DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple years ago I was interested in GUE because I had thought it could teach me a few new tricks/ skills that would ultimately make me just that much more comfortable in the water.

That's it - in a nutshell - right there. Whatever comfort level you're at - GUE has the potential to make you just slightly more comfy. So does any scuba school, honestly.
Did you take fundies though? Fundies is hands down the best skills class I've ever taken. The 2nd best class was a con ed sidemount course, but the instructor was a cave diver and had been through the GUE program as well. It went waaaaaaay beyond the curriculum. I'd say most of the con ed courses I've taken, with exception to rescue from two different agencies, were a waste of money.

With GUE, there is a high return on investment, and non GUE instructors should shoot for that high return on investment if their agency permits them.

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does. How they set up the equipment, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.

So if you're not GUE trained and you're constantly trying to figure out what and why GUE does something, why?
Ten replies so far, and not one of them fits the description of whom you're directing the question to. :popcorn:

I interpreted your question not as asking why they were interested in GUE but rather why, after learning about GUE, did they not pursue training with GUE. AmIright?

It's pretty interesting to me to see many people being super interested in what GUE does and then never perusing training with GUE.

Because they're yellow.

yella.gif

j/k

I've already met some amazing divers, like dove the crystal caves of Abaco good, and they're interested in diving period, it's kind of their passion so they like hearing about things in the industry/community, sometimes just to challenge it. You might be new like me, but aren't you also subscribed to ISE, and although you may be unsure if TDI or UTD is real or a myth aren't you also curious what they're up to?

GUE also has a somewhat thorned history around leadership who is no longer with GUE, I think he might've been kicked out. Apparently George Irvine was known for ruffling feathers and being crass or brash or rude with his opinions. This is what I've gathered from hearsay and some old articles out there.

GUE also isn't cheap, the tech/cave classes are a big chunk of change, so that's also an obstacle for some.

I'd say it's not as easy to schedule a GUE class either because the instructors are often booked months out, and often only take 2 students at a time. It doesn't seem as easy as signing up for the typical 4-8 person class elsewhere. I had to reach out to a dozen instructors to find one that could work me into a fundies class within the next two months, and from those available one was in another country.

All that said, I can't wait for Tech 1, just after my Doubles Primer, and Drysuit Primer, and maybe Rec 2 or 3...

Ten replies so far, and not one of them fits the description of whom you're directing the question to. :popcorn:

I interpreted your question not as asking why they were interested in GUE but rather why, after learning about GUE, did they not pursue training with GUE. AmIright?
I’m going to have to reread my response, but I thought that was the question I answered. Maybe I didn’t Do It Right! (Sorry, couldn’t help myself)

GUE also isn't cheap, the tech/cave classes are a big chunk of change, so that's also a barrier.
I don't agree with this. Had I taken fundies right after OW and taken T1 later on, that would have been faaaaar less expensive than all the con ed courses I've taken with various agencies. I'd have been better off with getting T1 skills and going diving with other GUE divers.

, what the standards are, why gue does something, and then never perusing training with GUE.
From what I know, their training is excellent, their instructors are highly skilled and their equipment selection and configuration is meticulous. On the other hand, the training is expensive, I dive solo often and I know it would never be a good fit (for me). I MIGHT take a class if it were free, but I honestly doubt even that would entice me to seriously consider their training.

So in the past, I have spent a good bit of time trying to learn what they do, and pick and choose some of their stuff and apply it to my diving. I know they would say that is totally unacceptable and you have to adopt their entire system (and follow it) to realize the benefits of it.

Some of their basic ideas and principles are not that complicated and I have applied them. Simple things like a balanced rig, no metal to metal connections, no suicide clips, avoiding heavy double steel tanks with a wetsuit in the ocean etc.

I'm not so arrogant to say I know better than them, but I know enough about diving to recognize some good ideas that are applicable to my situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom