Why did you become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was not drawn to diving out of anything like snorkling (still have never done it) or watching Sea Hunt (it was just a bit ahead of my time.). For me it was just something that I always wanted to do for as long as I could remember. Like many of you guys, I too was a water baby, spending almost every waking minute of my summers in my family's pool. It also didn't hurt that time I spent a lot of time reading books on shipwrecks or going to aquariums, but to me life always seemed more interesting underwater than above.

One year my wife kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas. Kind of off handedly (sp?) I said that I wanted to learn how to dive. We had never before talked about it before so I was a bit surprised when she said that she too had always wanted to learn. Lo and behold on Christmas morning, I open a gift and inside are two gift certificates for OW classes at a nearby dive shop. We were estatic.

We took our class over the winter and lucked out that there were only two other students in it with us. We practically had private instruction, which gave us lots of extra time to practice our basic skills and ask questions during the classroom portion. A few months later we travelled to Texas to visit some of her family and did our checkout dives in the warm waters of Lake Travis. The idea of diving in the cold New Jersey water was just not too enticing to her. I remember descending to the first platform and staring in wide eyed wonderment at the number of fish that were swimming around. It was absolutely beautiful. I was in heaven. I didn't even mind the bluegills attacking my ears, probably getting me back for all their breathern that I have pulled out of lakes and streams in all my years of fishing. We breezed through our skills on our checkout dives without so much as the slightest hiccup. Even our instructor remarked that we appeared quite comfortable underwater. While he may have been just saying that to boost our confidence, I truly did feel completely at ease underwater...almost like I belonged there.

Well its been a few years since we were certified, and unfortunately work and life just doesn't allow us to get out more than maybe once or twice a year. I guess that relegates us to the status of "vacation divers", but it also just makes us savor the time that we do get to go...even it if is only for one day. After reading some of the other stories here though, it actually bolsters my morale to see that we are not alone and that others have been through diving droughts before. It will be easier when our son can dive with us (in two years), so until then I just live vicariously through all you guys here.

I just think of this as on long surface interval :D.

I started snorkeling when I was 8 in the lake. My grandparents owned a camp there and I remember more to this day about what things looked like underwater than above.

In 1986 I took my son to Hawaii for a vacation and taught him to snorkel. He was a natural and progressed to diving while stationed in Florida for a few years in the '90s.

I taught my wife to snorkel during the same time period while in the Caribbean on various vacations.

In 2002 at 50 years old, we were meeting my son in Hawaii and went a week early to do a full PADI course and then dive the second week with my son and his wife. Strangely enough, I was now 'grasshopper' learning from my son.

My wife and I have now accumulated over 100 dives both in the tropics and up here in Maine.

On our most recent trip to Utila, again with my son and his wife, Mike and I got to do some dives as buddies with the girls taking the afternoon off. Cruising a coral reef with my son was one of the most thrilling things I've ever done!

i joined because i wasn't enjoying any of the other sports i was playing at the time due to my competitive nature...

to be honest, when i first signed up i was just in the class to say that i got my certification. however, once i was down by the lake and just swimming around looking at animals and just floating around... it was one of the most amazing and peaceful experiences i've had in a long time.

Maybe other women are different... but snotty nosed men in neoprene suits just don't do it for me...

To the contrary -- There are few things more masculinely attractive than a tall, fit man in black trilaminate . . . :)

As a general rule, if there is water nearby, I want to be in it. I had gone snorkling several times, and loved it. Decided to give it a try, so I took the class. Decided to do my checkouts in Key Largo rather than the local quarry and became addicted. I think the draw to me is being able to see things that few others get to see.

To the contrary -- There are few things more masculinely attractive than a tall, fit man in black trilaminate . . . :)

I agree, since becoming a diver, I'm only attracted to men who are divers. If they don't dive, I have zero interest. :no:

How about an average height, pudgy man in black thermoprene? :lotsalove:

My father passed when I was six. In my late teens as I was cleaning out some old boxes, I came across his c-card and some old pics of him in full gear, with his buddies, about to roll off a dingy. Mom said he was certified in Catalina back in the 60's. I thought it was cool and decided one day I'd give it a try. Well, I love it and thinking of him having had the same experiences is the best.

Back
Top Bottom