Why did you become a diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always found sea creatures (and also shipwrecks) interesting and had the option to do two scuba dives on a trip to Egypt. I tried it out and loved it but never figured local diving was an option. One day in Feb last year I happened to be walking past a scuba store and decided to sign up for an OW course on a whim with the intention of going away to dive warm water now and again. OW was terrible for me as I was hopeless at diving at the start but I was blown away by the sites I saw on my OW class so kept at it. 15 months and 200+ dives later I would say I am pretty hooked :) But I have not yet dived somewhere warm, which was the original plan :rofl3:

I used to snorkel as a kid and watch a lot of the Cousteau-type shows on PBS, but as an adult it never occurred to me until I was way overdue for a vacation and needed something adventurous to do in my spare time. Scuba diving didn't require extreme levels of physical conditioning like e.g. mountain climbing or whatever.

So, last December I decided to take a trip to Key Largo and do my Open Water. As soon as I was swimming around in the pool with the gear on, I knew I would love it. On my first OW dive, a large barracuda circled us a couple of times as soon as we started to descend. My instructor thought I might be frightened and kept asking if I was OK, but I was more than OK, I was hooked. I was back in Florida in March doing my Advanced and Nitrox certs, and since then have gotten into local diving.

Although I do really enjoy the wildlife, which, as H2Andy said, doesn't just run away immediately, I am more interested in getting into wreck diving. I've always had a bit of an interest in archaeology, and you don't have to be a pro to see sites in their natural location. It's like being an astronaut, except that there's life and history down there. (And a lot cheaper than those 5-minute Virgin Galactic rides are gonna be ;-)

I'm really looking forward to all of the exploration and personal challenge this sport has to offer and I'd like to go as far as I can in terms of training and skills. I see this sport as an opportunity for personal growth. 40 degree water builds character! I want to see the Andrea Dorea and dive with the Humboldt squid some day. I also daydream about escaping Chicago and moving to Florida and owning a shop and a dive boat some day. Now how to finance all of this might be the question!?!? :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
To pick up women.

Maybe other women are different... but snotty nosed men in neoprene suits just don't do it for me... :wink:

We've snorkeled in the Bahamas a few times and loved it, and last year when we went we took a discover scuba class too and it was one of the most amazing things I have ever done in my life. The reef we were on was close to land and in very poor shape but the life on it was so varied and beautiful I just couldn't get over it. My 11 year old son (also referred to as Mr. Negativity sometimes) was also beside himself and couldn't stop smiling on the way back in. All he could say was that he really had fun and wanted to do it again. When junior enjoys something we tend to try to do it as a group anyway so scuba classes seemed like a logical step for us. It has taken almost a year to get in them after we decided to do it but we're finally doing it. We have our second pool night tonight and our last check out dive Sunday. Hopefully there will be 3 more OW divers certified Monday evening.

To pick up women.

I think I know you. :D

I've told my story before too. I learned to dive because my uncle was a marine biologist and he forced it on me so I could be his buddy. (ok, I was a waterbaby too so it didn't take much prompting... :))

R..

A lot of good stories in here. With a little more detail they might make a good book. I've never told mine, but here goes.

I suppose being from San Diego had something to do with it. Or maybe because of Jaques Cousteau. Or maybe my dad who was certified by Naui in the early 70's.

I'm a defense contractor by trade. While I was on a job in Italy, I had the opportunity to get certified, but then started working overtime and lost it. Long story short, the contract ended in spring but I decided to stay in Italy. I was running out of money but contacted the instructor and made a deal. I got certified in March 2004. Made good friends with a divemaster candidate too. Took my last 200 euro went and bought a Cressi mask, fins and snorkel with scubapro booties. Rented the rest and made two more dives at Calafuria and was broke.

I spent the summer working on the American Beach at Camp Darby; one of the coolest jobs I've ever had and the worst paying. The day it closed, I got a call from my old company and went to Korea This was Sept. 2004. Made my first dive here in December the same year and got one hell of an ear infection. My buddy happened to know a former PADI Course Director by the name of Yeong Cheon Kang (Doc to me) who had crossed over to SSI. He is also a doctor who specializes in ear nose and throat. He speaks fluent english (even slang) and he's on my web site.

It took a while but he healed me up. I started diving with him and have become good friends. He asked me about getting my advanced Open Water but I wasn't interested at the time. I just wanted to dive and didn't see the need. Then my buddy Brian went for his so I did it with him after I had 24 dives.

Once again, work got in the way in the summer of 2005 and I only made two dives that season. Started again after the overtime in Sept the same year. Diving every weekend. Went on vacation to Italy and found out my former instructor had lost her contract through MWR at camp Darby. IDEA!!!!:eyebrow:

Got back to Korea and told Doc what I wanted to do. Worked my ass off but turned pro in January 2006. Found out entry level wouldn't get me the contract so I pressed on with my buddy Frank. We both became SSI Instructors in December 2006.

I haven't made it back to Italy. Getting to this level cost me a lot of money and it doesn't pay well. But I really enjoy teaching others to dive. I long for the day when I can do it full time. Until then, I have to do it one C-Card at a time and keep working toward my tec XR certification.

That's it in a nutshell. There are a lot of side stories to it, but not enough room. Maybe I'll write a book myself.:D

Last edited:
To pick up women.

Good reason ... they weigh a lot less underwater ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I had no interest in diving until 2006. While on a three week vacation in Australia and New Zealand I did a Discover Scuba dive at the GBR at the urging of a colleague who heard I was headed down under. I never snorkeled before but was always comfortable in water so was HOOKED instantly. I fell hard and fast in love in scuba diving and it has not let up. The more environments I dive the deeper the love grows.

I got certified in 2007. Diving is my passion and it makes life worth living.

I thought that I had a pretty cool story but there are a lot of cool stories here. Thanks to all for sharing.

Keep them coming.

Every dive story IS a cool story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom