Why did you become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was 8 years old I went snorkeling in the Bahamas. Hated the fact that when I dived down I could not stay down long. Knew I was going to get certified it was just a matter of getting onld enough and saving up the money for gear.

To the contrary -- There are few things more masculinely attractive than a tall, fit man in black trilaminate . . . :)

sadly very few people are attractive in skin-tight anything, myself included! However, a diver having a great time before, during, and after the dive looks attractive to me. Besides, drysuits can hide the body imperfections better than any wetsuit. Thank goodness it cant hide a wide smile that makes the corners of your eyes crinkle from a great dive as that is more attractive than anything, at least to me.

I agree, since becoming a diver, I'm only attracted to men who are divers. If they don't dive, I have zero interest. :no:

Completely agree. If they don't get it or want to be a part of it, I am not interested in them.

How about an average height, pudgy man in black thermoprene? :lotsalove:

If you're having a great time, I'd think you were cute. :winky:

Like crd_kats says, if you having fun, it does matter. Eventually we all get squiggly in the middle anyway. Just keep diving and laughing about the diving, and finding fun people to dive with and it is all good. Showing the world that you are having a great time is more attractive than just about anything.

When I was a kid, I loved anything that had to do with water. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Moby Dick were my favorite books. Every year when school ended, my parents would buy me a new facemask and fins at K-Mart, which I would use up by the end of the summer. I always wanted to learn to dive, but my parents always said it was too dangerous and too expenseive.

Then one day, as my soon-to-be wife and I tried to figure out where we were going to go for our honeymoon, I took a shot in the dark and said "Hey, let's learn to dive together and we'll go to Grand Cayman for our honeymoon". When she said yes, I almost fell over! We did our OW class with a fantastic instructor, bought all our gear, and started diving locally. We didn't make it Grand Cayman due to Hurricane Mitch, but we went to Curacao instead.

That was ten years ago last October. My wife has given up diving and replaced it with an equally expensive hobby: scrapbooking. I still dive whenever I can and look forward to teaching my son someday. He thought the pictures and video from my recent trip to Cozumel were cool. This past winter, I read Moby Dick and 20,000 Leagues to him...

easy college PE class...in the fall of 1991 :doh2:

If you're having a great time, I'd think you were cute. :winky:

woo hooo...nother reason to love scuba diving. :D

Husband was a "uncerted" diver as a kid cleaning the bottom of boats in the 60s in S. Florida. When we got married in 1984, he wanted to get certified, and did in 1985. I didn't know how to swim very well, but decided that I did not want to sit at home while he did cool stuff, so my friend at work and I got certified in 1986. We had the orange "BC's", remember? Well, didn't dive much afterwards due to expense, kids, etc. Got recerted in 2002 with my sons, and our gear rarely dries out between dives now.

sadly very few people are attractive in skin-tight anything

Ain't that the truth. Skin tight neoprene seems to conceal the positive assets and accentuate the flaws, at least on me. I won't speak for anyone else.

Since I was born I loved water (drove my mother crazy), always first in and forever yelling "FIVE MORE MINUTES" when it was time to go. At a Native Indian religious ceremony an old woman came up to me and said "You are a water baby and should always be close to water". kinda odd when we live in a land locked province with the least amount of lakes in Canada. I swim three days a week but for some reason I never took a holiday or considered diving. We have mountains here so I skied, cruising the frozen ocean. well till I got old and frail anyway. I had reconstructive knee surgery a few years ago just after friends moved to Barbados. Booked a trip and told myself I would build the leg back up take diving lessons and get certified in warm water. Nine months after my surgery I did my first open water dive in Barbados. I wasn't on the bottom for five minutes when I was overcome with emotion, so much colour, so much peace, water is life. I have abandoned all other hobbies to be in, on, or under the water as much as possible.

Last edited:
Like crd_kats says, if you having fun, it does matter. Eventually we all get squiggly in the middle anyway. Just keep diving and laughing about the diving, and finding fun people to dive with and it is all good. Showing the world that you are having a great time is more attractive than just about anything.

Yes - sadly enough, what once rippled now merely wiggles.

I always loved reading Skin Diver mag and watching Cousteau specials. But after missing some very good locations during military assignments a friend talked me into finally doing it (diving, that is).

I nearly quit for the first 20 dives or so. Everything I did was wrong and/or frustrating. My instructor said that one day I'd be a good instructor because I had to learn how to fix just about every problem you could have as a new diver. I have to say that he was right - I've had to address most everything, so it helps me understand new divers having problems.

I gotta say, in many ways it's like sky diving. Both require good training, practice of skills, and if you run out of air you have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom