Why am I finding it hard to source Apeks manifold parts in uk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex Ouroboros

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I’m in the uk and trying to find (another) Apeks manifold as well as o ring service kit for one I already have, but as I trawl the uk websites I’m noticing a sort of shortage, it’s annoying as the Apeks valves are really good quality in my opinion, and I’d rather stay with what I have, I do know that Apeks was sold a few years ago to one of the “big brands” and I’ve heard stories of outsourcing and the like, but the valves haven’t ceased production have they?

Read this:

Read this:

Thanks for the enlightening link Boltsnap. 😜👍

Any company can go bankrupt, but it's very unlikely. Even if they do go bankrupt, some investing company will buy them and they'll continue production.

The Covid years were tough for any sports related company, especially for a niche sport like SCUBA diving.

Besides, Aqualung and Apeks don't really use exotic parts. They can be serviced even after the brands have gone the way of the dodo. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The service kits are just convenient sets of regularly available parts.

I had the same problem with the older, much more common Conshelf 14 regs. Ultimately the secondary market came to my rescue, but you’ll have to find a way to cross reference the o rings, etc you will need. Stick to it, if you are independent of the Aqua Lung supply chain you’ll be much better off.
🐸

Any company can go bankrupt, but it's very unlikely. Even if they do go bankrupt, some investing company will buy them and they'll continue production.

The Covid years were tough for any sports related company, especially for a niche sport like SCUBA diving.

Besides, Aqualung and Apeks don't really use exotic parts. They can be serviced even after the brands have gone the way of the dodo. I wouldn't worry too much about it. The service kits are just convenient sets of regularly available parts.

Dude,

If they are having such difficulty now, and they have been for many months now, how on earth is it going to be any better when they get deeper into manure? Why should anyone buy their equipment now and risk losing their investment later? There many other very high quality companies out there, it isn't just apeks. Apeks isn't anything special compared with stable and profitable very high quality companies such as Scubapro, Atomic, Zeagle, etc.

Dude,

If they are having such difficulty now, and they have been for many months now, how on earth is it going to be any better when they get deeper into manure? Why should anyone buy their equipment now and risk losing their investment later? There many other very high quality companies out there, it isn't just apeks. Apeks isn't anything special compared with stable and profitable very high quality companies such as Scubapro, Atomic, Zeagle, etc.
I think you're overexaggerating the situation. If you're that worried that your Aqualung or Apeks gear can't be serviced after the company goes out of business, and you're expecting the company to go out of business in the near future, just stay away from the brand.

Personally, like I mentioned, I believe replacement parts will be available even if the company goes belly up. Service kits are just sets of o-rings. There may be the odd membrane or valve that's brand specific, but most parts are pretty universal. The fact that Aqualung and Apeks service kits were identical even before the two companies merged together should tell you enough.

And I'm not knocking the quality of other companies either. There are plenty of high quality brands in the SCUBA world. XDeep, Scubapro, Mares, Atomic (overpriced, but high quality) are all excellent. But you can't see that far in the future. You may buy an XDeep regulator today, and have it recalled in two weeks, and not return to the market for years to come. If XDeep is on financially rocky grounds, something like that can ruin a company. It didn't when this happened to the NX700, but it could have.

Apeks and Aqualung make high quality SCUBA gear, with Aqualung geared more towards recreational diving, and Apeks geared more towards technical diving, and in my humble opinion their gear should last a lifetime when properly cared for. And o-rings are o-rings. They're not unique to any brand.

Agree with all inputs so far on this thread, the o ring servicing sides of things don’t worry me (I service everything myself now after becoming disillusioned with many “approved” in the industry) the Apeks manifold issue is annoying because if one of the metal parts is damaged or needs replacing it means get a full new manifold, which ironically is why I’m replacing a halcyon one (no spares) so i don’t want to go around in circles,

Many thanks to all replying,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom