Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

argon has a lower rate of "heat conductivity" which, some people, feel makes it worthwhile to use on high-helium dives in cold water...I don´t...of course I´m not in the 3hr dive-range either...I think I´d rather take my chances with electrical heating if it came to that...

You do what you want catherine...Everyone knows you will anyway :wink:

And then you´ll talk about it with TsandM or someone like that...

dherbman:
But, it's OK to back mount an Argon bottle. hmmmm, wondering why that is.

No, you don't breathe it, but it could become critical if you need to use your DS for buoyancy..... Someone must have the quick answer for me....... Risk vs. rewards?

In a pinch, you could inflate the DS with the LP hose for the wing (if they are the same fitting).

I have a backup inflator on my left post in case I am out of argon.

I also mount the argon bottle to my backplate so that I can reach the valve.

dherbman:
But, it's OK to back mount an Argon bottle. hmmmm, wondering why that is.
That was for the big WKPP cave dives. The size of the argon bottles were too big to have in the typical "wreck" location.

catherine96821:
H-valve...? so your reserve is in your main tank? I thought that was a k valve. straighten me out..I like the sound of that. Any downsides?

yes, Dennis is looking at the back mount style I think. I know i want something centered.

With regards to the H-valve, in a sense you have no reserve. You have a secondary 1st stage with a tertiary 2nd stage. This will be fine if you have a 1st stage freeze or other functioning problem. If you loose an o-ring in the back gas and loose air that way, yoor backup is gone too.

FD

catherine96821:
cute Rob. thanks for the pics YODA.

I think I am going to let Dennis get it all figured out and get what he gets.

I want the smallest practical size, is that 19 ? I am wearing 4 pounds now with my backplate, so..seems like I will be in the hole, no? Dennis what does the pony weigh?

Bill, can't you still blow on o-ring with DIN?

Yes, 19 is GENERALLY considered to be the smallest practical size. DO the math for yourself to see. Calculate how much gas you need to safely exit your situation, then make a controlled ascent and safety stop from the depths you think you will dive solo. Then get the next larger tank to be even safer.

My calcs showed that (even with a 1 CF/min surface consumption rate) I could use a 13cf pony. I went with the 19 incase things got even than expected.

FD

thanks...Paul C. posted a handy table earlier. Where would you gauge your pony?

catherine96821:
argon is a heavy gas, yea?

Where are "we" gonna put the pony gauges, Dennis? I don't do air integrated and I don't have all the back up stuff you have. I just have my Sunnto and my SPG from Soggy.

Honestly, if I had to sling the bottle, I would just forget it. (hey maybe I should just get the small spare air? :wink: , or breathe from my bc)

Dennis, the point about hanging inverted or crawling through spaces is a good one. I think hovering upside down would be tough with a sideslung....

Larry at Scubatoys told me they have a new, larger gauge that screws into your first stage. It does not have a hose but you can easily check it when you go through your pre-dive checks. I would not use a slung bottle now.

do it easy:
In a pinch, you could inflate the DS with the LP hose for the wing (if they are the same fitting).

I have a backup inflator on my left post in case I am out of argon.

I also mount the argon bottle to my backplate so that I can reach the valve.

Thanks, that makes sense. Sometimes the obvious eludes us young pups.

why would you (Dennis) since you have air integrated not want to monitor it on your wrist? (since you wear multiples?)

dave, are you an adult, BTW?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom