Why a specialized luggage bag? What makes it so special?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have seen for sale luggage bags for scuba divers (like for air travel). I wonder why. Regular bags nowadays are just as lite and spacious. Most will be ok to handle anything wet. Seems like regular luggage will do well.

Why do people even buy these scuba travel luggage bags?

I used to travel with a very nice Akona bag. Now I use a Samsonite bag that I got at Ross for about $50. The Akona bag is actually heavy for its size. The exterior pockets for regs and what not are not good with the way that bags are handled today. When my wife and I travel to dive, we have four of the same size and color (blue) Samsonite suit cases. They are easy to see and hold the gear well. If packed right, I have never had a problem with breakage. and they actually hold more than the dive bag.

The other thing I like about it, is I am not advertising that I have a bag of very expensive gear for someone to walk off with. The way stuff is loaded into vans and taxis in places like Cancun or Roatan, its sometimes hard to keep track of your gear and I was always concerned about it disappearing.

One difference sometimes is not to have a metal zipper. metal zippers and salt water do not mix well. A good dive bag has a heavy duty nylon zipper, some cheap bags still use metal.

I also like the exterior pockets for my fins (which are beasts). But the zipper materials and cushioning are the best arguments. I have had stuff stolen from a cheap bag but not my dive bag (knock on wood). I certainly have no argument with the walmart specials but I've liked my sturdy dive bag. Take a look then do what you like best.

I agree, regular luggage works for me too! I stuff everything besides my wetsuit and spear into a samsonite carryon (bp/w, regs, lights, reels, smb, etc.) and strap my fins to the outside of it since they're too big. I guess I'm advertising what's inside from the fins, but that bag NEVER leaves my side... until it's time for those damned shuttle rides, then I watch it like a hawk! On the way home though, sometimes I'll just throw it all into a larger suitcase and check it.

I guess the nice thing about the "dive caddy" bag is that it folds open and I guess you're able to just open it up and send it through the x-ray machine at security... but given my personal appearance, I'd probably have to separate it all anyway (no joke, I've once been interrogated while the bomb squad went through my stuff... I've since learned it's just easier to separate everything. On my last trip, I sent 9 trays through the machine! You don't want to be behind me in the security line! haha).

Also, possibly scuba specific bags are less 'plush' on the inside (never had one, so I don't know). But the nice interior of my bag got beat up pretty quick.

I quit using a very nice dive bag because it weighs so much as checked luggage. I take a lot, and every pound counts...!

One difference sometimes is not to have a metal zipper. metal zippers and salt water do not mix well. A good dive bag has a heavy duty nylon zipper, some cheap bags still use metal.

I pack an XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffle bag inside of the standard luggage. It's great for packing your gear to the boat, and we usually end up taking the ferry from Coz to Playa so I can get a day or so in the caves there. It's nice having the mesh bag along and the wheels are great if you have to walk a long distance. It fits right up inside the bottom of the Samsonite bag. It's stiff bottom also helps to protect the more fragile items like lights, mask, reels, etc. The total weight of both bags are less than my Akona bag and the mesh bag is easier to deal with on boat dives.

I pack an XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffle bag inside of the standard luggage. It's great for packing your gear to the boat, and we usually end up taking the ferry from Coz to Playa so I can get a day or so in the caves there. It's nice having the mesh bag along and the wheels are great if you have to walk a long distance. It fits right up inside the bottom of the Samsonite bag. It's stiff bottom also helps to protect the more fragile items like lights, mask, reels, etc. The total weight of both bags are less than my Akona bag and the mesh bag is easier to deal with on boat dives.

We just acquired the BG-150 mesh bags to do the same thing, regular travel duffel to check-in and the mesh roller for boat, etc. Turns out we'll be able to pack all our dive gear and clothes, etc in just two bags. Makes travel easier. (of course regs/computer/camera are carry-on items)

IMG_5661-1.jpg

The big reasons:

:doctor:They are more expensive
:hm:They help support the LDS
:gorgeous:Chicks dig them

Baggage thieves will ignore dive flag bags because they know that dive gear is of no real value after you walk out of your LDS with it, it's hard to conceal in a baggage handler's jumpsuit, and here's the big one... Divers wear their jewelry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom