DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crofrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
Isn't this a DIR forum, not a GUE forum?

Can’t speak for anyone else, and maybe not what prompted the question, but I returned to diving after a 25 year hiatus. DIR/GUE were just a couple of the things that had changed. I did some snooping and asked some questions to see if it was something I might be interested in looking at more closely. Ultimately, I realized that while I might steal some ideas from that camp, I was really just a rec diver.

Erik

Just because I don't want to pursue training from a given source, doesn't mean I won't be interested in the how and why of their techniques and procedures.... I'm open minded enough to be willing to learn from any source, even if I don't want to adhere to all their methods.
Just my take on it.
Respectfully,
James

A few things come to mind:

1.) I try to acquire a decent, well-rounded grasp of recreational scuba diving. Not tech., no dive professional credentials, etc... So when an agency becomes known in the North America and Caribbean region by impact (real or potential on the hobby), I wonder what the 'buzz' is about.

2.) GUE Fundamentals has often been cited as an excellent self-improvement course for divers, as opposed to pursuing a path to become a dive master, instructor, the PADI Master Scuba Diver qualification, etc...

3.) We know GUE draws on DIR and considerable thought goes into how they do things, so the opportunity to learn from their wisdom may be there. Why not hear what they've got to say?

and then never perusing training with GUE.
If this part is a big piece of what you're curious about, okay, let's consider why not?

1.) People can learn an idea or two without paying for a course, plane tickets, etc...

2.) I'm a mediocre intermediate diver and historically slow to pick up motor skills. If GUE Fundies is taught to a high standard of performance, I'd need to find a bald instructor so he didn't pull his hair out dealing with me. I question whether I'd be up to the 'challenge' of really getting the benefit out of the course.

3.) My gear isn't GUE compliant and I don't plan to change it. Yes, I dive a BP/W setup. I had a dive shop guy assemble it for me; after watching that ordeal, I'm not willing to change anything (other than I took my crotch strap off, thinking I didn't need it, learned I was wrong and put it back; I also put on a 2nd tank strap). But if I understand correctly, my Hollis Elite 2 harness would not be compliant; GUE wants a single piece webbing setup. That may sound petty, but I'm not a 'handy' type, and I like my current harness.

4.) I'm retired and money is way tighter than it used to be (although time is much better).

So, someone of uncommon patience and compassion would have to be teaching at the local quarry and overlook my deluxe harness. Then I'd have to convince myself the benefits over my current diving ability would be worth the expenditure of family money. I'd be looking to improve my diving ability and ideally earn a rec. pass.

I find it interesting that people want to stifle conversation/analysis of their preferred agency. For example, under I2I, there is (or was?) a forum reserved for only active instructors for a specific agency.

I don't understand why people need safe spaces. I find it interesting that it happens at both ends of the quality spectrum.

Why wouldn't GUE want other divers to know about how they do things and what standards are used in the training? It's totally possible that someone who wasn't previously interested in GUE training sees the material and decides they want to go through of it.

And it's not like any of the information is secret or dangerous to know or use without GUE training. I mean, you should absolutely get good training to do dives and techniques described in there, in general, but it doesn't have to be with GUE.
Other than the class materials, which you only get when you sign up for a class, I'm pretty sure all GUE documents (standards, SOPs, manuals) and books are available to anyone. All of them might not be free but anyone can get them.

I think the problem is that we see statements about GUE (or DIR) made by divers who don't have first hand knowledge of it which are often incorrect, incomplete, misguided, etc. If anything, that would be solved if more people did access documents GUE published.

Couple years ago I was interested in GUE because I had thought it could teach me a few new tricks/ skills that would ultimately make me just that much more comfortable in the water.

That's it - in a nutshell - right there. Whatever comfort level you're at - GUE has the potential to make you just slightly more comfy. So does any scuba school, honestly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom