Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you think of DAN as a combination of insurance agent and reference librarian with dashes of research coordinator and job expediter thrown in you aren't very far off.

i'm not sure what DAN had in mind for the DAN forum

if the intent was to answer each and every question asked, then no, they're not doing that

but again, i'm not sure that was the intent

Dispatch is involved in every aspect of the call from the time they take the call, give pre-arrival instructions, and dispatch the unit until you are back in service. Dispatch gives us directions, patient status updates and updates on scene safety even before we get on scene. In most cases they are our link to other EMS systems, law, and/or fire services before and during a call.

Our dispatch is not done with the call until we do one of two things. We either transport the patient, call in that we are available for another call, or we call in to inform dispatch that we have a refuse to be transported and paperwork is filled out.

Last I checked ultimately in the case of a conscious patient it's their call to where they want to go
100% of the time. In the case of a non conscious patient then it's based on the needs of the
patient period. Patient has the ultimate right to go where they want.

Well Andy, the thread I read had a get back to you soon reply 3 months ago with nothing further on a similar question. If they had no intent of participating other than on occasional whim, what is the point of making DAN a forum and advertising:
Divers Alert Network (DAN) Partners with ScubaBoard

to bring some of their staff in contact with our users!

This private forum is but the FIRST step in a series of moves that will enable ScubaBoardians to interact with insiders, interns and even physicians (when they have the time). We have taken the largest name in Scuba Safety and combined them with the largest Scuba Community, Web Site, Forum and Publisher to get the best and latest information to the diving public.

So if you have ANY questions about the services that DAN supplies, ask right here. However, if you need some medical opinions, go to our Diving Medicine area and ask there!

We look forward to working with Divers Alert Network for many, many years to come.

Hmmm, is NetDoc guilty of promoting false statements? LOL:D

Not bashing DAN here, just renewed while this thread rolled. What I find shocking is their lack of response implies to me they don’t give a hoot. And it is my understanding DAN is
"...a combination of insurance agent and reference librarian with dashes of research coordinator and job expediter thrown in..."
Seems to me a bad business tactic to ignore customers you invited in for customer service, let alone potential customers. When choosing dive insurance I read every thread that came up on the various providers. And it was reading here that got me to pay them money.

They went three months without responding untill I brought that up. See "what the point" They were called and responded to some posts then left again. If they want to advertise, they shouold do that straight up and not under the guise of a helpful subsection. Bad business IMHO.

Jorbar1551:
Dispatch is involved in every aspect of the call from the time they take the call, give pre-arrival instructions, and dispatch the unit until you are back in service. Dispatch gives us directions, patient status updates and updates on scene safety even before we get on scene. In most cases they are our link to other EMS systems, law, and/or fire services before and during a call.

Our dispatch is not done with the call until we do one of two things. We either transport the patient, call in that we are available for another call, or we call in to inform dispatch that we have a refuse to be transported and paperwork is filled out.

Last I checked ultimately in the case of a conscious patient it's their call to where they want to go
100% of the time. In the case of a non conscious patient then it's based on the needs of the

That may be the way it's done in San Ramon, but it's not that way in a lot of other places. I've been in healthcare since 1989, have worked with several different departments/agencies of various sizes and have never worked with a dispatch that was that involved. Usually they were too busy answering phones and dispatching other units to calls to be able to dedicate themselves to one particular unit. Maybe San Ramon just isn't that busy and they can afford to dedicate themselves exclusively to each call that comes in. Just because you call in available also doesn't mean that dispatch was standing by breathlessly waiting for that available call. It looks like you're taking this all the wrong way. Dispatch is not as knowledgable as you think they are. As for the patient having the right to go where they want, you're right, but it's sad that it's that way. Many patients take advantage of the system to get what they want. Many patients will hospital hop because they just came from a hospital where they didn't get what they wanted. My problem with the patient request system is that it takes units our of service for longer than they have to be and we don't have enough units as it is. And I'm talking about an average size city. It's even worse in big cities. Wildcard is being a little harsh in the way he is approaching your ignorance, but he's right. Just sit back and learn. In the real world, things are not as they may appear.

actually...i got those responses from paramedics and such that work in camden, new jersey, san francisco and oakland/alameda county

Jorbar1551:

If you're going to be quoting other sources, then you should state that from the beginning. Also, either your sources are giving you bad information or you are misinterpreting what they say. A word of advice: speak from your own experience, not others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom