Why did you become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a kid I was fascinated by the Jacques Cousteau specials on TV (along with a health dose of Sea Hunt) but didn't really consider becoming a diver until my wife and I honeymooned in Tobago and I snorkeled the Buccoo Reef.

Of course we, like most newly married couples, were flat broke so scuba was an unattainable luxury. Over time our finances improved and my wife had to become more & more creative in thinking up gifts so a couple of years ago I got my OW course bought for me as a Fathers' Day present - it took me almost a year to get around to scheduling the course.

From the moment I took my first breath underwater in the pool I was smitten. My only complaint now is that I don't have enough time to dive as much as I'd like.

10 years ago i was sitting in the coffee shop of a golf course in Riyadh ( 2000 ft above sea level in the middle of a desert) chatting with friends. One of the guys was a former Canadian Navy diver who had dived in the Gulf. I made some comment that it might be fun to dive but I had never had the oportunity. One of the others turned out to be a PADI AI and promptly intimated that they had a course starting next week and I was now on it. I did my pool work ans academics in Riyadh and then went to Jeddah on the Red Sea for my open water sessions. I remeber being rather worried that I would not like the experience. We descended onto a beautiful coral reef, there were exotic fish everywhere and I was immediately hooked. 10 years and 700 dives later I still love the sport (although I have discoverd deep wrecks I still love a gentle bimble on a shallow reef)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom