Why do yoke valve connecters even exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HungoverDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This isn't so much a yoke vs DIN question, since there are a million posts with that debate, but rather an inquiry as to how did these two styles come to be. If the DIN connection is more secure, why does the yoke style remain so prevalent in the market (at least in the American/Australia/Caribbean markets)? If by magic all the old yoke style 1st stages and tanks were converted to DIN, would anyone care?

This more or less came to my attention as I now move from rec to tech, and need to convert by 1st stage to DIN from yoke.

Yoke takes much more abuse than DIN for rental use since it's not possible to cross-thread during reg-installation.

I'm starting to see locations offering convertible valves - a yoke adapter threaded into the din valve that you can spin out with an allen key.

It also takes a long time to dislodge a widely used incumbent standard, even when you come up with a superior product.

See also: the Metric system.

---------- Post added October 28th, 2014 at 12:05 AM ----------

From another thread:

Often pushing metric for U.S. scuba divers is like the repetitive threads pushing DIN over Yoke connections; it's a better solution for something most of us aren't having much of a problem with.

To answer the question, because that was a design that worked...

As to why
...yoke style remain so prevalent in the market...

Sort of answers it own question they are prevalent so remain prevalent. Given that a 1st stage can last decades it is hard to see all the current equipment being upgraded (if possible) or replaced.

All new tanks I have seen (in the last year) have had valves with the removable plug to support DIN. But we now have EU implementing a new DIN standard...

I have found some issues with the inserts, some use a thiner o-ring so need more parts and the hex socket in the insert can get deformed and stop the yoke 1st stage from seating. I the deforming happens when trying to remove an insert that has corroded in!

To answer the question, because that was a design that worked...

As to why

Sort of answers it own question they are prevalent so remain prevalent. Given that a 1st stage can last decades it is hard to see all the current equipment being upgraded (if possible) or replaced.

All new tanks I have seen (in the last year) have had valves with the removable plug to support DIN. But we now have EU implementing a new DIN standard...

I have found some issues with the inserts, some use a thiner o-ring so need more parts and the hex socket in the insert can get deformed and stop the yoke 1st stage from seating. I the deforming happens when trying to remove an insert that has corroded in!

Agreed, tanks in rental fleets are rarely upgraded for budget reasons, over time (MANY years) we will see the convertible valves become more common, but probably it will be for naught as I'll bet the vast majority of the inserts will end up 'corroded in' as previously mentioned due to infrequent usage of the remove-insert-for-DIN option anyway. Kind of a chicken and egg thing.

Yoke takes much more abuse than DIN for rental use since it's not possible to cross-thread during reg-installation.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for! Need something that is more durable during installation for novice/careless divers.

Damn I'm the newbie. 55 years old and I can use Google. DIN very high pressure, yoke 3500 or less American insurance issues. damn lawyers. please people I look to you for answers.

I have a Sherwood yoke reg that was made for 4000# service, it is from the early '70's. Since the modern yokes are made for use with 3445# service and worked well with 3700# on numerous occasions, I believe it is more a change of convention than the pressure limitations of the yoke connection.

Oh yeah, what do you call a thousand lawyers on the bottom of the ocean?

Bob

I started using DIN in the early 70's (with used Poseidon tanks I bought in Puerto Rico). It wasn't even known as DIN back then. In the US, I don't know of anyone that was using DIN connections back then.

I don't use DIN much anymore. I prefer yoke connections. They are easier to use, very reliable and much more forgiving in a harsh environment.

In the long run yoke is much more durable. The chrome on the female DIN threads wear too easily and then it can damage your threads on regulator.

In a corrosive salt and sand environment, yoke is a much better connection in the long run.

I talked to a dive operator (in the Philippines) that offered DIN valves (she was a German lady) and she said DIN is great: "We just have to replace the valves every few years, valves are not that expensive anymore". I guess that is a work-around, but it just points out that they are delicate. You just hope that it is not your regulator the last one connected before they need to replace the valve.

I have had to use a wrench a few times to disconnect a DIN connection after a dive. Some very small grit just got in the threads during the connecting process and locked the threads when I pressurized the connection. At the end of the dive I completely purged the connection, but could not take it apart without a wrench.

DIN valves not only receive a lot of wear in the threads, but they are also very easy to deformed if dropped or banged. In Bonaire were shore diving is common and you take the tanks in the back of your rental pick-up truck with you, tank valves receive a lot of abuse. I was talking to our dive operator and he said that he would never offer DIN or DIN convertible valves. "Divers are not careful and they drop the tanks from the tail gate way too often when they are setting them up." Only a yoke valve can survive that kind of abuse. Sometimes they get damaged, but more often than not, they are still usable.

Both DIN and yoke connections are secure connections when properly mated. DIN has the advantage of having a lower profile without the yoke screw. But I personally find the yoke screw more continent to work with. DIN is very secured when matted, but the two components when are not mated are relatively delicate and exposed to damage.

Yoke connection is also used on portable O2 cylinders and other industrial gases. It has proven to be a very robust long term connection for a very long time. Most (if not all) the issues that I have heard about yoke connection can be normally traced to operator error or damaged hardware. It is more difficult to damage the hardware on a yoke connection that on a DIN connection, but it can still happen.

Need something that is more durable during installation for novice/careless divers.

not quite sure that is why yoke exists. It works for a large % of divers. Why change?

This is definitely true, but also DIN valves can get knocked out of round easily. I don't think DIN valves would tolerate a place like Cozumel, where large fleets of rental tanks are tossed in the back of trucks and transported to the fill station daily. Then there's also the fact that, as Luis mentioned, there are exposed threads on the DIN valves that would easily get corroded in that kind of environment.

On many of the "DIN vs yoke" threads, lots of people make the mistake of comparing rental yoke tanks to their personal DIN tanks which have a much easier life. It's not at all a fair comparison.

DIN is great for technical diving, especially in areas where entanglement is a real hazard.

Back
Top Bottom