Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am thinking it that Dennis might have found a low-drag option...looks pretty enticing.

(-)

1. Drag in the water. With the camera and strobe, sometmes I struggle in currents, getting back on the boat in rough seas, can I handle more weight to pack around?

2. Traveling. Will this be a major pain? Will be cognizant of when I have the pony and when I don't? Now, I limit my depth to what I can safely CESA from.

3. Points of failure.... It will be isolated, right? so, ..no.

4. Cost

(+)

1. fewer lectures, (more freedom?)

2. May actually need it someday. I could get caught on a wreck, and lose air catastrophically trying to get free, for example. It has entered my mind.

3. Would be a better role model.

Do I have all the variables in play? how bout you? How do you decide?

Darn thing won't fit into my condo...and I have no place for the hay.

MODS, get this DIR troll outta here! :D see now? what we poor solo people have to deal with? I would get drop punted outta DIR in a NY second. Nobody takes my issues seriously.....

catherine96821:
MODS, get this DIR troll outta here! :D
Oops...That will teach me to look before posting :wink:

catherine96821:
How do you decide?
Just a normal risk/reward tradeoff like any other decision. I choose not to use a pony or doubles.

When diving from a boat, I usually have someone within reasonable distance for air sharing. In particular, when going below 80'-100', I will close to within a couple body lengths of another air source.

When solo diving from shore, I generally stay much shallower than the depths from which I've done a practice ESA (90'), and IMO the extra weight of the pony bottle is more a hazard during surf entry and exit than the hazard reduction it provides during the dive.

And then the real reason ----- I'm too lazy to drag an extra cylinder around. :)

Where I dive in the Philippines, solo diving is not allowed but they let me go off on my own and told me not to publicize it. I know they would be more comfortable if I had a pony and I think I would too.
The weight will not bother you under water but the trim? Yes, it is a pain to travel with but I have one in Mexico and I'm going to leave one in the PI. Tank that is. The tank is not expensive, under $100. The cost is worth it in my opinion, less than the 8" port.
With this Quick Draw bracket, it is easy to change tanks but I will have to balance out the extra weight.
I never do shore dives so that part does not come into play with me.

but Dennis, would it not "advertise" your plans? see, I do a lot under the radar and so I am worried about that image thing. The managers types who think about risk management at resorts but never actually get on a boat will see you coming from a mile away. You better think about that. hate to see you clip your own wings.

Charlie99, I do exactly that. That is why I cannot decide. I think it might actually be less safe for me. This is reminding me of the helmet law arguments in Cali. (of course helmets are good)

So, let me get this straight, you will run out of air, sit there and take your reg off and attach it to your pony? Or before you run out? (POOR GAS MANAGEMENT, dude) I thought they were "supposed" to have their own reg.

You could consider an H-valve on your primary tank..? That will give you redundancy and not burden gear-wise. I'd consider the tank size though and maybe consider increasing the size.. a free-flowing reg can dump a lot of air before you can shut that post down. With travel, well I'd take a pony with me or plan to rent doubles.. can't imagine not having some form of bail-out now. You can choose to back-mount a pony to keep it out of the way.

H-valve...? so your reserve is in your main tank? I thought that was a k valve. straighten me out..I like the sound of that. Any downsides?

yes, Dennis is looking at the back mount style I think. I know i want something centered.

I talk to them about it before hand anyway Catherine. I don't just jump in the water and take off. It actually gives them more of a sense that I am "set up" for solo even though I have been diving without a pony until now. The pony I have in Mexico has a sling set up but I've never used it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom