Why can't people (me) just make up their mind, already.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmoore19, you crack me up. :laughing:

I am sorry to inform you that the Datamask was never on the list of viable options. Sorry. But I admire your tenacious support of a product you clearly enjoy. :)

instagator.. i got it... Im going to say and and your going to say-- brilliant... lol.. Well not really but this might work for you.. Get the pp2.1 for the mrs... Then you get a vt4 for you.. Youll both be on the same algorithms-- so your dive times will be the same... Pick up a 2nd transmitter and put it on the mrs first stage... This way you can check in on her air supplies and levels without having to even let her know your looking... She has the console she likes-- you have the bigger wrist computer with wireless AI which you like-- you can check on her air and keep a eye on her(like a good bf/hubby does)-- youll get the dual algorithm--- as they say in the Guinness commercials--- Brilliant!!! lol..

Last edited:
Another thought --- You NEED to talk to Mike @ Dive right IN scuba... That guy is the best.. I have read in other threads he sent a guy a dive pack to try out to see if he liked-- the guy did like it and ended up buying one... Maybe mike can rent you a few of the computers your wanting to try--- or something.. Maybe he cant-- i dont want to speak for him-- but i will say-- he is the place ill go to purchase dive gear from in the future... After dealing with him i dont even want to go back to my dive shop... Every shop should run the way he runs that shop--- good guy-- good advice(even if its against what he sells)-- fair prices and i get a real sense he will be there should there be any problems..

instagator.. i got it... Im going to say and and your going to say-- brilliant... lol.. Well not really but this might work for you.. Get the pp2.1 for the mrs... Then you get a vt4 for you.. Youll both be on the same algorithms-- so your dive times will be the same... Pick up a 2nd transmitter and put it on the mrs first stage... This way you can check in on her air supplies and levels without having to even let her know your looking... She has the console she likes-- you have the bigger wrist computer with wireless AI which you like-- you can check on her air and keep a eye on her(like a good bf/hubby does)-- youll get the dual algorithm--- as they say in the Guinness commercials--- Brilliant!!! lol..

OMG, that's Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

:rofl3: Actually you've taken my scenario and eliminated the interim PP2.1 for me and jumped straight to the VT4. Problem is (1) I'm not sure I'm ready to change from console (20 year comfort zone) to wrist just for my typical rec dives; (2) The VT4 is roughly twice the price of the PP2.1, and even more if I put a transmitter on Sweetie.

But you're a thinker and I like that.

Edit: Here's a thought. If/when I decide I need the function and/or format of the VT4 I could put a shorter hose on the PP2.1 and clip it to my left waist D-ring and have a full complete back up rather than going back to the old glass/brass SPG. Wow, I'm impressing myself :rofl3: That is Brilliant!

Well your talking to a guy that hates hoses and lines coming off of me.. I have one hose-- yes-- one... Regulator(and even that im thinking about putting a swivel on it and a short hose). Im using a wireless AI vytec right now so no wires or hoses there and i use a intetrated back up regulater bc inflator... lol So a console would be blasphemy to me lol.. you know what they say-- once you go wirless AI-- you never go back :rofl3:

I own (4) PP2's and have been diving them for about 10 yrs now, overall I'd recommend them for a recreational diver, here are a few most notable flaws:

Battery screws are VERY tiny, soft brass, all too easy to strip the heads such that the screws can't be removed, so be very careful!
Can only store 25 dives, not even enough to cover a typical 27 dives on a week long liveaboard. (the newer ones have more memory but still nothing to write home about.)
Nitrox setting will automatically default to 'air' (EAN 21) whenever the unit powers down, rather annoying !
Unit hasn't really progressed much in many years now, so while it's proven, it's also technologically stagnant, and the price hasn't dropped to reflect it's aging / limited technology.

The PP2's are very easy to read/understand/program though, and they're said to be 'liberal' (in marked contrast to the dreaded snorkeling-only computer=Suunto) which means you're not needlessly cheated out of potentially expensive bottom time, so if you're within a certain budget, I can understand that, I just feel the COBALT represents the next significant step forward, and I'll soon find out how they do in the real world as 7/16-23 I'm testing out my pair of COBALTS in Belize (Sun Dancer). :)

Thanks for the input scubafanatic. Real world experience is always appreciated. If I understand the manual properly, it seems the PP2.1 defaults to a PO2 of 1.6. That and the Haldanean DSAT algorithm make it pretty aggressive. But the PO2 can be reset to a low number, ie. 1.4, and he alarm activates at .2 lower than the max setting. Seems there are plenty of ways to dial it back for conservancy. The local Oceanic LDS will do a battery/o-ring replacement and pressure check for $30.00. As I understand it the batery/o-ring cost $17.00. As they put it, if they do the change and check for $30.00 and it floods, breaks, whatever, it's on them to replace the unit. Sounds like cheap insurance. I understand this unit is not perfect. I've yet to read a review of any equipment that doesn't have it drawbacks and/or detractors. My hope is to use this for a while and then move to the VT4 as described above. Or, perhaps, by then there will be a really cool OLED AI computer calling my name :D

BTW, doesn't the Cobalt use a recreational RGBM like the Suunto? I guess nothing's perfect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom