Why I Don't Like Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks dr. jay for speaking up for me :)

.. my BC/Wings are still somewhere in the UPS truck doing their cross-country trip :)

my computer/gauges are in the LDS beign repaired... gotta go diving even if i need to use bungiees to strap the tank to me :)

Moved

Most of my dives have been shore dives, but only a couple on sandy beaches. Prior to them I always cursed about walking across gravel and larger stones which slid and moved under foot and were often slippy along the waters edge. then I did a dive from a nice sand beach. We spread a tarp about 30 feet from the water, carried all our gear down. Wet the tank strap, walked back to the tarp, walked back to the water to rinse off the sand, wa more careful the second trip to the tarp. got BC, tank, regs assembled. Put wetsuits on (6 mil 2 piece) without too much sand in em (they were dry), once I got my feet dry again (see wetting BC strap). Got booties on, took em off and shook the sand out, try again. Put on weight belt, BC, picked up the rest and into the water. (didn't have to deal with surf at least). Waded out to chest deep, inflated BC, floated onmy back, took booties off again, rinsed the sand out and put them back on, put fins on (I use straps and a clip to carry fins and keep my hands free. it's probably not DIR, but it's real handy). Rinse mask out well and put it one, put my gloves on and finally we're ready to dive.

After that, I decided that gravel and rock really wasn't all that bad. :D

I laughed so hard reading your account.
I have never done a shore dive down south so I can only imagine your pain and suffering.
I have experienced sand in the booties and know this discomfort well.
Thanks for the good story:D

Great story Marc!!! I was laughing my head off! Thanks for linking it to your linked thread,,,,,well, you know. :wink:

Great story Marc.

Walter is right about technique. I tried the walking backwards with fins on on not-so-flat seas, and ended up on my a__ just like you. From that moment on, I decided to time the waves, find the lull and walk in fins off, and put them on in waist deep water (my jet fins with spring straps are great for this) with a fully inflated bc.

I was in the water Monday morning, 4/5, with my 13 year-old daughter at SE 8th Street in Pompano Beach. It was her first dive post certification. I learned two things; I don't envy instructors, and shore dives are still fun.

It wasn't so fun for her. After getting dressed at the car (the parking is much better than 30 years ago) we entered the water fins off, got through the first surf line and put on our fins. She got slapped in the face by a wave and it upset her. I grew up on the Jersey shore and did most of my early diving there, so waves do not bother me.

The dive was OK, in ~20fsw, but getting back to the shore was fun. We dove on a rising tide, as it was the only time we had that day. We crawled on to the beach, got completely filled with sand, and she was to tired to carry her tank back to the car. Oh well, that's what dads are for.

Right now she has sworn off shore dives, but I think that'll change with time. All in all, it was a great learning experience!

It seems that there are mixed feelings. I was trained mostly on shores, so I like them. At night, they are even better. There is just something about doing a surface swim while staring at the beautiful night sky. I feel so lazy just jumping off a boat (plus I usually feel poorer! :wink: ) Here is a great article on shore diving if anyone is interested. http://www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,3-39-45-610,00.html I personally don't like to put my fins on until I get to wear I can float (chest deep).

The one thing I could do without is a rough exit. Gotta love the scamper-swim out onto the beach on those extra rough days!

Don't give up on the shores!

I really dont know what to say.. maybe shore dive with some of us regular beach divers to gain some experience in shore entry. Walter is also an excellent resource to learn things from.

Just out of curiosity what was the water temp?

I know about the hiking back up the beach bit.. some people looked at me like I was insane when I jogged back to the entry point some ways up shore, kissed my wife, then jogged to the jeep to change tanks one afternoon at Venice Beach. For that matter, Reef Guy and I were exploring up there and came out of the water about 150 yards north of our entry point and got mobbed by tourists who wanted to take pictures with us... not that we told them we were searching for lost gold and Atlantis or anything.. but it was fun :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom