• Boredom/had enough/found new hobby

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Family obligations/Insurance

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • Work obligations

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Spooked by accident, close call, etc.

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Injury (bent, PFO, unrelated physical injury, etc.)

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Loss of/not enough buddies

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Relocated or too far from the water

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Too costly

• Other?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had occassion to converse with people that admit that they used to dive, and quit. I would bluntly ask why? The most popular response was health issues with aging. There have also been other responses of family responsibilties and money. I cannot imagine quitting diving. One person that I met over the last weekend did tell me that one day he was just done. No more SCUBA and no fishing, and took up golf.

Personally, I use to dive every other weekend a few years ago. My son is 17 months old, so diving is pretty well not even in the picture. It now revolves around the honey due list and playing with my son. Not complaining, but just can't wait to get him into diving.

12 more years until I can take my daughter diving, then 2 more for my son. I'm looking forward to it.

I own all of my own gear, including tanks, and I live within a 20 minute drive of about a dozen dive sites. A lot of it, including the regs and drysuit, were bought from someone who dove with his wife. She got pregnant, then two years later he realized it was going to be years before he got to dive again.

I only get wet every few months. Since July 2003, I've done 40 dives. I wrapped up a degree in 2004, then started with some kids. I used to work with another diver, and we went out regularly. I also bought a house three years ago, and so I've been busy fixing that up.

I took a break after reading "Diver Down" and taking a good look at the gear, especially my old BC. Now that I've replaced it, I'm looking forward to a few more dives. (Man, it's a really nice setup, and no learning curve.) Still, I just spent $800 (incl. taxes) on a new wing / harness and an Octo. (The Air2 wouldn't work with the wing - it was too short to share and the inflator on the wing was just too nice.) That's a lot of cash to throw down. That said, it made me feel a lot better to get rid of it.

I've never been afraid underwater. I don't know if I'm denial or if I'm just comfortable there. (Not bored) I've had a few bad dives, the worst being a pumpkin carving contest. (I kid you not.) I came within inches of thumbing that one and abandoning the gear. I've had some bad buddies, too.

I hated golf.

I also play Wii, board & tabletop games, and the euphonium.

The certified divers I know that aren't currently diving say they've "stopped" (for probably all of the reasons listed so far) not "quit". .. and at least in their heads intend to dive again - someday . I was first certified in 1965 and throughout my adult life were many long periods of not diving - once again for all the listed reasons.... but I never "quit" ..I always knew I'd dive again. Now we live in N Fla and I dive weekly... Diving ...Ain't it great!!!

In my immediate environment the following reasons apply most:

1) Change of priorities or circumstances in life. This could be children, work, house... If they started out quite young diving... going out, studies and boy/girlfriend also play a role.
2) Too many dives and shift of interest. Happens most to instructors who've been diving 10 + years. (although I also know who still dive every week after 20 years in the sport).
3) Physical injury, incident. This could be dive related (incident) or just physical injury. I can say if you have disc herniaton on 2 discs (S4 S5) and you do shoredives and need to walk with 60 to 70 lbs for half a mile the fun goes out of it.

As you can see I'm not talking about people who get a shorttime interest or have a specific goal (I want to dive in 1 month because I go on holiday)... most of those lose interest before they have 50 dives in (where personnaly the fun just starts because you are then in control).

Quit scuba? May as well quit breathing. Easy step by step proceedure to remain a scuba diver.:

1) Get great insurance.
2) Get a great babysitter.
3) Eat the kids.
4) Blame loss of kids on great babysitter.
5) Collect on insurance and move to Florida
6) Buy a blowup doll and strap tanks and fins to it as full time buddy.
7) Make sign "Will work for air fills"
8) Sell umbrellas to tourists for beer.
9) Get disowned by your family by telling them you're gay.
10) If you get too old, hook a reg to your med oxygen.
11) Find a LDS that takes medicare and foodstamps for $.50 on the $1

if this doesnt work....eat your head

Common reasons here, people learn without realising how much the gear and going diving actually costs.

Secondly they dont realise what it involves - some lose interest when they realise you dont just slap a tank on your back and jump in.

Also come across people (uk in particular) give up due to the weather - having 7 out of 10 trips a month cancelled due to wind does that do you.

Then there's the "been there, seen it, done it" people who learn to dive solely to tell people they're a diver. They then stop and move onto something else like skydiving, caving,skiing etc

I don't dive as much as I would love to. (work sch, 7pm-7am).
y kids love to snorkle and I really enjoy doing it with them. My daughter will never be a diver. I already know that and would never press her to try it.......My son on the other hand can't wait he's 10 but I feel that he is just not responible enough just yet. maybe a couple more years. But I still dive as much as I can squeeze in.

I spent a winter at the North Pole, and everyone I have talked to that has lived there - ether loved it or hated it.
It's the same with the water, ether have to be wet or you don't.

I used to date a girl, who after going out with me on the boat fishing, told me she could see why I loved the water, but she never got in the boat a second time.

My thoughts are here.

More and more I am realizing that many who enter the sport simply do not make it a priority to dive. Lacking significant experience they are in constant relearning process and it never becomes easy or really fun. They then loose interest.

On the other hand people do love to say they are divers.

Pete

My thought if I ever quit is just due to the logistics of my close friends not diving.

Back
Top Bottom