Question Rec cold water diver: Single, Double or Sidemount? (focus on safety)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, and there is a very interesting article I just found today, explaining all the details:
I follow another thread about the DIN EN250 (some people claim it's useless) and there is a EN250A which means the regulator set (1st and two 2nd stages) is rated for 2 peoeple breathing from a single first stage at cold water. Unfortunately, there is also a EN250A >10°C... so, people need to be aware of the differences and exactly need to look what is engraved on the first stage ...

To answer my own question on the H-Valve: It seems that the probability of a free flow/ ice build up is higher with more pressure in the tank.
I will probably encounter water temperatures between 4°C and 10°C at my local dive spots during the colder seasons, so a good cold water setup is key for me. And though I don't want to dive solo, I prefer to be not dependent on a dive buddy.

It seems that the probability of a free flow/ ice build up is higher with more pressure in the tank.
At the first stage, but not the 2nd stage. The first-stage brings the tank pressure (3500 psi, 500psi) down to about 140psi, which your 2nd stage then brings down to about ambient-pressure. So, your 2nd stage gets the same amount of pressure regardless of tank-pressure unless your pressure is quite low.

The more the air expands due to pressure drop, the more the temperature drops. (classic physics pV=nRT)

(Some minor simplifications in there, but I didn't feel like writing a much longer post)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom