Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fndmylove:
In light of all your responses, I have reevaluated my situation and this is my decision:

Thanks for all your comments guys. I would love to respond in detail to each one of you, but I truly don't have the time.

None of the ways I have prepared myself to dive solo ensure my safe return, but they do provide me with the knowledge to reduce my risks. I’ll list a few in order to make a point:

-I have read and analyzed all of the accident and incident threads on this site
-I have read diving solo by Von Maier
-I have limited my diving profiles tremendously
-I have many personal qualities that might be suggestive of a solo diver (extreme situational awareness, self-reliance, underwater familiarity, physical ability, prudent, paranoid)
-I have chosen my equipment in accordance with all of the above

but I reiterate, none of these ensure my safe return.

There is a very powerful concept that I have learned here, there is no substitute for communicating and interacting with experienced divers in the flesh (This supersedes reading books and websites). I have always known that I will someday become a solo diver, it’s what I chose and it’s who I am. I don't see the point in continuing to attempt to explain my reasons for wanting to dive solo anymore because it's totally specific to me as a person and as most individuals are, I am complicated. However, given that I don't completely understand what is meant by certain statements set forth by some of the experienced divers on this site (for example “
You don't know...what you don't know”) and given the aforementioned concept, I have decided to temporarily discontinue solo diving. So for you GA divers out there, lets dive.

temporarily??
Does that mean you'll seek out instruction? Get more dives under varied conditions?
does that mean you'll what??
From your other posts here I'm left wondering.
I'm not trying to belittle you here but you were clear before in your intentions, what are they now?

catherine96821:
I would say you should not solo for the following reasons:

1) Out of shape
2) accident prone (history throughout life...they know who they are)
3) family members adamantly opposed and making you miserable
4) Conditions of poor viz, because entanglement more of an issue.
I would say there are more reasons than that ... and that number 4 really is only a consideration for people who get creeped out by poor vis. Around here we have lots of solo divers, in conditions that most folks in your part of the world wouldn't even consider diving in. They do fine ... because they've prepared for it.

Some people shouldn't solo for much the same reasons that some people shouldn't do deep dives ... because you have to have a certain mentality to handle it responsibly, and not everyone does. If you are the sort who tends to get excitable when stressed, it's probably not for you no matter what.

Otherwise, get some experience, get some training, make your choices and have fun ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Packhorse:
Redunancy is more than about air. It is about ALL vital equipment. Cutting, bouancy,mask, air etc.)

I've considered the spare mask but really didn't want to commit the storage space. So I played around with swimming goggles which will store much more compactly. It takes a bit of practice to clear them and you might only get one eye cleared and even that might be just enough to read gauges. But it gets the job done. Obviously, it is only good for ascending with appropriate stops. You also have to be quite comfortable breathing your reg without a mask.

For solo night dives. I usually carry 3 lights. I'd hate to cut a good dive short because of a light.

Around here we have lots of solo divers, in conditions that most folks in your part of the world wouldn't even consider diving in. They do fine ... because they've prepared for it.

okay, I'll drop it. But, I really don't understand how if they are alone, they can be prepared for gill nets.

And, I don't think accident history gets enough credence. The best predictor of the future, is the past.

divemaster_jim:
temporarily??
Does that mean you'll seek out instruction? Get more dives under varied conditions?
does that mean you'll what??
From your other posts here I'm left wondering.
I'm not trying to belittle you here but you were clear before in your intentions, what are they now?

Temporarily means that someday I will become a solo diver, but not tomorrow or anytime soon. I will determine my own personal requirements for solo diving as I gain more experience. These requirements include but are not limited to some of the things I have suggested in the "decision post" (communication and interaction with experienced divers while diving, further understanding of diving motos suggested by other divers). But generally speaking, after much more experience. I don't believe that I should give it an absolute, like after 100 dives, or after such and such conditions, it will be a mindset.

Wow,

What a read of "stuff". I suggest we start up a poll thread about farting at depth to lighten the mood in the forums.:mooner:

catherine96821:
okay, I'll drop it. But, I really don't understand how if they are alone, they can be prepared for gill nets.

IMO poor viz and I mean really poor viz, can have a tremendous effect on you mentally. I had a dive with a new (to me) buddy where things got so silted out by other divers that I could not see the fingers of my outstretched hand. We were at 70 fsw at a site I'd never done before and I definitely got 'weirded out'. I was unhappy.

I signaled 'not ok, swim that way' got an acknowledgment, things got better viz wise and I was good.

But through all that, my buddy and I stayed together.

I wouldn't have wanted to be alone in that situation. :)

fndmylove:
Temporarily means that someday I will become a solo diver, but not tomorrow or anytime soon. I will determine my own personal requirements for solo diving as I gain more experience. These requirements include but are not limited to some of the things I have suggested in the "decision post" (communication and interaction with experienced divers while diving, further understanding of diving motos suggested by other divers). But generally speaking, after much more experience. I don't believe that I should give it an absolute, like after 100 dives, or after such and such conditions, it will be a mindset.

No but your well on your way already, Your already making the right choices.
good luck with it. In the end it will be worth it.

The Horn:
Wow,

What a read of "stuff". I suggest we start up a poll thread about farting at depth to lighten the mood in the forums.:mooner:

Don't forget to add in the tickle factor in the poll! :rofl3:

Call me crazy. I haven't been diving for very long, but I always figured it wasn't a matter of 'IF' you were going to have a malfunction... it's "WHEN" you'll have a malfunction. Maybe it's that Army pilot side of my life popping out.

I just can't see how going by yourself is safe given that thought...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom