Why do the dive shops try to sell you the most expensive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like all businesses, there are different owners with different mindsets. Some believe that the best way to get by is to make the best deal on an individual sale regardless of the needs of the customer. Some businesses believe in screwing a customer if necessary. Others believe they are best served long term by building a loyal customer base of people who feel they were treated well. The latter is the type of business I prefer to patronize.

But...

I used to work in a shop that I think really did its best to do the right thing for the customer in an open and honest way. It was losing money every year with its business model, and it was in serious danger of folding. It then adapted some business marketing practices that I thought were deceptive and even unethical, which was one of the reasons I left. I understand it is now making a profit every year.

Sometimes, a shop will try to sell you something expensive that they truly believe is better...
As far as springs straps go, this is what I suspect. I've made the same recommendation myself for a dive buddy looking to replace a strap clip as well.

Did they push the spring straps on your or just suggest/recommend them?

Because we ALL want to make as much money as we can! If it was big chain shop they're probably working on commission, if it was a small brick and mortar shop they're trying to maximize their limited business.

It is not a chain.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 11:01 AM ----------

I'm curious, what fins do you have now and what brand/cost were the spring straps?

I like spring straps, but you might be throwing good money after bad. All new fins might be the better choice...

Also I think it's dishonest to imply that only expensive gear is suitable for tech. It's not a difference in price, it's a difference in design. There is cheap and expensive recreational gear and there is cheap and expensive technical gear. I know what I prefer.

I have Mares Vector split fins.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 11:04 AM ----------

I know they are trying to make a profit. They are a business after all. The spring straps were suggested, and I was thinking of eventually getting them. Had they talked with me more, they would understand clearly what I need, before suggesting me the various models.

I deal with the shop on a regular basis, as with others in the area too.

I do find most places seem to push the high end stuff.

Like all businesses, there are different owners with different mindsets. Some believe that the best way to get by is to make the best deal on an individual sale regardless of the needs of the customer. Some businesses believe in screwing a customer if necessary. Others believe they are best served long term by building a loyal customer base of people who feel they were treated well. The latter is the type of business I prefer to patronize.

But...

I used to work in a shop that I think really did its best to do the right thing for the customer in an open and honest way. It was losing money every year with its business model, and it was in serious danger of folding. It then adapted some business marketing practices that I thought were deceptive and even unethical, which was one of the reasons I left. I understand it is now making a profit every year.

I've seen both sides. There was a local shop with 4x the showroom as we had, and about the same amount of stock. Their store wasn't a friendly place, and prices were pretty much MSRP. They had a better location and truthfully, had a lot more walk in traffic then we will ever have. And even while they had been in business a long time, ultimately they couldn't handle this economy. We have.

Whatever we are doing, we're doing it right. We've got a very strong and loyal customer base. We go out of our way to take care of everyone that walks through the door. Our owner will try to save you every realistic penny he can. Which sometimes drives me bonkers. In my opinion, $150 is better spent on a new first stage than to put $90 into a 15 year old first stage that requires an updated part. I will try to sell you that $150. Jim will try to sell you that $90. He remembers what it was like to be on a tight budget and wants everyone to be able to dive as affordably as possible. Whereas I want you to have the best you can possibly afford and get a fresh warranty on a reg that probably works better because it's 15 years newer.

We each have a different approach, and when you marry those approaches together, we've got a style that seems to work with the majority of our customers. Add in the fact that we'll price match anything you see online (from an authorized dealer) and we've got a recipe that's been working for 40+ years.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.... sometimes what you've got is a salesman trying to screw you. Your job is to figure out which one is about to happen.

Whatever we are doing, we're doing it right. We've got a very strong and loyal customer base. We go out of our way to take care of everyone that walks through the door. Our owner will try to save you every realistic penny he can. Which sometimes drives me bonkers. In my opinion, $150 is better spent on a new first stage than to put $90 into a 15 year old first stage that requires an updated part. I will try to sell you that $150. Jim will try to sell you that $90. He remembers what it was like to be on a tight budget and wants everyone to be able to dive as affordably as possible. Whereas I want you to have the best you can possibly afford and get a fresh warranty on a reg that probably works better because it's 15 years newer.
I think a key word in your description is "Jim."

The guy has a reputation. It's a good one. If I am in the area next year, I'll drop by, just because I trust him.

I am a firm believer that the best way to go is to develop a reputation like that, and you develop the reputation of being trustworthy be being dependably trustworthy over time.

Wrong Jim.

I'm friends with the Jim you are talking about, and we help each other out as much as we can a lot. But Jim will tell you point blank, he's no salesman and doesn't want to be.

But the Jim at Underwater Adventures is whom I'm talking about. I sell for UA. He's not much of a salesman either, but he makes up for it by caring about people.

My feeling as a salesman is if I can't sell you the best item to suit your needs, then I am doing a disservice to you, my client. Does it cost more, sometimes.

In the distant past, I would put our divers in a $10/night room in Cozumel. I learned that almost all of them were happier staying in a $100/night deluxe room.

Why is it that we think we are doing divers a favor by making them cheap?

Most people are happy spending their hard earned money on quality items or experiences.

agree.

Why is it that we think we are doing divers a favor by making them cheap?

Most people are happy spending their hard earned money on quality items or experiences.

That is true. But, what happens if there is not much of a difference in quality. But there is the difference in features?

If the bells and whistles get in your way, why should you be burdened with them?

That is true. But, what happens if there is not much of a difference in quality. But there is the difference in features?

If the bells and whistles get in your way, why should you be burdened with them?
You should buy what you need. It is your choice. It is a free world.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom