Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

However, it sounds like the current Air2 (which I do not use) has a shoulder dump feature...

Shoulder dumps have nothing to do with the Air2 or any other inflator, as that feature depends on the BCD or wing having the hardware to allow it. As an example, I can use either an Air2 or a regular inflator with Scubapro Knighthawk and have a shoulder dump, and not on a Halcyon wing (unless someone added it after).

Divinging thick kelp, is one, the octo will get pulled off necklace. I do not mean kelp that is strait up, were talking 3 knot current kelp laying down, you are 2' from bottom going through at a good speed.

I simply cannot discern one advantage a Air2 type system has over a standard octo and necklace.

One less hose.

But I CAN think of an advantage over the standard primary/octopus setup, with the octo in the "Golden Triangle". And that is the same one that you have with the bungied backup (only, perhaps, not quite to the same degree): your backup reg is someplace where you can instantly reach it at any time. No loose octos, dragging in the sand or catching in the rocks. No fumbling for a regulator that isn't quite where you think it is, because you haven't had to reach for it in dozens of dives -- you use your inflator EVERY dive, so the "muscle memory" of where it is, is strong.

I prefer the bungied backup for a lot of reasons -- usable with ANY regulator setup (just put a necklace on the shorter hose reg, and breathe the longer one); no proprietary fittings; does not combine backup breathing with buoyancy control; allows the use of a shorter and smaller inflator, so you don't have some big thing hanging down and flopping around. Compare this:

06eee670.jpg

with this:

181740_1844794640478_1258998267_2161534_2851535_n.jpg

Last edited:
actually the air 2 dumps and there is a shoulder dump on BCD's, I dump air in one of my rec wings with an air2.

Bravo dale well said.

DrBill, that is one I guess I never thought of why I like it better.

Oh and it does fill Quick.

I respectfully refer you to the Gospel of Jablonski, Chapter 2 reading from Verse 6.

And lo, they shall walk among you, and you shall know them, for they will carry the marks of the Devil upon them: snorkels, jacket-style BCDs and integrated alternate air sources. The prophets shall speak to them, and cry for them to take the path of righteousness, and be saved. But some will not heed the words of the prophets, and shall fall upon rocky ground. For it is written that it is easier to connect a yoke style regulator to a DIN fitting than it is for a diver carrying an AIR-2 to pass Fundies. This is the word of The Lord.

:rofl3:

Divinging thick kelp, is one, the octo will get pulled off necklace. I do not mean kelp that is strait up, were talking 3 knot current kelp laying down, you are 2' from bottom going through at a good speed.

Not if it is tie-wrapped on. It's more also more protected than just about any other AAS configuration I can think of. Cave divers don't have a problem with it when scootering in high flow systems... so I don't reckon the wavy kelp forest would over-challenge the concept.

actually the air 2 dumps and there is a shoulder dump on BCD's, I dump air in one of my rec wings with an air2.

Ok..I am trying to imagine the logistics of managing an ascent like this - from the perspective of a novice-intermediate diver.

The diver has a slightly panicking/apprehensive buddy... they are using their right hands to maintain a grip on each other... they are in very close proximity, because the doner has passed over his standard length primary reg... they are in a vertical ascent position (horizontal being impossible due to reg hose length)... that denies the effective use of the lower dump valves... so the doner now has to reach across their torso... in between to the two divers...trying not to dislodge the donated reg or knock the victims' mask... to access the dump valve on his right shoulder....he now can't see any of his gauges to control the ascent... the upper dump valve is far from precise... so buoyancy gets lost by one accidental over-deflation... he then has to re-acquire the LPI and add some more... then put his hand back onto the opposite shoulder to dump again....

Cripes... sounds like a horrible, nasty mess to deal with....

ZKY did bring that up that there is not a lot of movement with your head, I will agree you have to turn your self to the left.

TS&M shows a pic in open water, then her diving and in a cave diving, like dale pointed out there are different types of ways to dive.

TS&M's first pic was a single tank, while she was diving doubles, a perfect example of what dales post was pointing out, also the diver,s muscle memory was dead on in the picture.

This is one of those word salad sentences where there are words in there that are recognizable but they are not put together in any sort of coherent or cognizant fashion.

That is a great phrase! If you don't mind I may use it from time to time. :D

I have used the AIR II system going on 20 years now and have never once had a problem with it. From time to time I will switch to it during a dive just to practice and it breathes just fine. I have no problem using it and looking around at the same time. I have no idea where this "you can't turn your head" notion comes from. I admit I can't turn my head all the way around but I've only seen one person ever do that and it was Linda Blair.

I've also never used my inflator hose to dump my air on a dive. Never. My Scubapro BC's have both an upper shoulder dump and a lower rear dump. I seems it would be much easier to dump air from them than hold the inflator hose above me.

I'm always amused at the AIR II threads as they are usually full of "word salad sentences"!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom