Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So just to be clear, your notion that air shares are just as easy in OW with a 36-40" hose vs. a long hose is based on absolutely no experience with one of the two set ups?

Gotcha.

Your sarcasm just displays that you have missed the point and I never have made any such comparison. I simply stated that air sharing with standard length hoses and octos is not unsafe nor very hard to manage, but thanks for playing.

This is one reason I have not converted over to the longer hose, since I use the seacure on my primary, and the secondary has the stock mouthpiece.

Ron, cut the wings way back and let everyone of your students try it and see if they can breathe off it on the surface prior to a dive. Then please report back and let us know if anyone has an issue with the Sea Cure. I really would like to know since I use one myself.

I have not found another mouthpiece that provides the comfort of a Sea Cure. Plus they are super easy to pop in ones mouth compared to most other mouthpieces. My ex made me put a Sea Cure on her bungee backup because she had a harder time getting the Apeks mouthpiece into her mouth.

Will [a long hose] allow for a safer air sharing event is open water? Nope.

Hmm, since the long hose facilitates swimming between two divers (no worries, you probably don't get this yet since you haven't tried both), it WILL allow for safer air sharing events in OW where swimming is called for. I've listed many such examples in my previous post.

Thanks for playing, though.

I hate to step into the fray, but I'm with Rainer on this one:

Saying "air sharing with standard length hoses and octos is not unsafe nor very hard to manage" is not the same as saying "Will [a long hose] allow for a safer air sharing event is open water? Nope."

The reason some of us use long hose setups in OW is explicitly because we believe it does allow for safer air sharing in open water, even in a "direct ascent to the surface" scenario.

Having spent the last weekend doing little but air share ascent drills, I'm even more of a fan of the long hose setup than I was before (if that's even possible). :D

When used as per OW training, the short hose is perfectly functional and not difficult to use at all.

The trained response to OW OOA incident calls for "sharing air to the surface", not swimming to some other location, continuing the dive or anything else. The OOA diver accepts the donated reg, everybody re-gathers their composure, verifies the OOA diver is OK, both divers grab each other's BC with the right hand, stay close and do a nice slow ascent to the surface while facing each other.

If an air-sharing event requires traveling any distance, a long hose is much nicer, however this is not what's covered in OW.

FWIW, I'd prefer teaching everybody to use bungied backup and long hose in OW, however my opinion won't change the OW curriculum, so at least for now, it is what it is.

Terry

I don't see any curriculum issues. At least with PADI.

Excepted from CW dive 2 and 3 standards:

In shallow water, breathe underwater for at least 30 seconds from an alternate air
source supplied by another diver.

5. Respond to air depletion by signaling out of air, then securing and breathing
from an alternate air source supplied by a buddy for at least one minute while
swimming underwater.
6. Share air with another diver using an alternate air source, acting as a donor.

I see no mention of equipment configuration or which reg to donate. Teaching long hose/necklace is not a violation of PADI standards.

Well, I've seen it. Small woman diver doing s-drills with new buddy. He donates his reg with a Seacure mouthpiece and she starts gagging and aspirating water.

Curious whether his Sea Cure was cut back or full length? Do you remember? I would almost choke on a full length one.

I see no mention of equipment configuration or which reg to donate. Teaching long hose/necklace is not a violation of PADI standards.

Except the darn snorkel that gets in the way! Now a snorkel in the pocket or attached somewhere other than the mask would be OK.

I can not remember the last time kelp bumped my reg enough for me to notice, but then again I have been using a long hose since about dive 35. I do remember my reg getting bumped fairly often prior to switching to a long hose.
I just love diving in the kelp and have no issues, you are the one that brought up kelp as being a problem.

Dave, try something new for yourself and go the long hose way :D Forget all the stigma you hear and read about it, and experience it for yourself. What can it hurt? The cost is minor in the scope of what we spend on dive gear.
I might but since I have zero issues diving with my current configuration it's just not at the top of my list yet.:wink:

No offense meant, but if you haven't tried something, how do you feel qualified to discuss it?
No offense taken what so ever. I'm not discussing the merits or issues with the long hose, I've only commented on the standard configuration and it's ease of use. Other's have made the case for the long hose and I have no issue with them doing so. I just object to the putting down one system (and the users of such) to promote the other.

Also if someone points out a flaw with a system is that wrong? For instance I have seen many octo's being dragging through the sand and over rocks (along with consoles). I consider that harmful to the reef and hard on gear. That to me is a flaw in the equipment operation, and could cause the equipment to fail when needed due to sand keeping the exhaust valve open. Am I wrong for stating what I have seen many times?
Poorly trained divers will not suddenly become well trained divers just because they buy new gear.

Could standards violation come into play during the teaching of regulator recovery?

Ron, cut the wings way back and let everyone of your students try it and see if they can breathe off it on the surface prior to a dive. Then please report back and let us know if anyone has an issue with the Sea Cure. I really would like to know since I use one myself.

I have not found another mouthpiece that provides the comfort of a Sea Cure. Plus they are super easy to pop in ones mouth compared to most other mouthpieces. My ex made me put a Sea Cure on her bungee backup because she had a harder time getting the Apeks mouthpiece into her mouth.
since the reason for installing the seacure was to reduce jaw fatigue on multi dive vacations. wouldn't cutting the wings back off of the back teeth defeat the purpose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom