Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold off your renewal. Grow-up. DAN is a secondary insurance. DAN is a support source. This took place on a boat miles from shore with both a marine radio and a satelite phone. What was the boat crew doing while the postee was calling DAN. Is this boat operating off shore and does not know how to contact USCG. It has been pointed out that the USCG has a watch monitoring the marine radio. It has been pointed out that the USCG does not charge for services that are unique to them. Has anybody been on the water when a helicopter tries to rescue somebody? It is not something the evening news chopter attempts. I would imagine it is not something most stunt pilots would attempt. Call the USCG when on the water.
Hold off your renewal:confused: I have a good friend whose wife would not be here today if DAN had refuse service...... oh yeah they were not members at the time. It has been pointed out that DAN's own brochure says to expect delays when contact further help. Do you have the contact number for the Florida Keys USCG rescue station...That's the direct line. I do......us the marine radio. Who to call first is a great question. In my rescue they teach to evaluate and then call 911. We live in an area where cellphones can reach several counties, so we were taught to identify where we are calling from. After calling 911 it is recommended to contact DAN to keep them in the loop and activate the chamber is needed. I my case my buddies contacted DAN while I was stabilized in the ER and they put the doctor in touch with the nearest chamber doctor. It is confusing about using Travel Assist. We had assumed that meant once the doctors have determined it is not a stroke, heart attack ...etc. Once we contacted Travel Assist it did take time.... you want to arrange a medical helicopter ride half way cross country?
To blame all the damage done to the diver on a 40 minute delay is a stretch. I was taken off O2 for 2 hours and the chamber doc said it was not critical. What was the boat crew doing the whole time. Did the person stay online until DAN had reached the USCG? We do not know. What I remember at the time of my event and what was actually said are different at points. DAN is not likely to post on this board concerning a legal battle. Would you? DAN probably has recordings of what was actually said.
It was also pointed out that push comes to shove better to be in debt and alive than save a few pennies. All the people that we interacted with at DAN during my case where knowledgable, patient and understanding. I was lucky and have recovered fully. Until the postee gives the link with all the facts from both sides I am forced to side the DAN since I have had interactions with them.
You want to look up the people DAN helped during the Tsunami? Nah. You want to check out the whole story behind the "DAN won't cover you if you go to chamber" story? Nah. Just hold off on your renewal, especially before going on a dive trip. Oh yeah, don't check the story in Advanced Diver magazine by a diver who got the bends while on a trip.

It is a good question. Who do you call first? We beat it around here and came up with pretty much what has been said...... Call 911 or similar EMS. Call DAN to consult. Once stabilized contact Travel Assist for further transportation. Face it, EMS is alot closer that DAN. I had one buddy talking to DAN on one phone while another was calling EMS. What was the boat crew doing:confused: Don't they have an emergency action plan?

As one of the people who respond to these types of emergencies, I would like to point something out. On a satellite phone, dialing 911 does not go to the "local" dispatch center. On cell phones there may be similar issue as the nearest cell tower might be located across a Continental, State, County or City line. As an avid boater I have the local Coast Guard station's phone number listed as a contact on my cell phone. When I travel with my boat to a different area (down to the FL Keys during the summer) I update the USCG contact information on my cell phone.

Certainly calling on the Marine VHF (Channel 16) should also have a favorable response too, and a 406 EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) or PLB (Personal Locating Beacon) can be an option for those people who travel outside the range of cell phone towers or shore based Coast Guard station antennas.

I just mention this for consideration.

Blades Robinson

It seems pretty obvious that DANs insurance will cover emergency services as long as they are arranged through emergency services, whoever that may me. It seems obvious also that DAN will not cover emergency services that you provide yourself, for example directly chartering a private helicopter to come get you.

It seems that many of you need to read your brochures and call DAN about their insurance before you pay them money if you have any questions. They are not responsible for YOUR misperceptions. Keep in mind, DAN is an insurance, research, and medical advice organization. They do not provide medical services.

