Why do we hate the Air2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had my air II breathing down a 180ft in Lake Huron. It breathed like a rock, but I have in case my back up fails. I'm more than comfortable with having 3 air sources on me, and if it starts to free flow I simply disconnect the hose and let her calm down.

I have had my air II breathing down a 180ft in Lake Huron. It breathed like a rock, but I have in case my back up fails. I'm more than comfortable with having 3 air sources on me, and if it starts to free flow I simply disconnect the hose and let her calm down.

I'm not sure what you mean by "breathed like a rock"...do you mean it is dependable? Not trying to be obtuse, but a rock doesn't breathe all that well :)

Does it free flow very often, or are you just pointing out what you would do, if it ever did?

I think what he was talking about was that it breathed hard however his is probably not the (3rd i think ) newest generation of Air 2 that now are balanced regulators.

I have done a practice Air Share at 130 and had no difficulty with my newest version air 2

How are you going to vent your bc if you have to use it? Its in your mouth. Are you going to take it out and raise it up every time you need to vent? What about the fact that its right in your face. Are you going to vent all the air in your face?

I just picked one up attatched to a SP Nighthawk BCD. there are three dumps on the BCD, one at the bottom one at the shoulder and if you tug on the AirII hose, that will dump on the shoulder also. Oh and if you want to you can raise the inflator hose over your shoulder and dump that way too. Hold it, that makes four. I was not very impressed when reading about them a few months back, but am now looking forward to trying it out.

I think what he was talking about was that it breathed hard however his is probably not the (3rd i think ) newest generation of Air 2 that now are balanced regulators.

I have done a practice Air Share at 130 and had no difficulty with my newest version air 2

No they are not balanced. As such you are asking for a freeflow if you hook it up to an overbalanced 1st and go deep.

I just picked one up attatched to a SP Nighthawk BCD. there are three dumps on the BCD, one at the bottom one at the shoulder and if you tug on the AirII hose, that will dump on the shoulder also. Oh and if you want to you can raise the inflator hose over your shoulder and dump that way too. Hold it, that makes four. I was not very impressed when reading about them a few months back, but am now looking forward to trying it out.

even if you don't have multiple dumps, is it really that big of a deal to take it out of your mouth, vent, then put it back in? It would definitely be easy to find it :)

even if you don't have multiple dumps, is it really that big of a deal to take it out of your mouth, vent, then put it back in? It would definitely be easy to find it :)

You know I have never, in 22 years of diving, dumped air from my bc the more conventional way by holding the hose above my head. I was certified using Scubapro BC's with AIr II's and always used the shoulder dump.

I just picked one up attatched to a SP Nighthawk BCD. there are three dumps on the BCD, one at the bottom one at the shoulder and if you tug on the AirII hose, that will dump on the shoulder also. Oh and if you want to you can raise the inflator hose over your shoulder and dump that way too. Hold it, that makes four.
Correct!

We use the AIR II in training. The shoulder and bottom dumps are most effective and easiest to use.

The problem with the traditional dump method of holding the auto-inflator above your head is you can inadvertently push the wrong button which causes you to ascend rapidly.

Also, it takes way to much effort. As divers we are generally looking for the most efficient method - i.e. we are lazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom