why do they do that ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Can some one explain why Sea LIons kill molas? here we found a bunch at pt Lobos still alive..

[video=youtube;U38SBq91yi8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U38SBq91yi8&feature=plcp[/video]

Can some one explain why Sea LIons kill molas? here we found a bunch at pt Lobos still alive..

I recently heard a theory to explain this behavior which makes sense to me, but I want to talk with some more marine biologists before accepting it.

First, I was told that the skin of Mola's is poisonous to most predators--especially Sea Lions. So, according to this theory, Sea Lions as a species have developed a survival mechanism of ripping the fins off the Mola's and then letting the body sink to the bottom where the sea stars can come feed on them and dissolve the poisonous skin. After the skin has been stripped, the Sea Lions then go down to feed on the stripped carcass.

You'll have to admit that it is a bit of a stretch to attribute simple malice to the Sea Lions as an explanation for this behavior. Pure malice is rarely found in nature--except in humans. (But then how do we explain Orca's batting Sea Lion pups around?)

Bruce

You'll have to admit that it is a bit of a stretch to attribute simple malice to the Sea Lions as an explanation for this behavior. Pure malice is rarely found in nature--except in humans.
And dolphins, perhaps:

Evidence Puts Dolphins In New Light, As Killers - New York Times

Evidence Puts Dolphins In New Light, As Killers

By WILLIAM J. BROAD
Published: July 06, 1999

Everybody loves dolphins, those playful models of animal wisdom, celebrated for protecting shipwrecked sailors and spending their days frolicking happily in the waves. Movies, television and water shows feature their antics.

Nowadays, thousands of tourists swim with dolphins, captive and wild, with more signing up every day to commune with their animal intelligence. Most recently, a variety of organizations have sprung up that offer tours to places like the Florida Keys, the Azores and New Zealand, where participants can swim with wild dolphins and, brochures proclaim, experience emotional healing and spiritual awakening.

But scientists, following a trail of bloody clues, are discovering that dolphins are far from the happy, peaceful creatures that humans think they know.

Growing evidence shows that the big animals, up to 12 feet long, are killing fellow mammals in droves, wielding their beaks as clubs and slashing away with rows of sharp teeth. Dolphins have been found to bludgeon porpoises to death by the hundreds. Unlike most animal killers, which eat their prey, dolphins seem to have murderous urges unrelated to the need for food.

They have even been observed in recurring acts of infanticide.

Off Scotland, a scientist watched in shock for nearly an hour as an adult dolphin repeatedly picked up a baby in its mouth and smacked it against the water, over and over, until it sank from view.

Off Virginia, researchers found at least nine baby dolphins killed, their ribs broken, their skulls and vertebrae smashed. One small body bore puncture marks matching the pattern of adult dolphin teeth.

''We have such a benign image of dolphins,'' said Dr. Dale J. Dunn, a veterinary pathologist at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in Washington, who aided the Virginia study. ''So finding evidence of violence is disturbing.''

More widely, scientists and Federal officials worry about dolphins' injuring or even killing humans, especially given the rise in watching, feeding and swimming programs.

''Wildlife can be dangerous,'' said Trevor R. Spradlin, a Federal dolphin expert. ''But people see marine mammals differently, particularly dolphins. There's this misconception that they're friendly, that they're Flipper, that they want to play with people.''

Meh, not much different than what we see with chimps' interpersonal relations. More intelligent doesn't necessarily mean more benign--usually quite the opposite.

Oh please, not another "humans are the only bad boys of nature" post. Give it a rest, find a tree to hug. Sorry to disturb your reverie but humans are not the only creatures to kill for purposes other than food or self defense. Do you spend any time at all out in nature? Or on a farm? Have you ever had an aquarium? Dogs have been known to kill dozens of chickens (source, my uncles farm, I witnessed the aftermath. )Same goes for most canines, and cats for that matter often play with their food (like a mouse) then leave it uneaten, but DEAD. If you have ever had an aquarium (I've had several) it is not unusual for some fish to pick on other fish, even to the point of killing them. This even after you have studied up on which varieties "get along" . Sorry for the diatribe but geez, I get tired of that old song.

I recently heard a theory to explain this behavior which makes sense to me, but I want to talk with some more marine biologists before accepting it.

First, I was told that the skin of Mola's is poisonous to most predators--especially Sea Lions. So, according to this theory, Sea Lions as a species have developed a survival mechanism of ripping the fins off the Mola's and then letting the body sink to the bottom where the sea stars can come feed on them and dissolve the poisonous skin. After the skin has been stripped, the Sea Lions then go down to feed on the stripped carcass.

You'll have to admit that it is a bit of a stretch to attribute simple malice to the Sea Lions as an explanation for this behavior. Pure malice is rarely found in nature--except in humans. (But then how do we explain Orca's batting Sea Lion pups around?)

Bruce

WEll they are of same DNA as Puffer and Box fish and those have poisonous skin..

Oh please, not another "humans are the only bad boys of nature" post. Give it a rest, find a tree to hug. Sorry to disturb your reverie but humans are not the only creatures to kill for purposes other than food or self defense. Do you spend any time at all out in nature? Or on a farm? Have you ever had an aquarium? Dogs have been known to kill dozens of chickens (source, my uncles farm, I witnessed the aftermath. )Same goes for most canines, and cats for that matter often play with their food (like a mouse) then leave it uneaten, but DEAD. If you have ever had an aquarium (I've had several) it is not unusual for some fish to pick on other fish, even to the point of killing them. This even after you have studied up on which varieties "get along" . Sorry for the diatribe but geez, I get tired of that old song.

Um, maybe let's take it down a notch?

Back
Top Bottom