Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 1st mistake is that it seems everyone is talking about "Air2" as if its the only alternate available. If you dont like the way one feels or breaths try another. I have the Atomic, breaths great, nice mouthpiece and the convenience of the the water hose attachment for cleaning BC after dives come in handy. But you can try Atomic,Aqualung,Scubapro,Mares ,your not just locked in to one 'poor breathing" alt. I rarely use the inflator for dumps ,seems a roll to the left and a shoulder dump works better for me anyway.

i never found a problem when using mine (I have the Zeagle version), yes breathing is slightly more difficult that my normal regs, but otherwise it is fine in use.

i used mine with a long hose and bp/w setup. Now that I have moved into tech diving, the air2 has been relegated to my holiday/recreational kit.

ZKY, you can still dive with a buddy, just need to take old rescue class. or a double hose rescue class.

Or just review, this is my air, that is your air, see you on the beach.

... that's not diving with a buddy .. that's two people solo diving.

As for the Air2 discussion ... I have no problem with my students using any equipment that suits their stated diving goals. I would have a problem if they told me they had never actually practiced using it. Surprising how often I run into Air2 users who fit that category.

Like any piece of equipment, it comes with advantages and disadvantages. Like any piece of equipment, it will fit some dive objectives and styles better than others. And like any piece of equipment, it's only as good as the diver's ability to use it properly.

We need to focus less on what gear people are using, and more on how well they're using it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I actually like the Octo/Inflator combo, but the general consensus from DIR guys seems to be that the only safe option to dive with is a 7 foot hose and a necklace. But I am not quite sure what the point of a 7 foot hose is outside of a cave or wreck environment. Apparently the idea is to let your buddy borrow your air but not let him within arms reach when doing so.

I actually like the Octo/Inflator combo, but the general consensus from DIR guys seems to be that the only safe option to dive with is a 7 foot hose and a necklace. But I am not quite sure what the point of a 7 foot hose is outside of a cave or wreck environment. Apparently the idea is to let your buddy borrow your air but not let him within arms reach when doing so.

wait until you actually have to share air, had to do so swimming back to the dock and even with my buddies 7 foot hose, he still was kicking me occasionally.

The Air2 is adjustable (by service tech) so it can breathe rather poorly or just fine, depending on who last serviced it and how much time/care/attention to detail the person put into it.

The Air2 can fill your BC/Wing faster than a regular inflator. Don't believe me? Try it and see.

I agree it's not "ideal," but some people go a little overboard with this topic. Maybe they should dive more and talk/post about diving a bit less :wink:

I don't think that's the general consensus at all ... I think it would be more accurate to say that's the most appropriate option for diving in the DIR configuration. There are some advantages to it that are heavily discussed elsewhere ... but I think people (particularly on ScubaBoard) tend to overstate the DIR position without really understanding what it is ... or why.

Sharing air on a seven-foot hose doesn't preclude having your buddy within arms reach ... one can easily do that if the situation calls for it. But more to the point, an OOA diver who is not stressed out doesn't NEED to be within arms reach, and having a seven-foot hose gives you the ability to make a more manageable and relaxed ascent to the surface while sharing air.

Before becoming an instructor, I DM'ed several classes for a PADI instructor who wanted me to demonstrate to his students how the long hose and necklace system worked. This was an add-on to his regular curriculum, and something he felt they should be exposed to because it's a common configuration where I dive. In no way did this fellow promote any given configuration ... he just felt that providing his students with an understanding of how it worked was beneficial.

Knowledge of various configurations ... their advantages and limitations ... always helps someone decide what particular equipment would work best for them. In many cases, it helps you save money long-term, as it gives you the ability to make more informed purchasing decisions. But overall, pretty much any configuration you choose will be safe ... as long as you make the effort to learn how to use it properly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you need to use an Air2, venting your bc will be a minor problem given how the dive is going so far.

This is not true.

If you are sharing air, you need to ascend normally, but an ascent while sharing air should be stable and safe. A runaway ascent, on the other hand, is potentially fatal, so venting the bc is critical in this situation.

However, it sounds like the current Air2 (which I do not use) has a shoulder dump feature...

I simply cannot discern one advantage a Air2 type system has over a standard octo and necklace. Somebody, please name one...

I use the Air-2 and love it for the size and placement of the buttons. Can't get used to the smaller, often "poorly" placed buttons on my other inflaters. I only use it as a last resort as a second stage. I'm a manly man and don't wear necklaces (tee hee).

Back
Top Bottom