Why dont many SCUBA divers use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well IMHO, I would say that it is more a question basic equipment that anyone should have on hand foldable or not.

I can understand that depending where you dive you might probably not use it.

But in heavy diving conditions (such as in Europe) where there is a lot of wave and so on .. if for any reason you have to surface swim for a long time you will be glad to have with you.

Updated the EncyclopediaDramatica page to reflect Saspotato's version of history. I'd originally posted a link, but many of the advertisements are NSFW (or worse), so... edited to remove.

Updated the EncyclopediaDramatica page to reflect Saspotato's version of history. I'd originally posted a link, but many of the advertisements are NSFW (or worse), so... edited to remove.

:rofl3: ED, I'll have to check it out when I get home... I can never trust what the front page will show so might avoid it at work :wink:

The only reason why I don't wear a snorkel is every time I went for my power inflator I ended up grabbing my snorkel, drove me crazy.

I never used it anyway. Guess that's 2 reasons! :D

The only time I've ever thought a snorkel might have been handy was yesterday diving a shallow reef. I was using up the last half of my tank and sucked it dry. Had a long surface swim back in which on this occasion would've been easier to do face down rather than on my back because there are shallow rock ledges. Still...it was relaxing swimming along on my back looking up at the sky.

What's the title? Tried "snorkel", "scuba", "Samuel Scubatate", "Egbert Snorkopolous", "history of snorkel". Run out of search words now!!

I've gone full circle on the snorkel. Used to use it, then removed it because it was getting tangled up on things. But a couple of weeks ago had to swim on my back through rough swells and used up over 400 psi off my tank. Worse than that my reg does not breathe well above water.

So now if I anticipate a long swim I will take the snorkel. Also I should add that I tried the Oceanic folding snorkel and it just does not cut it for me as I need lots of air when I swim and that snorkel is too restrictive.

Adam

Two reasons: (1) it gets in the way when I'm trying to film in tight places such as small recesses in the reef and (2) the sea lions love to steal them, sometimes taking my mask with it.

There are times when a snorkel would come in handy (long surface swims), and carrying one isn't a bad idea.

Your mileage may vary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom