Why I Don't Like Beach Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We went beach diving this weekend off Deerfield Beach. I had a new BC I was trimming out, but couldn't take the time to do a boat dive. So I bundled everyone up in the car and we hit the beach so the rest of the family could catch a few waves and rays and watch our stuff. For those of you that know the area, we parked in back of the Embassy Suites and set up camp just beyond the rock line that marks the end of the public beach. Straight out from the beach is Trespasser's Ledge.

My shore diving experience has been very limited, this was only the third one out of 40 dives. With winds out E-SE, the surf was up on the shoreline, and there was a fair chop, with 2-3ft swells before they broke closer in.

Reason #1. Instead of hauling everything down where we had set up on the beach, we decided to gear up out of the back of the van as I scored a great parking spot right in front of the stairs down to the beach. However temps tipped 90°, and walking with all the gear on and 3mm suits was darn hot. Even with the tops of the suits tied off around our waists, we worked up a pretty good sweat. Wetsuits are a ***** to pull on whern you're all sweaty.

Reason #2. We decided to try gearing up and walking so we could avoid getting sand everywhere. It worked fine until my daughter discovered she had left her weight belt back in the van. Being the good father I am I took off my stuff and went back to get it. In my westuit. In the 90° sun. Muttering unkind things all the way there and back. Of course being extra careful when taking my gear off and putting it back on, I got sand everywhere.

Reason #3. We did the backwards waddle and shuffle in, but of course I was just about knee deep when a combination of a big wave and a hole in the sand knocked me on my butt. After waving around like a turtle on my back, I fully inflated my BC, and crabbed backwards dragging the tank along the bottom, getting more sand everywhere. When I got deep enough to turn over and pulled myself along the bottom until I could swim. The whole time waves were crashing over me. I got rather winded fighting the water and was sucking air like a perv in a peep show. I pulled my tank down a couple of hundred of pounds just getting past the breakers.

Reason #4. After a long backwards swim so I could catch my breath and we got past the breaking waves, we finally submerged in about nine feet of water to - nothing. In my limited diving career I've never seen nothing underwater before. All you could see out to the limits of viz was just sand. It was pretty strange as we finned out another 50 feet until we hit the first reef line.

Reason #5. The current was pretty good on Saturday and even though we were swimming into the current most of the dive we surfaced about halfway down the public beach. After trying to surface swim back to our entry point against the current, we gave up and came ashore on the public beach. We were the center of attention as we confidently strutted out the water in full gear looking akin to Navy Seals doing covert ops until a large wave broke and planted my daughter mask first into the sand. (See reason #3.) Also our exit to the beach seemed to cause much concern amongst the lifeguards who were quick to tell us that diving off the public beach was not allowed. They didn't seem the grasp the fine point of my reply that we weren't diving OFF the public beach, but coming ashore.

Reason #6. Coming ashore a good distance from our entry point made for a very long walk back to where all our stuff was. (See reasons #1 and #2.)

I think I going to stick to charters from now on.

Marc :jester:

FLL Diver once bubbled...
Reason #3. We did the backwards waddle and shuffle in, but of course I was just about knee deep when a combination of a big wave and a hole in the sand knocked me on my butt. After waving around like a turtle on my back, I fully inflated my BC, and crabbed backwards dragging the tank along the bottom, getting more sand everywhere. When I got deep enough to turn over and pulled myself along the bottom until I could swim. The whole time waves were crashing over me. I got rather winded fighting the water and was sucking air like a perv in a peep show. I pulled my tank down a couple of hundred of pounds just getting past the breakers.
Welcome to the MayTag club :)

Marc,

We need to get together and work on technique.

Sand isn't nothing. There's lots of life in the sand, you just aren't seeing it yet.

Walter once bubbled...
Marc,

We need to get together and work on technique.

Sand isn't nothing. There's lots of life in the sand, you just aren't seeing it yet.

Yeah, but if I put in anything GOOD about the dive, the story wouldn't have flowed so well. :rolleyes:

We actually did see things we haven't seen before in the sand - a flounder with migrated eyes, a couple of different types of crabs, and a school of baby squid! There was also something in the sand that was squirting water and sand up out of it's hole, but I didn't think we should try digging it up.

I'd enjoy getting together sometime to dive. But I wouldn't presume to displace any of your current buddy list. I've seen the pictures posted. :wink:

Wow, does that bring back memories of my first shore dive in Maui. I thought I was the only one that the waves and sand had a battle. I learned they always win. I made it in after falling down in the sand and not being able to stand back up. Then made it out past the breakers ok, the current was a tough one to make it back in against. I got exhausted. Had to surface and be towed in by two snorkelers, talk about embarrassing. Then once back on the beach I lost the keys to our rental car in the sand when removing my wet suit. I luckily found them after my buddy and dear brother told me his wife was going to be furious at us if we didn't get home in time to make our Laui reservations. I can laugh now, but it was not funny at the time. We did make it in time, but she was not a happy camper.

FLL Diver once bubbled...

Yeah, but if I put in anything GOOD about the dive, the story wouldn't have flowed so well. :rolleyes:

We actually did see things we haven't seen before in the sand - a flounder with migrated eyes, a couple of different types of crabs, and a school of baby squid! There was also something in the sand that was squirting water and sand up out of it's hole, but I didn't think we should try digging it up.

I'd enjoy getting together sometime to dive. But I wouldn't presume to displace any of your current buddy list. I've seen the pictures posted. :wink:

Thank you so much for your post. Mac Gyver and I were thinking of trying a few shore dives (in an effort to save some $$$)...I have no doubt I would not be as graceful as you because I ALWAYS seem to get knocked down by waves and that is without equipment! Maybe I will just stick to the Blue Heron Bridge!

Sandy

PS There is always room for another buddy! In my book, everyone is invited! The more the merrier!:D

I plan on doing that exact dive (minus the face plants!) near the end of this month. I think I'll just take it easy on my entries!!

Puts me in mind of some early adventures...
My only advice is - don't abandon shore dives. They'll get better and you'll get better, and pretty soon they'll move from PITA to pure delight!
Trust me on this...
E. itajara

kjunheart once bubbled...

Thank you so much for your post. Mac Gyver and I were thinking of trying a few shore dives (in an effort to save some $$$)...I have no doubt I would not be as graceful as you because I ALWAYS seem to get knocked down by waves and that is without equipment! Maybe I will just stick to the Blue Heron Bridge!

In retrospect, it probably wasn't the best day to do it. Winds from east tend to kick up more waves and surf.

The Blue Heron Bridge is a neat dive as long a you've got the tides nailed. The thing I like about is that there is very little sand around the entry points. (Reason #2 :))

There is always room for another buddy! In my book, everyone is invited! The more the merrier!:D

Let me know when. I still need to get a few dives in before Wreckmania. That's a great idea idea to see if we can hook up with DD when he comes down, just a long as he doesn't mind our short hoses and poodle jackets. :wink:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom