Why did you become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bro was a marine biologist. I was 8 and he was diving down in the keys, pretty sure that's when the sea hunt fantasies started. Since then I've never seen a body of water without wondering what was going on beneath the surface, cert was just a matter of a convenient opportunity, which came a scant 21 years later, lol.

From and earlier post:

When I was a boy, way back when, one of my favorite TV shows was SEA HUNT, starring Loyd Bridges as Mike Nelson. In 1962, at the age of eight, I collected trading stamps (anybody remember those?) to get my first set of snorkeling gear and taught myself how to snorkel. Three years later (1965), a friend of my parents (Harold) learned of my fascination with diving and, during one of our visits to his home, he took me out to his garage and showed me a couple of Aqualung double hose rigs that he'd had for a few years. He had been a Navy Frogman in the 1950s and had brought the rigs home with him. I drooled over the rigs and fingered the two hose regulators (DA Aquamaster). He asked me if I wanted to buy one but I didn't have any money. Then he offered to give me the rig if I would cut and trim the grass on his property for the summer.

Every Saturday, I would spend the day working, then go into the garage to look at the Aqualung rig. Then, two weeks before our agreed upon time was up, the rig disappeared from the garage. I asked Harold where it was and he wouldn't tell me. He just told me not to worry about it.

Two weeks later, I finished cutting and trimming his property and went in to close the deal. There, in his kitchen, was the rig. The tank had been hydro tested and painted. The regulator had been serviced and looked like new. Over in a corner was the other rig. It, too had been refurbished. Although we had not discussed it previously, Harold was including SCUBA instruction in our deal.

Over the winter, we went over the "head work" of diving. I learned the science of SCUBA, how to read the Navy dive tables, safety procedures, etc. In the spring, we went out to the river and I began to learn the skills I would need to dive safely: Emergency ascents, buddy breathing, how to clear the mouthpiece of a two hose regulator, calculating air consumption and timing my dives (we had no SPGs), using the J-valve on my tank, etc.

Harold was not a diving instructor, nor was he certified himself. He taught me what he had learned in the Navy and we filled our tanks (or "Lungs" as he called them) from his compressor. I dove with him and, occasionally, a couple of his buddies for the next eleven years. Then, in 1976, Harold suffered a heart attack and died suddenly. Before I had an opportunity to speak to his widow about his equipment, she disposed of it. Without that compressor, I could not fill my tank.

In 1978 (correction: 1977), I learned of a new dive shop that was opening in my town and went right in to sign up for the certification course. I told the shop owner of my experience and, instead of the usual three week course, he just had me take the written test, then had me go out with his next class to have me demonstrate my skills. After a weekend of diving, he gave me my C-card. It was a Basic Scuba Diver card but, in those days, it meant more than it does now.

I decided to upgrade to OW in 1992 and now I'm thinking about going for AOW.

Last edited:
I started because...

When I was 6 I had a playmobil dressed in scuba gear, and was pretty neat!!! :dork2:

When I was 10 I saw scuba watches and I want an excuse to wear one of them :D

But really, and it may sound cheesy, but my main reason to become a diver was Jacques Cousteau, I watched his programs and read his books, and fell in love of the sea; despite that I always been fascinating by animals, and is not the same to watch them in aquariums than watch them in the sea.

I've always wondered what it was like to dive when I saw it in movies or TV when i was little, when i grew up, my sister had a boyfriend (now her husband) that used to dive and convinced my sister to get certified. She loved it and dove whenever she could. She's the one responsible that i dive today, since she paid my certification course. (sadly, she doesn't dive anymore because of all her different occupations, but Hey! I got to "inherit" her equipment :D)

Did anyone mention the advantage of approaching a nude beach from the water?:)

She Who Must Be Obeyed came home from a vacation trip to St. John and told me I was going to learn to dive. The couple she went with are longtime friends of ours and longtime divers too. They had taken her away and put her in a resort course. She did her OW cert all on that one vacation trip.

I almost quit my OW class on the first night at the pool because I hated the wetsuit and buoyancy control issues. Fortunately I got through it. Not long after we took our Carib vacation together, with the same couple of friends, and that did it. I was hooked. That was just last year. This season I've been going quarry diving at Dutch Springs to get my fix. Soon enough I'll get to go warm water diving again.

It probably helped that I've always loved aquariums and fish of all kinds. Also I blame National Geographic.

Always wanted to dive and now at 30 with all my priorities in place not to mention stability I've decided to finally take up scuba.

Grew up swimming at my town pool. I always resented having to come up for air. It's really the reason I was attracted to scuba. I just want to be under the water. It's a fantastic feeling. I feel like I'm flying and everything is perfect when water is surrounding me.

The second reason is the fun of being close to marine life. It's as exciting to me as visiting other planets, the exploration, the nature.

My interest in diving came from my love of photography. For years I had debated taking classes but just never did. Then by chance, I took a job at a company where one of the owners also owns the dive shop that is in the same building. As a "congrats you quit smoking" present, I got scuba diving lessons. I am now certified and can take pictures everywhere. Talk about one happy girl. :D

It's as exciting to me as visiting other planets, the exploration, the nature.

What other planets have you visited? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom