Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

at the beginning of every dive i am re-introduced to that explosion of wonder. all of my senses meld together and i ever so gently slip into nirvana. a large grin forms on my face, and, like a child entering disneyland for the first time, i foolishly believe that i can experience it all. at the end of my dive i reflect on my naive perceptions and childlike behavior and realize that this is exactly why i dive!

I have been snorkling for the last 30 years or so, now since the last 2 years I have finally made the dive. Now I must say, why did I wait for so long?

The reasons to dive are numerous but can be describe quickly: Alone, floating, breathing, anotherworld. You become so much aware of your fragility as a human being even more since my last trip.

I did the Cenote in the Mayan Riviera. It will seem weird but, with the lightning I've never felt so close to haven.

Happy diving

because its my best form of therapy...I road rage myself over there, then I dive into peace, and finish it off with road rage my way

I am a professional educator ( science teacher). Therefore, by definition, I am a perpetual learner. I dive so that I may have new experiences, learn about this wonderful new environment, gather data, collect photographs and video, and then bring all I have learned back into the classroom for my students. Whether it's teaching physical science concepts dealing with pressure and the expansion of gases or biological issues such as reef system protection and diversity of marine species, I use diving to expand young minds and encourage that sense of wonder that is all important to the educational process.
Incidentally, that sense of wonder is something I still retain, too, and I am never disappointed when I make my forays into the aquatic world. That's why I volunteer my time to organizations such as the Marine Sanctuary system and others. I am often immersed into projects and environments I could only have dreamed of before I became a diver. Besides, it's just plain fun!

Guba (my granddaughter can't pronounce "Grampa Scuba")

Blitz:
Because I have bad nightmares and diving is the only thing that quiets my mind. If I dive before bed, I am calm and relaxed. If I dive after I wake up from one, It slows me down.

Truly? Thats an amazing strategy. You must live near the sea then?

It's like nothing else in the world. Every dive, even if on the same site, is different. There have been times where I have almost run out of air because I was so relaxed and "lost" in another world, that I almost forgot where I was.

When I am not diving I enjoy swimming. But when I dive into a pool I instinctively breathe when I get underwater, and wind up almost choking to death. My body thinks that "hey, I'm underwater and I can breathe here". I guess what I am trying to say is that diving has become more than a lifestyle, it's become a PART of who I am, mentally and physically.

Mike Rushton
PADI DM 174448

Diving is so many things to me... Antoine de Saint-Exupery wrote, I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of small things. This is how I feel about diving.

When I'm below, there is nothing but that instant and the smooth sound of my breathing. It's the closest thing to Satori that I've ever known, and I find it amazing that monks meditate for years and years to attain the feeling that I can have, the instant I slip beneath the surface.

The dizzying diversity of life that inhabits the reefs, the eerie beauty of a wreck, confronting the elements, pushing myself -- my mind and body, the discipline and attention to detail that goes into planning and executing a dive, the comaraderie with other divers, the beauty of the tropics, the challenge of rough seas and bad viz... To me, diving is everything. I feel most alive and the greatest reverence I've ever known, when I'm diving. It's like being a dream in the mind of God.

because my husband doesn't...

(just joking...giggle...I crack myself up!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom