Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverDano:
I can't believe nobody has said the "real" reason to call 911 first.(or the authority in whatever locale) The reason you are supposed to call 911 first, trauma related emergency, or barotrauma, is because if there are several chambers in the area, not all of them will be manned or "hot". 911 has this information, and will act accordingly, sending patients to the appropriate care facility.
No they don't, thats not what they do at all. That is the realm of the medical control and the reciveing facility, not 911 in any way shape or form.

Wildcard:
No they don't, thats not what they do at all. That is the realm of the medical control and the reciveing facility, not 911 in any way shape or form.

Huh??....medical control???....if you suspect there is barotrauma, 911 will send you to a hospital with a running chamber, and not to one that doesn't. I'm 3 hrs from Seattle, and people have been medivacted to Seattle, and not taken to a local hospital, even with a chamber, because nobody was there to run it.

diverDano:
Huh??....medical control???....if you suspect there is barotrauma, 911 will send you to a hospital with a running chamber

no, not really

911 gets the medical responders on the scene. what happens from there depends on who responded, the protocol of the responders, and facility availability

has nothing to do with 911 anymore

Here, you go to an ER and once triaged/determined you need recompression, another ambulance takes you there. The facility doesn't have a real ER, it is a long term rehab care facility and uses the hyperbaric chamber primarily for wound healing. If you were to go directly to the chamber, you would find some old boy already in it. I wonder what the average time is prior to an acutely ill diver getting in to a chamber. I bet it is longer than you think, due to all the red tape of getting admitted to an ER first. In the USVI where I was a flight RN, we took them on small plane to Roosevelt Rhodes Navel base, because we did not have a chamber.

I have been very involved in critical care transport in SoCal for about 11 years, and I can never really get a clear understanding of exactly how one would comply with DAN requirements. It would be nice to see an open accounting of dive accidents and what actions were approved or facilitated by DAN (arrangements, payment, etc) as far as the resolution. Do they provide that? It would be very educational.

Catherine, So the only chamber here in the middle of nowhere is not at one of the big hospitals?!!!! I soooo did not know that. Do you know anything about their experience with divers? I started thinking with our low population maybe there is a very low occurrence of needing the chamber for divers.
Hmmm, maybe this is a hijack. Direct me to PM land someone, if I should.

DAN does not require that you consult with them regarding emeregency treatment and the transport required to get you stabilized etc. What they require you to have them arrange is evacutation and/or repatriation.

diverDano:
Huh??....medical control???....if you suspect there is barotrauma, 911 will send you to a hospital with a running chamber, and not to one that doesn't. I'm 3 hrs from Seattle, and people have been medivacted to Seattle, and not taken to a local hospital, even with a chamber, because nobody was there to run it.
Ive been a paramedic for more than twenty years with something more that 20,000 ambulance calls under my belt. im pretty sure I know just a little more than you about the subject. 911 dispatches a call then they are done, period, end of story, no exceptions. Destination is the call of medical control at the base hospital.

call 911 in an emergency. if you are driving home and feel weird...i would call dan first but try to find the nearest hospital

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom