Why can't people (me) just make up their mind, already.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want hose-less AI....I will stick with my suggestion of a DataMask. I wear glasses, they are required for me to drive. I can see the display without a problem. I like my DataMask just fine.

There, do you feel better now? Now I have opened myself to all kinds of comments about my personal choice which in some threads is like blood letting in shark infested water.:rofl3::rofl3:

Good luck in finding the right one. I have found what I wanted.:D

I'll stand by you and defend your right to choose (even if I don't prefer the Datamastk :) )

@Jax: 300bar is referring to the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.
As discussed earlier in this thread, this particular computer has very large numbers on the display.

Thanks!

Perhaps a diver with presbyopia would be best served with a conservative dive computer.

What, you think us old[er] farts need to be more conservative?!?!?! Oh, He** NO! :rofl3:

Just don't go Suunto . . . too conservative . . .

I've already alienated my LDS by telling them I'm not buying a Suunto (their preferred PDC) but they also sell Scubapro ... all at list prices. :shocked2: I've actually been "cheating" on my LDS lately and visiting another LDS that carries Scubapro (Uwatec), Oceanic, and Atomic Aquatic. These guys actually have them in stock. My LDS only has the Suunto. :( Actually, I may be switching my preferred LDS because these other guys have multiple retail locations and sell online and are authorized dealer so ... better selection, better convenience, lower prices = :idk: what's to lose?

Dude - gauge reader lenses - $119, and are considered sports glasses for insurance. Get something stronger than the readers you use now.

Or even less. You can get reading lenses designed to be glued into sunglasses at WalMart for about $13. They work just as well (or just as badly, depending on your views...) with dive masks. That is what my Dad uses.

hoopa, the VT4 was on my original list but fell off because I wanted the larger display (pre corrective lens discussion.) It's still a little pricey compared to the PP2.1.

I wish there was a LDS around here that rented computers so I could try out using a wrist computer to see if I actually like it or not. (see other thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/387753-wrist-console.html)

I'll loan you one . . . just saying! :dance:

Thank you to everyone that posted their opinion or thoughts on the subject. In addition to being really entertaining it actually did help me think through the options and their relative benefits.

I've reconsidered my position on corrective lenses and will look into getting these on my current or new mask. I know I'm not getting any younger, so I can assume my vision will probably get worse over time. I may was well get used to the idea of the lenses. I already wear bifocals, why should I be so adamant against mask lenses. :idk:

The Luna is a superior computer (in my opinion) but is too large, expensive, and the graphics don't appeal to me.

The Cobalt is a pleasure to look at and from what I understand a snap to maneuver through the menus. This is the one my heart wants, but not the one my wallet wants. At least, not right now. They have some bugs to work out.

The VT4 is a nice PDC, great size, AI, dual algorithms, multi-gas, but a little expensive and I'm sure Sweetie won't like it. I still want us to have the same PDC for now.

So, by default and popular acclamation (from Sweetie) the winner is the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. I like the features, it's not the first generation like the Cobalt, the graphics are smooth (but not color) and very large, and it's AI. For a little bit more than the price of one of the computers listed above, I can get two PP2.1 computers.

Long term, we'll dive with the PP2.1 for a while. If/when I decide to go more technical or deeper (multi-gas) I can use my corrective lens mask to select the appropriate PDC at that time. Maybe by then the Uwatec will be a little smaller and in color. I know they have the beta of the trimix out there already, it could be a rock solid, trimix, OLED piece of sweet candy by the time I'm ready to buy again.

:happywave: Thanks, Y'all.

Let us know how that chocolate works out for you! :wink:

I think the corrective lenses are the way to go too.

If you don't want a conservative computer using fake RGBM, you don't want a Cobalt.

Thank you to everyone that posted their opinion or thoughts on the subject. In addition to being really entertaining it actually did help me think through the options and their relative benefits.

I've reconsidered my position on corrective lenses and will look into getting these on my current or new mask. I know I'm not getting any younger, so I can assume my vision will probably get worse over time. I may was well get used to the idea of the lenses. I already wear bifocals, why should I be so adamant against mask lenses. :idk:

The Luna is a superior computer (in my opinion) but is too large, expensive, and the graphics don't appeal to me.

The Cobalt is a pleasure to look at and from what I understand a snap to maneuver through the menus. This is the one my heart wants, but not the one my wallet wants. At least, not right now. They have some bugs to work out.

The VT4 is a nice PDC, great size, AI, dual algorithms, multi-gas, but a little expensive and I'm sure Sweetie won't like it. I still want us to have the same PDC for now.

So, by default and popular acclamation (from Sweetie) the winner is the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. I like the features, it's not the first generation like the Cobalt, the graphics are smooth (but not color) and very large, and it's AI. For a little bit more than the price of one of the computers listed above, I can get two PP2.1 computers.

Long term, we'll dive with the PP2.1 for a while. If/when I decide to go more technical or deeper (multi-gas) I can use my corrective lens mask to select the appropriate PDC at that time. Maybe by then the Uwatec will be a little smaller and in color. I know they have the beta of the trimix out there already, it could be a rock solid, trimix, OLED piece of sweet candy by the time I'm ready to buy again.

:happywave: Thanks, Y'all.

What? Your not going to buy a DataMask????? I can't believe you don't think it's the perfect PDC. :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

(Just kidding, hope you enjoy your new dive computers.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom