Info Why are tables not taught in OW classes anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we can get Scubapro to tell us how human factors (respiratory rate, heart rate, and skin temperature) are used to adjust their Buhlmann ZH-L8 or 16 ADT MB decompression algorithms

I get a kick out of you saying your attached story describes "what has happened to DCS issues" ... and doesn't even mention DCS at all. 😆

Maybe we can get Scubapro to tell us how human factors (respiratory rate, heart rate, and skin temperature) are used to adjust their Buhlmann ZH-L8 or 16 ADT MB decompression algorithms
Do they also adjust for sun intensity and lipid cholesterol?

Repeat post but: I learned tables (in 2003) - and used them for several years when my computer died (BTW- to address a point made earlier, I remembered how to use them quickly after going years without).

I dont think knowing how to use tables adds anything to a divers knowledge. Except, like people said, the ability to do basic math.

Is "OK boomer" an appropriate response here, or would that get me in trouble?

"Other than that, I have no idea what instructors should do differently."

There are over 80 different worldwide Agencies, Associations, Federations, and Clubs, most all sort of recognized that teach, or better said skimp on teaching DCS. You see DCS ruins the vibe of a 8 hour e Learning course. I get a real kick when so many say DCS is taught, when worldwide it barley makes 2 sentences in any e Learning class.

Incidents are on the rise, worldwide, but yet so many state that safety is better,...and provide no proof.

Every Major certifying agency devotes about 2 sentences in their certification e Learning , online course,...

The following attached, brief story is what has happened to DCS issues, it just ruins the vibe of the course,......
Holy ****! Talk about bait and switch and "cutting corners." The article you provided said nothing whatsoever about DCS, let alone DCS training or trends in DCS incidences. You obviously cut corners trying to find an article to prove your point.

It only uses the word accident once "Every year diving accidents take place,...". The only actual specific example of a problem was a second hand story about running out of fuel on a dive boat.

The attached is exactly what these agencies have done,....they are cutting corners.
Agencies weren't even mentioned in your article!

There are over 80 different worldwide Agencies, Associations, Federations, and Clubs, most all sort of recognized that teach, or better said skimp on teaching DCS. You see DCS ruins the vibe of a 8 hour e Learning course. I get a real kick when so many say DCS is taught, when worldwide it barley makes 2 sentences in any e Learning class.

Incidents are on the rise, worldwide, but yet so many state that safety is better,...and provide no proof.

Every Major certifying agency devotes about 2 sentences in their certification e Learning , online course,...
You really have NO idea what you are talking about. For example, the PADI eLearning "Quick Review" has 25 questions: two are specifically about DCS, and how to avoid it (including noting that the risk is higher if you are tired, cold, sick, thirsty, or overweight), four are specifically about using your computer (including what to do if you exceed the no-stop limits), and four are about using the RDP or eRDPml.

The eLearning itself has several pages on DCS, including one section specifically on "How Dive computers and Tables Work" and a section that says:
"Dive computers and dive tables do not directly read anything going on inside a diver’s body. They apply a mathematical decompression model that works for the vast majority of people most of the time. Decompression models are highly reliable, but they cannot account for individual variations in physiology, such as the secondary factors you learned in the last subsection.

Because people vary in their susceptibility to decompression sickness, no dive computer or dive table can guarantee that decompression sickness will never occur, even when you dive within its limits. You must accept that there is always some risk of DCS when you go diving.​

Although dive computers and tables cannot account for individual variation, as a diver you can help further reduce risk by always following conservative dive practices."​

Not taking your head off here Koko, :) and kudos to you for teaching tables. But this whole dependency is fostering a culture of increased risk taking right under everyone's nose.
Nope, didn't take it that way at all! :) I can appreciate pretty much everyone's input on things.

Back
Top Bottom