Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wildcard:
Again, can you read? this is medical control at the base or reciving hospital. In some very small areas, I live in one of them, 911 dispatch is run by the PD and are SOMETIMES paid by FD and ambulance. Most often, 95% 911 is an answering service basicly, "911, fire, plice or ambulance?" then it is transfered to the dispatch center. Ive even seen areas that the fire dept extorts money from the privates to redispatch them. IE, 911-fire dispatch-EMS dispatch. makes for very slow response times.
As far as "hot" Im not aware of, but there may be, chambers that are staffed 24/7 but it makes little econimic sense and a delay of a couple of hours in the ER awaiting staff would be very common and except for AGE, not particularly harmful.
This immage you have of rushing someone with light and siren into a "hot" chamber is false. It just simply does not work like that.
Advice for new EMTs, which your not yet, you have two ears and one mouth for a reason, shut up and listen, you will learn much quicker.

ummmm....maybe you should should calm down and read more carefully yourself. I am not an emt in training, or desire to be one. I am a working diver in a small town with two chambers locally, with a third within a short flight. Flights from my 'little town' are fairly regular and common. Maybe i'm very fortunate to live in such a diving literate area.

Only one chamber is available at one time, so our local 'medical authority' knows which one has staff to run it. No one chamber is available 24/7, except Seattle.(which is a big city)

ya...youve got experience, but in your area of alaska and/or hawaii, i would bet dispatch would be different. in my area, dispatch is done when you dont need them anymore. If you need further/better directions, you call dispatch. if you need a specific address, you call dispatch. in some areas, all you have to do is pull down a switch to get pd, fire, and ems to show up. if it could involve a shooting/stabbing/assault, then they will let you know when pd says its safe to come around.

My bad, I confused you with a 19Y/O EMT intraining wanna be FF. Either way, chambers are not kept "hot". Most hyperbarics are scheduled medical appts and they don't staff them 24/7, just in case. Pts are transported to the ER, evaluated then shipped to a facility that has a chamber. In an area that had 7 hospitals, one had a chamber and we were directed to transport DCI pts there directly, these were standing orders and not due to the fact that they had a round the clock staff.

Jorbar1551:
ya...youve got experience, but in your area of alaska and/or hawaii, i would bet dispatch would be different. in my area, dispatch is done when you dont need them anymore. If you need further/better directions, you call dispatch. if you need a specific address, you call dispatch. in some areas, all you have to do is pull down a switch to get pd, fire, and ems to show up. if it could involve a shooting/stabbing/assault, then they will let you know when pd says its safe to come around.
And here is the 19Y/O wanna be. Please read the part about two ears and one mouth.
1102, that is my original CA paramedic license number, by seniority, when they renumbered by recert date it was changed to 04588 and it is current. If you look on CAEMSA website, you will see it. You will also see new medics (you have to me a paramadic to be a medic BTW) are at 30K + now? Havn't looked in a while. I have worked 11 counties in CA. Pea shooter, your firing on heavy armor. Your a student, a ride along and you dont know jack. Now shut the hell up and listen or you will never make it, anywhere.

diverDano:
....and to throw another wrench in here, we also can call the coasties, and get airlifted by them.
Clearly, you have never seen my rants about the coasties. Field folks are great, what they can do is dictated by some dipstick in an office. Most recent example. Adak Alaska July 2006. Rollover MVA, driver had his arm out the window and crushed his arm with an F350. No pulses, no sensation. Limb threating emergency. Two air ambulances in the area (within 1300 miles and 1300 to the nearest hospital)) First air ambulance is unavailable as we had just used them and they have down time requirements. Second flys for four hours, passes over on a "missed approach" and leaves. So we call Coast Guard Air station Kodak. After two hours of consultation, they said no, we are not coming. No reason given and the weather was fine. It took 23 hours to get a plane on the ground and my friend/room mate/ former team leader almost lost his arm due to this. It was a week later when they decided he 'may" be able to keep his arm due to the delays. I have a whole list of there screw ups as well as some amasing stuff they have pulled off, when they are turned loose to do there job.
The point is they don't have to/ won't always come either.

Wildcard:
And here is the 19Y/O wanna be. Please read the part about two ears and one mouth.
1102, that is my original CA paramedic license number, by seniority, when they renumbered by recert date it was changed to 04588 and it is current. If you look on CAEMSA website, you will see it. You will also see new medics (you have to me a paramadic to be a medic BTW) are at 30K + now? Havn't looked in a while. I have worked 11 counties in CA. Pea shooter, your firing on heavy armor. Your a student, a ride along and you dont know jack. Now shut the hell up and listen or you will never make it, anywhere.

On top of your accomplishments what terrible things have you done to make you feel it is necessary to be little others and pecker measure all the time. You could easily deliver your message without being holier than thou or abrasive.

Welcome to the board. Twice now in your many posts you have felt the need to stick your nose in. I have pointed out how things work in the real world yet this child keeps coming back with "where Im at".... I was nice, then I was firm, then I had to smack him, then I had to step on becouse he refuses to accept that his ideas are wrong despite what I and many others say.... Sorry but I will not stand by and let BS fly without calling it....And you feel your able to question me becouse? Please share. If you know more, Id love to hear what you have to say.

Wildcard:
Welcome to the board.
Thanks- I appreciate your generous spirit.
Wildcard:
Twice now in your many posts you have felt the need to stick your nose in.
Just because I don't post much doesn't mean I have not read this site for along time, nor does it mean that I am not aware of the community standards here. You will note that I was a participant in this thread before you, and I was on topic answering the OP's question. You have hijacked this thread into a personal attack because one person describes a different work experience than yours. I don't know if you or he or both are right wrong or indifferent.

Wildcard:
I have pointed out how things work in the real world yet this child keeps coming back with "where Im at"....
Unless you are willing to document that his area operates differently than he describes I see no reason to disblelieve him. If you had read more carefully you would realize that he was referring to when dispatch was out of the loop, not when the 911 center was done. and you could have quietly agreed with each other, instead you started to rant.

Wildcard:
I was nice, then I was firm, then I had to smack him then I had to step on becouse he refuses to accept that his ideas are wrong despite what I and many others say.... Sorry but I will not stand by and let BS fly without calling it....And you feel your able to question me becouse? Please share.
why do you believe that "I had to smack him". That is what I question, why do you seem to consistently feel that pointing to your credentials is not enough, why do you feel the need to belittle and insult others? some examples:
Wildcard:
19Y/O wanna be. Please read the part about two ears and one mouth
Wildcard:
Some peoples kids....
ROTFLMFAO,he's an EMT student telling ME about EMS, OMG!
Wildcard:
Again, can you read?
Funny since you are attacking the wrong person in this one.

Wildcard:
If you know more, Id love to hear what you have to say.
I find your behavoir boorish and offensive. I'd bet you don't act so rudely when your communication is not mediated by a keyboard. What I have to say is why don't you calm down and treat people with respect even if you disagree or have better information to provide. If you do so, I'll read what you have to say otherwise I'll simply ignore you, regardless of how experienced or right you may be.

Again. welcome to the board. My typing skills in no way reflect any other aspect of my life. I may make many typos and I cant spell worth a crap, this I deal with. My wife reads,writes and speaks five tounges yet I smoke her in math. We alll have our weaknesses (aint even close I know yet I dont care) but here is the deal. When I offer advice it's not BS, it's hard learned facts.
You find me, blah, blah ,blah yet you feel the need to keep posting,,not just here but on other threads....You offer to ignore me, yet you dont?....I agree, Im a jackass but Im not wrong.I pull no punches and I will stand behind anything I say but I am open to other ideas and yes, i have change my mind when offered other concepts, if they are right.

Back
Top Bottom