Why don't the United Kingdom and Australia drive on the right side of the road?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where is almightywife? I would have thought that she would be defending those drive on the left folks? She started this with her comment in the metric thread. Is she sleeping, or gone diving?

Actually, from the several times I've visited the UK, I've noticed that the cars I've rented there still have the turn signal on the left and the windshield wipers on the right. I'm guessing it's due to European car manufacturers having to design cars for both sides of the road, and that's one way they can keep the same parts and thus the costs down.

Australia is a different story. Their cars have the turn signal on the right and wipers on the left. I drove around Cairns for perhaps two days while "indicating" with my windshield wipers :11:

I don't think it's anything country-related, but rather a manufacturer decision. I know for a fact that here you can find cars with turn signal on the left, but also cars with turn signal on the right.

Oh... and we're driving on the left side too :)

Where is almightywife? I would have thought that she would be defending those drive on the left folks? She started this with her comment in the metric thread. Is she sleeping, or gone diving?
Maybe, she is vexed?

Actually in England it was because the King decreed it to keep folks from getting run over by the coach traffic. IN France and other countries it was because Napolean declared his troops would march that way.

Mike

As most people are right-handed, they would walk in a way that they could show their right hand to be weaponless. The Little Corporal (the first one, at least) was left-handed and ordered his troops to march in a manner so that HE could show his weaponless left hand.

Once again, lefties RULE! :lotsalove: :no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom