Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ams511:
I cannot speak for the original poster but from my own experiences.

yes, a knife is standard equipement on all dives. I never got tangled in anything either.
If you NEVER get tangled why carry a knife?? Never say Never is what I say.

ams511:
actually I did but even if I didn't I am on the bottom the knife falls and I pick it up. As a backup I could remove the gear and swim to the surface from the shallow depths.
If you are tangled you may not be able to swim up or down.
I usually carry 2 knifes. When I solo I always carry 2 knifes.

ams511:
No, I would just drop my weight belt and kick up and float to the surface. From what I read, the early divers did not even have BC's. Also how does a BC fail?

BC's fail it a fact of life. I dont recall the OP mentioning ditchable weight when I asked him what equipment he uses, so maybe he does not carry any. If he is carrying his back gas and a pony tank and thinking of carrying an extra tank (why bother?) then it may be hard to swim up.

Packhorse:

BC's fail it a fact of life. I dont recall the OP mentioning ditchable weight when I asked him what equipment he uses, so maybe he does not carry any. If he is carrying his back gas and a pony tank and thinking of carrying an extra tank (why bother?) then it may be hard to swim up.

I prefer a knife and a Scissor a good pair of scissors

NWGratefulDiver:
This is the mentality that can reach out and bite you in the arse at the worst possible time.

Had a gal ... an instructor, actually ... die here a few years back while diving solo. It was a pretty casual, easy dive after a class and she just wanted to go out and unwind a bit. Got tangled up in some fishing line and dropped her knife. Because she was tangled up in fishing line she wasn't able to go retrieve it. They found her several hours later, still tangled up in fishing line.

That lady had several hundred dives under her weightbelt at the time.

If you're entangled, dropping your weights is likely to only make matters worse ... once you've assured that there'll be tension on the line ... due to your inherent buoyancy ... the chances of getting unentangled are dramatically reduced.

These are the sorts of things most people either don't ever think about or resolve behind a keyboard ... which is a much different environment than you'll face in reality, when your heart's thumping and your mind's working hard trying to hold off a panic attack.

Humans aren't built for the underwater environment ... we have a hard-wired survival instinct that's meant to help keep us alive. Problem is that underwater it can make us do things without thinking that could kill us. The major reason to get experience before going solo is to help you condition your mind to work on problems methodically, rather than instinctively.

Something as simple as an unexpected current or a constantly-leaking mask can turn into a major issue for the inexperienced diver who hasn't conditioned himself to handle it calmly. The problem itself isn't what will get you into trouble ... how you respond is what will often turn it into a bigger problem than it actually is. Most diving accidents are the result of improperly handling resolvable problems.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

Thank you for your insights, however I have a few comments.

First, you are assuming that her buddy would be able to cut her free and not get entangled in the line that caught her. Also, it could be her mentality that got her killed. The insurance companies claim most auto accidents occur very close to home, when people let their guard down. She was an instructor and it was an easy dive so maybe she did not take it seriously. I take every dive seriously as I believe the original poster does. After reading JJ's DIR book I stopped carrying a knife and use line cutters. I use a bungie loop on them where I can insert my wrist through so dropping it is not an issue. I also check the equipment at home before I leave and at the site again.

Second, my remark about dropping the belt was for BC failure not for entaglement problems. As I mentioned, I have never been entangled but I would assume if I was it would be best to get as negative as I can and stay near the bottom to cut the line closest to the source. I typicially soloed in the ocean with good vis. so silt is not a problem.

Finally, diving is a managed risk sport. I try to manage my risk when diving solo by staying shallow. Sticking to areas I know. Diving during slack tides and when the weather is calm. I am more concerned about boaters on top of the water than hazzards in the water.

ams511:
Bob,

Thank you for your insights, however I have a few comments.

First, you are assuming that her buddy would be able to cut her free and not get entangled in the line that caught her. Also, it could be her mentality that got her killed. The insurance companies claim most auto accidents occur very close to home, when people let their guard down. She was an instructor and it was an easy dive so maybe she did not take it seriously. I take every dive seriously as I believe the original poster does. After reading JJ's DIR book I stopped carrying a knife and use line cutters. I use a bungie loop on them where I can insert my wrist through so dropping it is not an issue. I also check the equipment at home before I leave and at the site again.

Second, my remark about dropping the belt was for BC failure not for entaglement problems. As I mentioned, I have never been entangled but I would assume if I was it would be best to get as negative as I can and stay near the bottom to cut the line closest to the source. I typicially soloed in the ocean with good vis. so silt is not a problem.

Finally, diving is a managed risk sport. I try to manage my risk when diving solo by staying shallow. Sticking to areas I know. Diving during slack tides and when the weather is calm. I am more concerned about boaters on top of the water than hazzards in the water.
It's good to think about these things ... but sometimes the reality isn't what we think it will be.

I once got entangled to the point where I could not free myself ... no matter what I would've had available for a cutting device. My dive buddy had to free me. The most likely place to get entangled is around your first stage/tank valve ... right where you can't see it. But your buddy can, and if you just hold still they'll have a good shot at untangling you without cutting anything. Second thought ... most people who try to untangle themselves immediately do the worst thing ... they twist around to try to see where they're entangled, which often only makes matters worse.

With respect to the accident, I assumed nothing ... I simply pointed out the fact that she got entangled, dropped her knife, and died. If a buddy had been with her, worst-case she wouldn't have been dangling there for several hours before someone else found her.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

an instructor, actually ... die here a few years back while diving solo. It was a pretty casual, easy dive after a class and she just wanted to go out and unwind a bit. Got tangled up in some fishing line and dropped her knife. Because she was tangled up in fishing line she wasn't able to go retrieve it. They found her several hours later, still tangled up in fishing line.

Just curious, Bob, for arguments sake and all.

How would people react if some solo group said divers should not dive in poor viz?

Because, the way I see it, poor viz can be as deadly as being solo. So why is one kosher and not another?

Poor viz scares me. Solo doesn't. You can usually see monofilament when the sun is beaming through 150+ viz.

catherine96821:
Just curious, Bob, for arguments sake and all.

How would people react if some solo group said divers should not dive in poor viz?.

Well, this may be begging the question, but in poor vis, I tend to snuggle right up to my buddy and maintain good contact with them. We dive in poor vis a lot, and it is possible to signal your buddy to help you. For instance, I was with Bob on a dive on a Friday night, vis was maybe 2-3 feet up top and ~5 feet at depth. We had a relaxing dive, and I even signalled him at one point to deal with a minor equipment issue. At no point did we lose contact with each other, and at any point help would have been a frantic wave of the light away. Of course, Bob and I dive together fairly regularly, and he did train me . . . so I'd say we work well together.

catherine96821:
Because, the way I see it, poor viz can be as deadly as being solo. So why is one kosher and not another?

I don't see it as "deadly" as diving solo. Then again, I may be one of those "team" divers that doesn't necessarily think solo diving is "deadly." I do see both as requiring a good skill set and experience. Interestingly both sets of skills can probably only be developed by diving with buddies . . . and by lots of experience and skill development. Of course, this all assumes and equal level of risk tolerance between the two types of divers.

catherine96821:
Poor viz scares me. Solo doesn't. You can usually see monofilament when the sun is beaming through 150+ viz.

But, what about that ONE time you don't see monofilament in 150+ vis, it could be enough . . . I know, internet argument and all, but it does point out the difference. Even in really poor vis around here, you can have some wonderful dives without ever loosing your buddy and being "solo." A laser-beam HID and a good backup help, but even those aren't absolutely necessary.

The mythical powers of dive buddies is wide spread. I would agree that people dive all of the time with buddies in situations that are more dangerous that solo diving in an easy environment.

I would also say that one should be very solid in your diving ability before diving solo. Having said that there are many people who are not solid divers on the board who think they are. They always see themselves as "different".

However you dive this year, dive safe.

Packhorse:

I did not say I WOULD NEVER GET TANGLED, but rather I have never been tangled. I also said I do carry two knives (actually bungied line cutters). You should read things more carefully before posting inflamatory comments.

As Nemrod mentioned BC failure is a non-issue as long as he is weighted properly. Also those extra tanks are ditchable weight. I do not remember his wetsuit and tank configuration but I know mine and I know I can swim it up from the depths without dropping the belt but I would need to drop it if I needed to stay on the surface for any length of time. From the depths I and he dive I am positive I can do a free ascent to the surface.

I would really like to see more constructive posts like Nemrod's on how to solo dive more safely, rather than rants.

ams511:
I would really like to see more constructive posts like Nemrod's on how to solo dive more safely, rather than rants.

The OP didn't ask how to do it safely ("Why I should not be solo diving") and we aren't going to endorse that here. You have your own forum under the Technical group where you can discuss how to solo dive safely without all us riffraff.

I carry a chain saw when I dive solo, or is that why I have to dive solo?

Back
Top Bottom