Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry the cave diving picture was in there -- I didn't intend to use it, but needed some help in getting rid of it . . . The second picture is in doubles simply because that was the best frontal photo I could find, showing the neat, small, short inflator hose. I have exactly the same thing on my single tank setup.

As I have said, I don't think the Air2 is the work of the devil (despite Rhone Man's clever parody!) but I do think people don't think the whole thing through, don't put a longer hose on their primary, and don't practice with the device. I don't like it. I owned one, used one, and discarded it. That doesn't mean everybody would make the same decision.

Here are some shots of a recreational diver configuration...DIR version.View attachment 98712

View attachment 98712
Since most of the recreational divers who use Air II's will continue to breather their primary if a buddy is OOA, they donate the short hosed air II, and end up swimming with a buddy almost embracing them--the legs bumping on swimming, making it difficult and annoying for swimming....in a bad scenario, annoying means stressful and dangerous.
When you look at a DIR diver breathing the long hose they are trained to donate to a buddy, you can see how instantaneously the reg comes off the head and is handesd off, and with the necklace reg right under the DIR diver's chin, he is only an instant away from his next breath.

The worst thing about the Air II to me, is that it will destroy swimming the way it will be used by most divers, along with bouyancy control complications.

View attachment 98712View attachment 98712
View attachment 98712

View attachment 98712
View attachment 98712
View attachment 98712

View attachment 98712

dir2.jpg View attachment 98712

dir3.jpg

View attachment 98712

View attachment 98712Doingitright.jpg

"We" in actuality do not hate the Air2. A large percentage of recreational divers use them and appreciate what they offer besides one less hose. There is nothing wrong with them or there use. Those divers that have dive profile requirements that are not met by them may look down upon them, the DIR crowd that is looking for standardized equipment among their peers poo poo them. However the facts are clear that the average recreational diver that isn't diving within environments with overhead obstructions and has spent their time wisely drilling with their gear is just as safe as those using standard type octos.

The noise you may hear about them or other pieces of equipment like wireless air integrated computers vs brass & glass SPG is just that noise. In some cases it is due to groups that have their own agenda such as DIR and tech in other cases it is simply not understanding the proper us or how to deal with the limitations of new technology. A simpler way to understand the noise is the fact that these devices do sell to the masses and yet just a small number of people have complaints. Out of that small number of complains a percentage of them don't properly understand how to use the gear. Another percentage is just resistant to change from old school to new technology and finally the smallest percentage are those that actually have a problem with a defective device that sours them on the technology as a whole without giving it a fair evaluation.

[c][/c]

But what about the percentage of divers who have experience that shows the wireless AI computer and Air2-ish alternate are not suitable for a specific dive activity?

I have not seen a wireless AI computer maintain signal while scootering so you could know how much air is free flowing when their alternate/inflator is in the prop wash of an Apollo scooter. :idk:

Whatever you decide to use, just do everyone a favor and practice with it first.

My first and only experience with an inline octo was during my rescue course. The person I was budded with had been using his Air 2 for years, but apparently never practiced with it. I discussed it with him, because I had no idea what the procedure was, and he seemed ok, donate primary, use octo, seems simple enough.

So on one of our training dives, we were asked to do an ooa drill. So during the dive, I go up, and give the ooa signal. As I am sitting there, waiting for him to donate his primary, all I saw in his eyes was a giant state of confusion. He had no idea what to do.

When he finally figured it out, it was time to go up. grab each others BC's and start going up. Except, he could not figure that part out either. It was a giant cluster, and if that had been a real emergency it would have been even worse.

So please, if you have one of these things, take the time on a few dives to practice with it. I however will stick with my training, and keep my octo on my right shoulder, at least for a little while longer.

Like anything else, consult the experts with the most experience. Without exception, a conventional octo is selected to facilitate the most critical function of scuba diving (OOA).

Last edited:
Good point Hale, you will always have a different configuration in the types of diving, and the freeflow while scootering, has happen to me on the octo as in pic.

Different ways of hanging on scoots also, never had air2 in propwash, yet in your pic it would tend to lean that it would.

+1 on the wireless AI.

While driving past the beach this morning I didn't notice dead air2 divers washing up on the shore...then again the tide might have been going out. I'll check again the evening.

I think the air2 is a lot like politics in that I think most people are somewhere around center-sure, they have an opinion and when asked to vote 'Yes'/'No' it may make it appear to be a polarizing issue but really there are only a small group on the fringes that hate/love the thing. The rest of us just get dragged in.

I have one. I like it. For the conditions I dive in it works perfectly fine and I think most of the arguments against are a little inflated. I am aware of its strengths/limitations and I practice with it (and I have a longer hose on my primary).

I also had an acquaintance last year demo the bungied octo solution and I have to say I liked that a lot as well, especially how he was able to grab the octo without his hands. I am considering it.

Like anything else, consult the experts with the most experience. Without exception, a conventional octo is selected to facilitate the most critical of function of scuba diving (OOA).

Which makes me wonder is this from the "old school" of experts/users. I did my OW about 3 yr.s ago and the LDS that provided equipment had Air2's on all the BCs.So everyone learned their OOA drills with that setup.It was the only way I was taught, its what I own & its what I practice.I know there were class's before me ,many more after me.The question is since this is a method so popularly taught,
is the "Air2" the "New Standard" ?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom