Why dont many SCUBA divers use a snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lol I was just going to add that I have about 5 or 6 snorkels at the moment, some of them pretty $$$, and only one that I bought.

Reason I do not wear one diving...I find so many that I figure I too will lose one...
I probably have a dozen by now, but in my case it is mostly from various door-prize type draws at scuba events. I always wear one, if I lose it, I have plenty to choose from, and my dives often involve a lot of surface swimming.
-Craig

Honestly, I think a snorkel creates far more problems than it solves. There may be select situations where one is needed like long surface swims but that is the exception.

Almost every "benefit" to a snorkel is to save a little air - waiting for buddy to get in, or waiting to be picked up. A little air lasts a long time on the surface. If the surface is so choppy you cannot catch a breath between waves then a regulator in mouth is far more reliable than a snorkel. Do you climb up the ladder with your reg in your mouth or your snorkel?

On the other hand, some of the problems - entanglement, mask pulling, confusion with deflator hose - are issues that can create an underwater emergency.

If you are consistently coming up far from the boat and low on air then you have dive management issues that a snorkel cannot solve.

I haven't reached the "I'm such a stud I don't need a snorkle" stage, so I proudly keep mine clipped on. I feel like I'm always waiting around to be picked up or waiting for everyone else to get off the boat, or swimming back to shore with a lot more interesting stuff below me than above the surface, so I use the snorkel a lot.

I haven't reached the "I'm such a stud I don't need a snorkle" stage, so I proudly keep mine clipped on.

If you really believe this then I think you miss the point.

It is not about being cool, it is a personal choice of not taking something that you don't need. It is no different to not taking a stage when you don't need one, or a camera, or primary torch. I stopped carrying mine because I have only had one time where I wished I had it, coped just without it just would've been handy, the rest of the time it has been a PITA.

If you find it useful, then continue to use it, but it doesn't have anything to do with dick size.

I only wear a snorkle when I'm freediving (spearfishing). I do
Carry it in my thigh pocket when scuba diving, it's a flexible
Snorkle so it fits easily in my pocket.
I carry it in the event that I might need it at the end of a drift
Dive. But I've never needed it. I just surface swim on my back.
I don't want to wear it on my mask strap while scuba diving.
It flops around, and contributes to mask leaking,also they do look
Sort of silly hanging off of peoples masks while at depth.
-Mitch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom