Why dont many SCUBA divers use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, look at this issue from a slightly different perspective. Suppose you were asked during certification if you wanted to wear a device that you are unlikely to ever need; that would hang down beside your head, knocking against your chin; that would get caught in and pull your hair; that, in strong current, might get pulled by to such an extent that, if you are stopped, either you would be in jeopardy of losing your mask or having water breach the seal against your face; that would scrape against the reef should you try to put your face in a tight space to look at something; would prevent you from looking at all into certain reef places; would interfere with using a camera; would pull your mask strap off your head on a giant stride entry; and which, if mistaken for a regulator mouthpiece when preparing for your giant stride, would force you to inhale a mouthful of salt water? Would you wear that device?

I, too, benefited from using a snorkel at the surface in order to save air while waiting for others. However, that was ancient history in my diving experience. Better air usage efficiency eliminated any need for that use rather quickly. Are there some circumstances in which a snorkel would be useful? Sure, but not the vast majority of occasions. So, my solution (posted previously elsewhere with a picture) has been to create a DIY storage place for my snorkel. It is out of sight and, for the most part, out of mind, attached to my BC behind my right shoulder. From there, I can remove it easily with one hand, in the unlikely event that it will be needed.

You should check out the "Ask An Expert" feature in the August 09 issue of Scuba Diving Magazine for a brilliant debate on the subject. The .pdf of the article is too large to upload here, but since I was one of the brilliant debaters, I have two or three (thousand) copies lying around. Message me if you'd like one...

So what's the nickel version of the result of the debate?

So, look at this issue from a slightly different perspective. Suppose you were asked during certification if you wanted to wear a device that you are unlikely to ever need; that would hang down beside your head, knocking against your chin; that would get caught in and pull your hair; that, in strong current, might get pulled by to such an extent that, if you are stopped, either you would be in jeopardy of losing your mask or having water breach the seal against your face; that would scrape against the reef should you try to put your face in a tight space to look at something; would prevent you from looking at all into certain reef places; would interfere with using a camera; would pull your mask strap off your head on a giant stride entry; and which, if mistaken for a regulator mouthpiece when preparing for your giant stride, would force you to inhale a mouthful of salt water? Would you wear that device?

I'm with ya on the first few points, up to the hair pulling bit, you could have stopped there. But all that stuff about pulling off your mask and getting your head stuck in a reef is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

You know I only had my snorkel for my OW and Rescue class- and in Rescue it never got used, but we were suppose to have it.

In all honesty I'd lend my snorkel to anyone who wanted to use it with the disclaimer that it really does suck (and yes I know how to use a snorkel, and would prefer to clear a solid tube than what I currently have) they would be warned that they would very very likely get more water than air.

I always have surfaced with enough air left that even if there was a long swim I'd be okay.

At state parks and reefs, we find snorkels. All colors. Even a pink one with a flapper valve like inside a commode. The best find: a plain black tube "Omersub" snorkel. It does not have the bulk of a deluxe snorkel. Guys might like that it does not look "toy store".

If I need one, that's it.

On boat dives the snorkel usually stays in the bag. On shore dives,I usually have my snorkel attached to the chest area of my BC. There is a 1" diameter ring attached to my mask strap and a brass squeeze clip attached to the snorkel. If I want it, it is easy to unsnap from the BC and onto my mask. My BC has straps instead of a cumberbund, which makes it easy to tuck the snorkel out of the way while cliped to a D ring.

At state parks and reefs, we find snorkels. All colors. Even a pink one with a flapper valve like inside a commode. The best find: a plain black tube "Omersub" snorkel. It does not have the bulk of a deluxe snorkel. Guys might like that it does not look "toy store".

If I need one, that's it.

lol I was just going to add that I have about 5 or 6 snorkels at the moment, some of them pretty $$$, and only one that I bought.

Reason I do not wear one diving...I find so many that I figure I too will lose one...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom