Why I should Not be Solo Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
whew. I thought you would never get here.

I was there the whole time.

I don't fly alone. Civilian or military. I also don't dive alone. It's the same thing as consistently wearing a snorkle whether diving in open water or not... it's positive habit transfer. At least, that's what my instructor told me...

By having a buddy with relatively comparable skills, you at least have someone with you to assist in the event of a dangerous situation.

lil_wings:
I don't fly alone. Civilian or military. I also don't dive alone. It's the same thing as consistently wearing a snorkle whether diving in open water or not... it's positive habit transfer. At least, that's what my instructor told me...

By having a buddy with relatively comparable skills, you at least have someone with you to assist in the event of a dangerous situation.
If this works for you, then thats good.

Each diver needs to define what works for them, and why, and stick with it.

I stick with a perspective that goes "generally flexible as Gumby".

I'm a team diver by nature, and I enjoy diving more when with a team of people. Thus, I dive with two or three other divers 99% of the time. I also have no problems diving with new divers.

OTOH, there are circumstances described on this board where a diver who goes to some exotic destination alone (which describes the traveling I do) and finds themselves on a charter boat with a guy who looks like he coated himself in aquaseal and rolled around in a dive shop. He's the one who can't remember how to assemble his rig. He drops stuff on the deck. He's an amusement park underwater. He loses stuff.

I don't dive with guys like this. I'm not real flexible about it.

So in cases like that, diving solo - recreational, warm clear ocean vacation diving - seems far safer than rolling the dice with "something wicked this way comes".

You gotta make your own call.

I'll dive in a way that seems safe considering the circumstances, or else I won't get in the water. Ultimately each diver is responsible for herself or himself and the decisions they make.

Doc

guy who looks like he coated himself in aquaseal and rolled around in a dive shop.

lol. Hey I know this guy...so does Dennis. And he gets around the world! Wish I could post a photo. Just for a visual, all his hoses are wrapped with bright yellow spiralling tape.

Wow! this thread is all over the place.

Fndmylove, I think you are making a good decision on waiting to dive solo.

I have had a similar conversation with my 17 year old son who doesn't understand why he shouldn't drive to Taco Bell in the middle of a snow storm and why he should carry a coat etc.. in his car he just doesn't understand how fast things can turn bad.

Hope you find some good local buddies and Dive a lot, take some classes etc....

Interesting thread. I’ve read it from beginning to end. Only one person really answered the question with any examples (that would actually kill you) and those were in conditions where most reasonable people would acquiesce to having a buddy around.

Some people used aviation as a simile, but as a pilot myself (with 15,000 hours, which is more than some, less than others) I see this supporting the solo diving more than I see it as arguing against it. Most people first solo an airplane after about 10-15 hours of instruction. However, they can (and should) only do this in conditions that they are qualified for. If a student asked me to list some things that will get them into trouble, I could make a list of dangers and their results that would affect inexperienced pilots (even good ones), but not experienced pilots:
1. Gusty winds or high crosswinds = dinged propeller or damaged landing gear
2. Reduced visibility = getting lost, or blundering into the path of another plane
3. Rain = reduced visibility often results in a bad landing causing damage
4. Night = Almost nothing looks the same. Infinite dangers to the inexperienced pilot
5. Unfamiliar airport = #2, plus blundering onto the wrong places on the ground
6. Busy international airport = inability to see big picture and comply with instructions
7. Mountainous terrain = collision or up/downdrafts

These are environments where new pilots do not belong, but it does not take away from the joy, and safety, of solo flight in safe conditions. In fact, the FAA requires a certain amount of solo flight before getting certified (in some curriculums).

So let’s take a look at diving. A new student that is bright, dedicated, very comfortable in water, and actually takes the time to analyze what might go wrong should be very qualified to safely dive in a calm lake with relatively shallow with decent visibility, and a sandy/light weedy bottom. The fishing line come-back seems weak to me since you can, a) untangle it yourself with or without the help on a knife, b) take off your gear and untangle it that way, or c) worst case scenario, swim to the top. The ocean deserves much more respect with its different currents and environments that you can get stuck in.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending solo diving, nor am I attacking those people that have advised against it. I am new to this, and I have the utmost respect for those with experience (as I do for those in my industry). But frankly, people who say “’It’s guys like you that’ blah, blah, blah…” really lose their credibility with me. It suggests that they either don’t have anything to back up their claims, or don’t know how to convey their knowledge, or don’t care enough to be specific about what they have learned.

So I ask, what have you experienced that you would say, “Except for the buddy being there, I/he/she would be dead because of ______happening.” List for me some of the things that will kill a solid, but inexperienced diver (not the idiots, or people not comfortable in water) in reletivley shallow water.

Wow, this has been 15 pages of great posting from both camps. I do see a lot of members coming around to a begrudging middle ground on the topic. As someone who occasionally solos (and did so 10 years ago in yard sale acquired gear with no cert or training-not reccomended!) I think it all boils down to performing solo dives that are well within your level of dive conditions, comfort, training, experience and accepted risk. Let's face it, if we all acted only when we had elliminated all risk, then old-age would be the number one killer. Falls from ladders in the household are a leading cause of fatalities, so all those completely opposed to solo diving better buddy up when taking down the Christmas lights this year.
I really appreciate though that the discussions here did have the net effect of allowing the OP to evaluate his position and ultimately pend his solo diving plans. It is obvious that he was open enough to allow himself to use other members opinions and insight to draw his own conclusion, and one that was contrary to his original intent, this is a rare attribute as most of us are pretty damn well set in our ways and opinions.
I thank all those that have added to the discussion as it has given me seveal things to contemplate as well when I choose to solo.
One thing I have an issue with though is that as has been mentioned here, sometimes you just don't have much choice, what I mean is that quite often I can't find anyone to dive with. If you aren't living in a dive hot-spot sometimes you just have to make do. I live in central CA and sure, everyone is fine with heading to Moterey, but just try to find someone to do a quick local afternoon lake or river dive (cue the sound of crickets). So it sometimes comes down to a choice-solo or no go, and if I don't go then how would I gain any of that experience to know what I don't know?
Also, unlike other risk intensive pursuits such as flying or motorcycling, my assumption of that risk (soloing) is not likely to lead to the fiery crash of a busfull of orphans.

Newlynarked:
Interesting thread. I’ve read it from beginning to end. Only one person really answered the question with any examples (that would actually kill you) and those were in conditions where most reasonable people would acquiesce to having a buddy around.

Some people used aviation as a simile, but as a pilot myself (with 15,000 hours, which is more than some, less than others) I see this supporting the solo diving more than I see it as arguing against it. Most people first solo an airplane after about 10-15 hours of instruction. However, they can (and should) only do this in conditions that they are qualified for. If a student asked me to list some things that will get them into trouble, I could make a list of dangers and their results that would affect inexperienced pilots (even good ones), but not experienced pilots:
1. Gusty winds or high crosswinds = dinged propeller or damaged landing gear
2. Reduced visibility = getting lost, or blundering into the path of another plane
3. Rain = reduced visibility often results in a bad landing causing damage
4. Night = Almost nothing looks the same. Infinite dangers to the inexperienced pilot
5. Unfamiliar airport = #2, plus blundering onto the wrong places on the ground
6. Busy international airport = inability to see big picture and comply with instructions
7. Mountainous terrain = collision or up/downdrafts

These are environments where new pilots do not belong, but it does not take away from the joy, and safety, of solo flight in safe conditions. In fact, the FAA requires a certain amount of solo flight before getting certified (in some curriculums).

So let’s take a look at diving. A new student that is bright, dedicated, very comfortable in water, and actually takes the time to analyze what might go wrong should be very qualified to safely dive in a calm lake with relatively shallow with decent visibility, and a sandy/light weedy bottom. The fishing line come-back seems weak to me since you can, a) untangle it yourself with or without the help on a knife, b) take off your gear and untangle it that way, or c) worst case scenario, swim to the top. The ocean deserves much more respect with its different currents and environments that you can get stuck in.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending solo diving, nor am I attacking those people that have advised against it. I am new to this, and I have the utmost respect for those with experience (as I do for those in my industry). But frankly, people who say “’It’s guys like you that’ blah, blah, blah…” really lose their credibility with me. It suggests that they either don’t have anything to back up their claims, or don’t know how to convey their knowledge, or don’t care enough to be specific about what they have learned.

So I ask, what have you experienced that you would say, “Except for the buddy being there, I/he/she would be dead because of ______happening.” List for me some of the things that will kill a solid, but inexperienced diver (not the idiots, or people not comfortable in water) in reletivley shallow water.

Wow, excellent post, thanks for taking the time to read through everything and gather your thoughts. Much of what you have said is pertinent to me. If you look at the only picture I have uploaded, you will see the only place I have dived solo and planned to dived solo in the near future which was a "calm lake with relatively shallow with decent visibility, and a sandy/light weedy bottom". I actually already know the place like the back of my hand, but of course, you know my current decision. Just wanted to mention that since it struck a chord, but more importantly, I appreciate the examples and the specifics, because they actually lead to progression here.

Back
Top Bottom