Why do the dive shops try to sell you the most expensive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spring straps aren't cheap. They are far superior to the original fin straps though. I wouldn't be upset with them offering a more expensive option such as spring straps. Spring straps are one of the best pieces of gear you can buy.

My feeling as a salesman is if I can't sell you the best item to suit your needs, then I am doing a disservice to you, my client. Does it cost more, sometimes.

In the distant past, I would put our divers in a $10/night room in Cozumel. I learned that almost all of them were happier staying in a $100/night deluxe room.

Why is it that we think we are doing divers a favor by making them cheap?

Most people are happy spending their hard earned money on quality items or experiences.

Most people are happiest when you actually try to understand what they want FIRST rather than pushing them either bottom or top shelf based on your own biases.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2013 at 01:16 AM ----------

You should by what you need. It is your choice. It is a free world.

Which completely glosses over the fact that a great many purchases are made in ignorance by new uneducated divers who naively trust the shop to steer them right,

Curious about what spring strap your LDS actually is trying to sell you, and how much they are selling them?

Curious about what spring strap your LDS actually is trying to sell you, and how much they are selling them?

It was about $130 for the pair. It had a loop you can grasp to pull it. There are clips to unhook them from the rest of the fins.

For $60, I got the simple strap that has a spring and a cover over the spring.

It could be that some LDSs are trying to get over on them. Lets face it, some businesses are unscrupulous, and others, like my LDS, are stuck in a business model that ignores the change in the marketplace that there is now competition for dive equipment sales. I have made several efforts to buy equipment they do not stock through them and each time the price is at least twice what I can by it for over the internet (not gray market), they want the $ up front, not to mention that it will be in my hands much sooner if I don't deal with them. I don't mind paying for a service but I have my limits.

I have a good relationship with the shop and the guys are ok, I buy what they have that I need and the price is fair, but they don't stock or sell for my type of diving.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.
Pinnacles?

Wow, no kidding, this got to be the most expansive spring straps I have never heard of. I used to think XS scuba or halycon's are expansive.

It was about $130 for the pair. It had a loop you can grasp to pull it. There are clips to unhook them from the rest of the fins.

I prefer $22 for a pair of spring straps with a nice pull loop. I have a few hundred dives on mine without failure :)
Fin Spring Straps

I have a good relationship with the shop and the guys are ok, I buy what they have that I need and the price is fair, but they don't stock or sell for my type of diving.
You mean like Nitrox? Or anything to do with Hogarthian style equipment? The local dive shops here just don't have anything I need except stainless steel buckles, d-rings, and stainless weight keepers.

I looked around, $30 for a pair of SS spring straps looks about right. Not $130. $60 is over priced. If you haven't used them, take them back and go someplace else or order them.

I looked around, $30 for a pair of SS spring straps looks about right. Not $130. $60 is over priced. If you haven't used them, take them back and go someplace else or order them.

Also think size has to do with it as well. The ones linked for someone with my sized boot/fins is about $40 for the Piranha Mfg ones.

Wow! You could have bought a heavy duty marine grade bungee stap system that comes with a new pair of fins attached for less money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom