs scuba?

I have no idea, I would guess even worse because you would have very little time. Our water is very clear. They carry knives. Monofilament is the only thing that comes to my mind.

Kurt did not seem keen about going inside the wreck for a photo-op though.

I did not suggest it, he acted like I was getting ready to. I would not do that.

jeckyll:

it would seem to me that when freediving you're moving through the water vertically, but when scubadiving you're moving both vertically & horizontally and the risks may be different.

Bjorn

As always, it depends. If you are doing a "bounce" free dive to break your depth record, then yes, your entanglement risk may be minimized.

But for many like myself, it is very similar to when I scuba. I make a quick shallow descent to 20-30' and then spend the next minute or so enjoying the sights "horizontally" with the same inherrant entanglement risks that I enjoy while diving with my tanks (although less snag points).

Back
Top Bottom