I can't believe nobody has said the "real" reason to call 911 first.(or the authority in whatever locale) The reason you are supposed to call 911 first, trauma related emergency, or barotrauma, is because if there are several chambers in the area, not all of them will be manned or "hot". 911 has this information, and will act accordingly, sending patients to the appropriate care facility.

diverDano:
I can't believe nobody has said the "real" reason to call 911 first.(or the authority in whatever locale) The reason you are supposed to call 911 first, trauma related emergency, or barotrauma, is because if there are several chambers in the area, not all of them will be manned or "hot". 911 has this information, and will act accordingly, sending patients to the appropriate care facility.
They will also have a shorter response times than going through an extra link in the chain, which can be the difference of life and death. Ive known people who have died because "911" (medical emergencies here is 113) wasnt the first number called and the medical help didnt get there in time..

from Dan's www site: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/contact/index.asp

Reach DAN by Phone:
  • Diving Emergencies (
    remindericon.gif
    Remember: Call local EMS first, then DAN!)

1-919-684-8111
    1-919-684-4DAN (collect)
    1-800-446-2671 (toll-free)
    +1-919-684-9111 (Latin America Hotline)
    International Emergency Hotlines
  • Travel Assistance for Non-Diving Emergencies
    1-800-DAN-EVAC (1-800-326-3822)
    If outside the USA, Canada, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, British or U.S. Virgin Islands, call +1-919-684-3483 (collect).
  • Non-Emergency Medical Questions
    1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)
  • All Other Inquiries
    1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948
so I think that is fairly clear.

yes...

the Travel Assist is a totally different progrtam, and that's the one you have to call DAN to arrange air travel or they won't cover

diving emergencies, you call the emergency repsonders first, then contact DAN.

(i hate to say it, but the confusion is DAN's fault. the section of the User's Handbook in question is not exactly clear)

How 9-1-1 works

Dialing 9-1-1 (or other emergency services numbers) causes a computer at the telephone switching company to look up the "real" number for the receiving PSAP (call center) that serves the area the call is made from and connects the call. In this way dialing the same number across a broad geographic area (say... all of the US and Canada) connects you to the correct local call center.

Common problems with 9-1-1

Dialing from a cell phone may relay your call to the call center serving the location of the cell tower receiving your call. This might not be the proper service center for the area of your emergency.

VOIP calls (Vonage, SKYPE, and such) do not interact with the telephone switching office until very near the receiving party's location. This bypassing of the caller's local swithicng office means VOIP calls currently unable to properly utilize 9-1-1 in most areas.

Calling in an emergency from outside the service area may be impossible by dialing 9-1-1. For example, an DAN operator in North Carolina cannot dial 9-1-1 to activate an emergency response for a diver in distress in Florida since dialing 9-1-1 from that location will connect them to their local emergency call center. The direct telephone number of the proper emergency response agency for the area where the emergency is happening is needed, and may be very difficult to find at a distance.

What can 9-1-1 do? What can't they do?

9-1-1 can activate local emergency services according to local protocols. Local protocols vary greatly.

9-1-1 can assist with contacting local resources and often has contacts with regional resources such as teh Coast Guard.

9-1-1 may not have available certain resources that the caller assumes might be available. Details of staffing of medical resources (say... which chamber operators is on call) may not be available to the 9-1-1 dispatcher, but instead be handled by the emergency medical response system of the hospital.

9-1-1 may not, for various reasons, have your exact location where help is needed. ALWAYS be prepared to give the location of the emergency. If on a boat at sea, headings and distances (8 miles out from Lucky's marina on a heading of 059) or better GPS coordinates! They can't send help if you can't give them at least some idea where to send it.

Will 9-1-1 treat a dive accident seriously?

YES. Absolutely! But rather than getting caught up in describing the cause of the problem, focus on the signs and symptoms. Emergency medical dispatcheers are trained to dispatch once the criteria for determining level of response has been met. The dispatcher may not know much about diving, but understands statements like... having problems breathing... can't move her legs... lost consciousness regardless of cause. Focus on the symptoms!

Drew Sailbum:
How 9-1-1 works
This might be how 911 works, but it may also NOT be how calling the emergency numbers in other countries work.
Just for information and consideration if you go to other parts of the world..

Drew Sailbum:
...rather than getting caught up in describing the cause of the problem, focus on the signs and symptoms. Emergency medical dispatcheers are trained to dispatch once the criteria for determining level of response has been met. The dispatcher may not know much about diving, but understands statements like... having problems breathing... can't move her legs... lost consciousness regardless of cause. Focus on the symptoms!

The problem is that a lot of healthcare professionals don't understand dive accidents. The minor symptoms, like achy joints, skin rash, etc, are usually not treated the way they shoud be - O2!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom