Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because someone once said to me, diving is like going to space. It's an unexplored frontier and once underwater, you feel liberated and at peace.

Because I have bad nightmares and diving is the only thing that quiets my mind. If I dive before bed, I am calm and relaxed. If I dive after I wake up from one, It slows me down.

Because I can go where I should not be, and that makes me feel free.
Because it makes me understand what it is to be a human being.
Because it is like meditation, but it's funnier.
Because it makes me a better man.
Because no ball breaker can reach me on the phone.

I dive because:
(1) I love fish and aquriums. I like seeing critters under the sea. The best way to that is to be at their home.
(2) I always dream of being in the weightless room; floating and flying. Being in the water diving gives me the same feeling.
(3) It's one thing on my "to do" list before I die (or get too old) :)

My passion for diving extends beyond obsession. Diving is an escape. A brief moment to stop time from moving forward. To float among the other inhabitants of our planet as an observer is unequaled in any other part of my life. My objective on most dives is to be invisible. I enjoy watching the animals whose world I have invaded carry on with their lives as if there was nobody blowing bubbles in their direction. I have been more fortunate than most to have experienced the joy and serenity of sea lions laying on either side of me, mimicking me as if they were the ones who thought of the idea. To gain the trust of an octopus and have it come out of its den to inspect the large intruder or to pet a lobster without it scurrying away are aspects of my diving that I cherish. I have also been blessed with a number of dive buddies with similar interests. Most of my dive buddies have become friends for life.
Watching a structure, whether natural or manmade appear out of the gloom as I descend upon it still thrills me as much as it did the first time. Shipwrecks, rockpiles and artificial reefs are oases in a desert of liquid. The amount and diversity of life found on an offshore site in Southern California rivals any tropical reef.
I have witnessed Blue Whales turn on their side to look up at me and the largest animal on Earth is no more of a thrill to me than watching a nudibranch slide across a reef.
When conditions are optimal, the only thing that brings me down is that I can't get ten hours out of a tank. When the vis is low, I seek out the macro and the micro. There is always something to see underwater. The only thing that comes close to the love I find while neutrally buoyant is sharing it with others.

You guys have been great. I got more replies than I thought. Might turn this into a book!! Keep em comming. Oh, and by the way, why do I dive? It's only fair to share with you my reasons:

I got interested in diving after my brother-in-law got certified and showed me all his neat “stuff” for diving. I thought --I need more “stuff”. After I got certified my brother-in-law invited me and my two sons to join his family on a vacation to the Florida Keys. There would be, for sure, some diving as well as other things for the non divers to do. My sons, not content on just sitting around asked me if they could become certified also. They got their certification and off we went. In the Keys, we did a lot of diving from Largo down to Key West, along the way we got our Advanced certifications.

We still do our family diving vacation every year. We usually choose some “exotic” destination and dive. Between my family and my sister’s family, there are now 18 divers. We usually find a boat that can handle this size group and virtually take it over for a week.

This has become a tradition that I don’t want to ever end. How else is a dad able to convince a 22 and a 25 year old to go on a family vacation?

I dive for the peace, solitude and the beauty....it is a world that is not seen by most of the world. Diving has taken me to some of the most incredible places in the world which I probably would not have gone to if I was not a diver.
Growing up in the 70's and watching Jacques Cousteau, being a marine biologist and exploring the underworld is all that I want to do. Our lives and careers take many different paths, but now what I do for pleasure is what I wanted to do as a career...I have no regrets because when I dive, it is all for fun.

A Zen Diving Koan

A Zen Scuba Instructor (me) saw five of his students return from their last scuba diving practice carrying all of their scuba gear. When they had stopped, the teacher asked the students, \'Why do you scuba dive?\' The first student replied, \'Scuba Diving is exercise and it is also good for you to learn how to breathe!\' The teacher praised the student, saying, \'You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not breathe as laboriously as I do.\' The second student replied, \'I love to watch the coral and the rocks and sand pass by as I swim.\' The teacher commended the student, \'Your eyes are open and you see the world.\' The third student replied, \'When I dive, I am content to chant in my mind, nam myoho renge kyo.\' The teacher gave praise to the third student, \'Your mind will travel with the ease of a properly weighted diver.\' The fourth student answered, \'Diving under the water’s surface, I live in harmony with all beings.\' The teacher was pleased and said, \'You are swimming as though on the golden path of non-harming.\' The fifth student replied, \'Why teacher, I dive to dive.\' The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, \'I am your disciple.\'

(c) 2002 CowboyNeal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom