Why do we bash each other?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But really, is there a need to continue the bias? When we dehumanize one person, we dehumanize everyone. While I applaud Bob's point that the guy in question was probably a DIR Wannabe rather than true DIR, it doesn't help to refer to him with a pejorative.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the Internet ... which is also where a lot of the problem comes from.

Had I said the same thing in person, you wouldn't have interpreted it as a perjorative at all ...

FWIW, most of the current pissing contests occur in the Pub.
... which was really rather the point of creating the Pub, as I recall ... to keep most of the miscreants out of the significant conversations.

But we don't have pissing contests ... we beat each other over the head with whiskey bottles ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the Internet ...
Which is why I try to avoid personal sarcasm, unless I know the "turd" really well. I'm just sayin'.

In politics and in the court, if you can't attack the persons ideas, substance, or methods, then you attack them personally and do character assassination! You make it personal and put form over substance! There are too many closed or single minded people with big EGOS that think "their way is the only way" or "know it all" and make a point out of running other people down! It is one thing to challenge peoples ideas and concept or try to be helpful in pointing out what maybe come a problem, but there are those who want to make people think they are "risking their lives" in an activity that is very safe! They want to be SCUBA Police and heroes to their friends and family! As said before it is a self esteem issue!

I post under my nick name, but do not hide who I am! I do think you should be willing to say it to some ones face if your going to say it!

Fundies doesn't make someone DIR (neither does a long hose, BTW).

Did the turd mention whether or not he succeeded in passing the class?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

He had to be DIR; he knew the secret handshake!
:mooner:

:D -Scott

Divers tend to be Passionate about their diving, gear, stories, favorite dive locations, type of diving etc...

I find a lot of people are very opinionated. Which is OK. Not like I am opinionated (sarcasam button pushed) I am still a newbie and find most people try to help. I haven't been attacked in the scuba forums I just (sometimes) get tired of the same people arguing the same point with the same people about the same things. It takes a little while but you figure out who to read and who to ignore (again my opinion). I think the PUB is a pretty good place for some discussion, You can learn a lot of things there too! The PUB is a place where things can be pretty rough but then If you don't want to risk it, don't go there.

Over all this is a great source of information both with what has already been posted and what is currently being discussed. I felt it was so good, I even became a supporter! Thanks Netdoc for the providing the opportunity to learn and have some fun!

Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the Internet ... which is also where a lot of the problem comes from.

Which was one reason I went a bit overboard with it. Using a term like "doody-head" followed by "nyah nyah nyah" tends to be pretty clear it's all in jest, and not meant to be taken seriously at all.

The Pub has HotChicks.

I think a lot of the above is true. I see people write in a manner that they'd NEVER speak to a person face to face!

I also believe that there's the cloak of invincibility that a lot of people have with their diving skills or perceived knowledge. Quite unlike me, I highly doubt that anyone knows how to do everything precisely right! Bwhahahhaahahahahaaahahhaha!

Seriously, it's not just the dive forums, it's all forums. Civility is dead, sirs and madams. By golly, we had a congressman say **** on the house floor last month. What's the world coming to?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom