Why I Don't Like Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy the shore diving i have done, and hope to get 4 more in tomorrow. I dislike the sand a lot, Walter helped with the surf avoidance techniques and things have been fine. Havent found myself on my backside yet - unless i want to be there that is :wink: Will have to try out those SE FL shore dives one day.

Also i have the opposite experience from Marc, only 8 of my 40 have been off boats so far - too expensive. Will hopefully be 12 of 50+ by the end of the month.

FLL Diver:
SNIP...I think I going to stick to charters from now on.
LOL it's the SEASON, Marc! It's been nothing but wind for months now. I haven't been on the reef for more than a month, and even then though the sea was calm visibility was still limited. Don't feel bad... this summer you'll fall in love with my beach at Hibiscus. It's like diving a lake and I usually see more life on a shore dive (turtles, eels, reef squid, game fish, etc.).

Actually i forgot to mention, that the last shore dive i did last weekend, we were in search of a reef we had very rough directions for. We dropped down to look for it and all we saw was sand. Thousands of sand dollars, the odd fish, i was looking hard trying to make the most out of the dive, just in case we didnt find the reef. We spent 20 minutes swimming around looking for it, finally when we found it, it was like an oasis in the middle of a sandy desert, really weird to see that much life. We spent 40 mins (the remainder of my little tank) on that reef.

Those conditions in the SE these last few months have not been great with onshore winds and swell being cast into the shore, i am surprised you saw anything! I am hoping for good viz this weekend as the winds have been blowing offshore for ages now in the gulf coast.

Soon, Bubblehoppa, the waters will calm and be clear, then it will be evident why we stay here. The diver needs not the boat in order to dive, just the water in which to submerse.

The solid water's finally gone up here and did first OW dive of the year last weekend and off to another site tomorrow morning. Both Quarry (shore?) dives. Will be doing a couple of boat dives next weekend to help raise the lines for the mooring balls in Kingston.

What's diving like (in general) in Florida around Christmas? My brother-in-law has a job offer in FL and he's just waiting for the paperwork (green card) and they're moving. I've told my sister she's hosting for the coming Christmas.

Groundhog246:
What's diving like (in general) in Florida around Christmas? My brother-in-law has a job offer in FL and he's just waiting for the paperwork (green card) and they're moving. I've told my sister she's hosting for the coming Christmas.

Better than Ontario... Seriously, what part of Florida? I spend my diving time in the SE part of the state and the Keys. There is always something to do. Lots of boats to take you to reefs and wrecks, plenty of places for shore dives as you have read here.

garyfotodiver:
Better than Ontario... Seriously, what part of Florida?
I'm not sure about where. I think more South than North. He went down in the winter for an evaluation (several days of testing). He's an electrical lineman. Whatever company it is, paid airfare for him and my sister, food and accomodation and gave her a couple of hundred $US spending money to keep herself busy while he was being tested. I know she enjoyed getting away from the snow.
Will certainly post more "accurate" questions when they get settled and I know where.

Groundhog246:

Be sure to let me when you're coming. As an ex-pat I'm always happy to host folks from home. It'll only cost you a six pack of Upper Canada Lager and a couple of packets of Swiss Chalet sauce from the supermarket. And a pack of ketchup chips. :D

Marc

Just to clarify, the original post was written over a year ago. Thanks to folks here I have been out on a few more shore dives, and have been blown out on just as many. I now carry my fins in, and take them off before getting out. And I have learned to avoid going in with breakers that are over my head. :D

I still hate getting sand in everything though. If there's not a shower nearby I ain't going in. Luckily most of the favored spots down here do have showers off the beach.

Marc

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom