Who to call first? Not DAN?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in your 30,000 plus calls, have you ever had the need to call dispatch back?

I think I may see wherein confusion lies; it’s inherent in any ‘emergency’. Difficult to put one sentence to cover such variety of severity such as life and death vs. something is weird. The steps in the response process such as stabilization, diagnosis and advanced care frequently involving travel from one source to another. A lay person is very likely to view his needs and the terminology very differently than professionals. From reading this thread, clearly there is a variety situations and ‘best’ ways to get help, making it further difficult to assign a pat instruction that covers all bases. Further contributing is insurance coverage directed to a traveling individual with complicated travel requirements as well as reservations previously made with their rules for dealing with extenuating circumstances. Add a uninjured companion or two…well, I’m impressed anyone is willing to provide insurance covering all these, frequently expensive issues.

It was my understanding a great deal of what DAN provides divers is diving specific knowledge to assist determining the severity of the situation or complaint and treatment recommendations for the bulk of medical providers – those with little or no experience with diving related trauma or illness.
I agree the terms of coverage were not instantly clear to me when reading them and the wording could be improved. However I don’t find them any less clear than the numerous policies I’ve examined, all are downright confusing. I’ve always had to speak to a representative and ask about a specific issue.

I find it disturbing DAN has not got back on this here at all let alone promptly. I would think they’d be eager to clear up any misunderstanding’s considering there is more than one Dive Insurance provider. And in light of the relative convenience of telling it once here vs. several thousand independent phone calls.

redrover:
..I find it disturbing DAN has not got back on this here at all let alone promptly. I would think they’d be eager to clear up any misunderstanding’s

ME TOO?

i'm not sure DAN reads every single thread on every single scuba board out there

DAN would be interested in clearing up the misundrestandings personally if someone asks, but you can't ask them to be watching every conversation we have. Search DAN and see how much comes up.

H2Andy:
i'm not sure DAN reads every single thread on every single scuba board out there
DAN went almost three months without answering in the DAN section. Only when I brought it up was DAN contacted by the board to reply. Then it was "call DAN". I think people far overestamate DAN and why they are in business.

I would not expect them to look here but I do expect them to look in the DAN forum.

there is a medical scuba website that a lot of dan people visit. its like scuba-doc.com or something like that

Wildcard:
I would not expect them to look here but I do expect them to look in the DAN forum.

the DAN forum is a ScubaBoard forum, and I doubt it's been integrated into the DAN response team (yet?)

i'd love to see DAN monitoring the DAN forum here, but, realistically ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom