Why are they so expensive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro:
:confused: Hummmmm, I experiencing that very phenomena from some of my old OC buddies. :shakehead

ive heard of this..... i must say, so far the interest down here is the opposite. in fact, im wondering if they will dive with us noisy oc'ers

cheers

LOL I have no problem diving with OC'ers, most of the time I seem to be the only CCR diver in the group and it doesn't bother me.

Lately I've heard that some of my old OC dive buddies have been making comments behind my back about how stupid I was to buy a rebreather and others that have the missconception that OC and CCR can't dive together. :confused:

To tell you the truth it was kind of a shock to hear this stuff coming from guys I thought were my friends. I never really thought of it before until Mr.X mentioned the reaction he as seen from some men. Now it's all making sence.

Padipro:
Lately I've heard that some of my old OC dive buddies have been making comments behind my back about how stupid I was to buy a rebreather ......

i think its the age old thing of be afraid of what you dont understand

yes, for hubbys diving a MEG might be overkill but if it makes him happy, keeps him enjoying his diving and opens a new world of study/fun for him whose business is it

ive heard on rebreather world some guy saying people wont dive with him anymore..... hence why im looking into breather rescue stuff now as for me thats something i can educate myself on for when i and diving with a CCR diver (which reminds me, i have to print off/read those links today, ive been so busy lately)

Whale Whisperer:
What's the deal here? One person I asked said the reason why their so much is because "they can charge anything they want" and I believe him lol.
So, how much should a rebreather cost? This isn't a rhetorical question - it's the first step to taking advantage of a business opportunity. If you really believe that all the rebreather manufacturers are grossly overcharging for their products, you would be doing the world a good turn (and making yourself some good money) by developing a competitive product and selling it for less money. Go for it.

YDKWTFYATA.

reefraff:
So, how much should a rebreather cost? This isn't a rhetorical question - it's the first step to taking advantage of a business opportunity. If you really believe that all the rebreather manufacturers are grossly overcharging for their products, you would be doing the world a good turn (and making yourself some good money) by developing a competitive product and selling it for less money. Go for it.

YDKWTFYATA.

I really don't know the breakdown of the cost of the whole picture of design, engineering, parts, assembly, writting out Standard Operating Proceedures, so far and so fourth. If you read my original post, I asked the question WHY the price of a rebreather was high out of genuine curiosity, nothing more. I only have a basic understanding of rebreathers, and can only speculate how much one would cost to manufacture and sell. I fell flat on my face on this post, but I did learn a good deal.

I've learned alot from this post. Thanks for all the great responses everyone!

Whale Whisperer:
I didn't think about suppy and demand... I guess in theory if there was a sudden popularity for these devices then demand would rise and prices just might come down. Hmmmm

Liability insurance? If that were true wouldn't regulator prices be almost triple then they are now along with every other piece of equipment out there?

We've seen a lot more rebreather manufacturers enter the market,with the price actually going up (probably the dollar vs the euro),but with increased supply we haven't seen a shift in price. A friend who works in the industry and his company sells rebreathers has told a certain percent is warranty and another percent is liability.

karstdvr:
We've seen a lot more rebreather manufacturers enter the market,with the price actually going up (probably the dollar vs the euro),but with increased supply we haven't seen a shift in price.

While the number of units manufactured may be going up you have to look at how many that actually is. ISC, the manufacture of the Megalodon has been in business since 1997 and manufactured something like 600 units. That's 60 some per year, not a significant number when compaired with the number of sets of open circuit scuba equipment manufactures make and sell each year. An increase of 10% over last year isn't much of an increase.

A 10% increase is pretty good seeing that they sell in the $9-10,000 neighborhood. :wink:

Actually, sales have been increasing lately quite a bit (for some manufacturers, anyway).
The 300th Meg was made in March 05, so half the production sold within the last 2+ years.
Add to that the Optima which has been selling since sometime late in 2005 and the Sport Kiss (IIRC they started selling late 2004/early 2005 - my 2006 unit is #142). Add to again lower volume models like the Classic Kiss, PRISM, Ouroboros and they add up to another 100+ units per year. Plus CCR juggernaut APD who probably sells as many as the rest of them together.

Why lower the price if people are willing to wait weeks if not months to get a unit? :linkz:

Back
Top Bottom