Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is solo diving safer? Depends on your buddy, he almost killed me..........
Is solo diving safer? Depends on your Bank account, after the accident (panicked) he sued me.
Is solo diving safer? If your partner is trained in case of emergency
Is solo diving safer? If you are doing with/out appropriate training
Is solo diving safer? If everyone know when, where and the most important in a case of emergency you need to help yourself................not suitable for everyone

Is solo driving safer? I don't think so........

Quote:

"How can a BCD fail, let me count the ways.

Sticking inflator, not working inflator, sticking deflator, not working deflator, stuck open dump valve, tank band or cam coming loose, buckles releasing, gear tangled in BCD, ruptured BCD.

These are what I can think of now but these don't scare me because I can plan for them. What does scare me is the 20 things that I can't think of and therefore 20 things that I can't plan for and wont expect."

A BC can fail but it is also a non issue. I have dived for many years without a BC--whenever possible. A BC is not a life jacket. It is intended to compensate for changes in bouyancy due to depth, suit crush etc. You should not be--except in some few circumstances--so over weighted that you cannot swim up with a failed BC. One of many aspects of solo diving is learning to weight oneself so that you have the miniumum amount of weight possible. A solo diver in the past (and present) would have a surface float if shore/beach diving for surface support if fatigued (swim board, tube, kayak, etc). A safety sausage is small and compact and can be carried easily and is highly useful.

This past summer I went to a large quarry and followed the shore line on one dive to the other side. I surfaced and decided rather than walking through brush and all that I would just hook it back across the lake. About half way across it occured to me that I, Nemrod, was a bit fatigued. I dive with no BC most of the time and of course I was this time. Well, my options, I could pop my mask on my forehead and start screaming and yelling and splashing in hopes people on shore would save me--NOPE--not going with that option. Option B, I could inflate my safety sausage and use it as a water wing to allow me to rest--nope---that would alert people on shore that I, Nemrod, was tired so that left options C and D. Option C was just to drown and die with my boots (fins ) on or option D, suck it up and GO. I chose option D.

Point is that when your truly solo there may be nobody to rescue you, not even people on shore, most of whom cannot resue you anyways. That is why one can go on about training, expereince, certification cards, mentors, books, equipment and all that BUT in the end the main ingrediant for a solo diver is self reliance. You are on your on, sink or swim, so you better get swimming.
N

But when you dive with a buddy, you have to pretend that you are diving solo.... In real life, when emergency occurs, 1/2 of the time your buddy is looking at the little fish in the distant.

Yes soggy, I don't have a regular diving buddy since I started OW. My wife can not dive due to hip degeneration... So my buddy is whom ever I am matched with... And most of the time, they are bad...

tonka97:

Your heroes Chatterton and Kohler have been totally exposed as hoaxters, documented in detail in Shadow Divers Exposed. The true heroes and researchers of U-869 have been identified and referenced in this informative page turner.

Good thing you are neutral in this.

:rofl3:

fisherdvm:
Yes soggy, I don't have a regular diving buddy since I started OW. My wife can not dive due to hip degeneration... So my buddy is whom ever I am matched with... And most of the time, they are bad...

Then you are simply solo diving with someone else somewhere near you. Don't make fallacious generalizations about team diving.

I have spent many hours in my life beneath the surface at such depths without scuba equipment (free diving), and am therefore extremely confident

Valid exception, for me.

Just do whatever you want and stay away from teams that you will offend.

I dive with guys who freedive to 130, and I suspect they could handle doing it with a tank. Seems reasonable. I am solo cause I can only get to 50 ft.

Lately, the submarines have been spotting them and complaining about their solo ways. Looking in the windows and such. Everybody hates a macho boy. Just sends people into orbit.

Quote from Soggy:

"Maybe on your team, but not on mine."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see, this is what I mean by personality. Some people need to feel a part of a team, need to belong, need to have support of a group and approval of the group. A wolf pack is such a team where every wolf has his/her place in the team and the team works for a common purpose. BUT some people are the lone wolf, they are a team of ONE. Only one person can answer where you fit, yourself. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom